The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Defines a Great Guitarist?
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

According to Derek Smalls, if ur a bass player, it's a cucumber but he notes that wrapping it in tin foil is not wise.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
We all used to do that back then - didn't turn many of us into geniuses, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
We all used to do that back then - didn't turn many of us into geniuses, though
I remember using a computer program called ‘SlowGold’ (puffs on pipe) and
listening to solos at 1/10th speed on a loop...It put me where I am today.

I don’t mind the medication here and doctor says I’m getting better
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
What I'm confused by is how that would have worked pitch-wise. An LP at 33rpm slowed to 16rpm is roughly the same pitch - but what if your record player didn't go to 16rpm or you were working from a 45rpm single?
No idea read it in guitar magazines from interviews with Beck Page Clapton and co..
45 to 33rpm I thought it was.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Attack and Vibrato.
+ Tasty Licks.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Plays a fretless guitar.
Plays a double neck guitar.
Plays > double neck guitar
Plays two guitars stuck together back to back and named MichaelAngelo.
Has a name like BumbleHead or BucketFoot
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
Technique? Style? Writing? Showmanship? Looks? Uses tube amps? Uses sims? What?

IMO innovation is #1

If you look at the true greats it is originality that sets them apart from their peers
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep4Eva View Post
I wonder how much that thing weighs
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I used to live in Escondido in the 90's, and JJ Cale was a good customer of mine when I worked in the music stores. A very nice man.

Skynyrd rocked this hard
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischoir View Post
Skynyrd rocked this hard
Yes. Clapton rocked this hard.

I would have never known JJ was famous, he was so humble...until I met his girlfriend. Christine was so hot...
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
No idea read it in guitar magazines from interviews with Beck Page Clapton and co..
I've read it too, I just never understood how they dealt with everything ending up in a different key/position.
tbh I'm mystified how anyone learned guitar back then, let alone became as brilliant as the people you name (and who all made it in their teens.) There were almost no books on how to play guitar and what little sheet music that existed was either wrong or adapted for piano.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

It was hard even in my day.

Old 19th January 2020
Quote:
Technique? Style? Writing? Showmanship? Looks? Uses tube amps? Uses sims? What?

None of that crap!

Musicianship, pure and simple.
Old 19th January 2020
Quote:
And you gotta have a good look...
Screw dat!
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
It was hard even in my day.

Lolz
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
We used to slow it down by hand - putting your finger on the record or the side of the deck. Yes, the pitch was wrong, but it let you listen to the phrasing, and it taught you to recognise intervals as well, so no matter what the pitch was doing, you could tell what notes were being played by their relation to each other.
Old 19th January 2020
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Screw dat!
Used to be true but "Video killed the radio star", right?
Old 20th January 2020
Gear Addict
Playing something you didn’t know you wanted to hear.
Old 20th January 2020
Lives for gear

As far as I am concerned THIS defines not only a great guitarist but THE GREATEST.

https://www.facebook.com/MusicIsLife...4970231525344/

Just FTR I don't use Facebook or any insidious surveillance software but this is safe not requiring an account or any sort of ID.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpyter View Post
Playing something you didn’t know you wanted to hear.
Exactly, if I wanted them to play exactly what I hear, I could hire any kid off the street to do that. My old guitarist (who I worked with for many years) would play things I NEVER would have thought of.
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Art is an expression of life. The measure of successful art is the emotional reaction of it’s audience.

AKA: If you like it, it’s good.
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've read it too, I just never understood how they dealt with everything ending up in a different key/position.
tbh I'm mystified how anyone learned guitar back then, let alone became as brilliant as the people you name (and who all made it in their teens.) There were almost no books on how to play guitar and what little sheet music that existed was either wrong or adapted for piano.
A lot of those guys brought their guitars to school, played at breaktime, then played at home at night, then at the weekend.
Clapton said he would spend a whole weekend practicing a few licks to get them down perfectly.

I do know Tom Morello has said he practiced 8 hours a day (or more) at one point.
Patience i guess , a ****load of patience , dedication, obsession ...

McCartney talked about how the 3 Beatles jumped on a bus across Liverpool to learn the chord B7 from a guy who knew how to play it...
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
McCartney talked about how the 3 Beatles jumped on a bus across Liverpool to learn the chord B7 from a guy who knew how to play it...
They did well with it, and expanding too. Have you ever seen some of their written arrangements in notation?

F'n genius writing.
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Maniac

- words have lost their meaning -

-define great -

Last edited by Quantumphysics; 31st January 2020 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: waste of time
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
They did well with it, and expanding too. Have you ever seen some of their written arrangements in notation?

F'n genius writing.
Totally.
Yeah I have a guitar music score/ tab book 'The Beatles on Guitar' (or something like that) definitely one of the best purchases I ever made.
It has a tab of " Because" ...which I think was a bit of a rip of some classical peice by Lennon, totally cool piece to play
Old 21st January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumphysics View Post
- too many off shoots - songwriter ect....

On topic - a great guitar player = a good person - humility - still mind - ability - imagination - recall - good listener - attention span - staying out of the way - EQ/blend/gear choice for the situation - fearless - having a demo - play what one hears in their head - prepared - adds to not detracts from - sense of humor - knows when to sit out - knows what to request in a mix/sound check - doesn't hold resentments - learns music they dislike - knows when it's not their gig - takes a risk - doesn't self medicate - progress not perfection.

- this comedians brain dump - 30 quotes in 17 minutes - https://youtu.be/RDG1vbx6Kns
I know and like a lot of really good musicians and a few I call my friends but very few of them fit this politically correct picture you're painting. Many of them are kinda broken, some I know are from rough childhoods, others are just wired weird, and I know several who wouldn't know humility if they ran into it face first . Don't take this as any sort of defense of bad character but there is a lot of truth in the old cliche that "Art comes from pain". It sure as Hell doesn't come from living a flat, uneventful life. Roller Coasters are where it's at for the most part.

It's one thing to have a massive vocabulary. It's quite another to have something worth saying.
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Maniac

- discipline -

Last edited by Quantumphysics; 31st January 2020 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: waste of time
Old 22nd January 2020
None of that crap.

Two things :

First, taste.

Second, suffering enough pain in your live experiences to actually have something to say in your music.
Old 22nd January 2020
Gear Addict
Releasing loads of guitar [email protected] albums, none of which have any direction, yet enough to stir a comatose patient into anger, waking up and violently shaking all his limbs while demanding a massive amount of icecold bottled beer.

edit: almost forgot, everything is meaningless garbage unless a tube amp is in there, mixed behind the sim amps of course, and produced by a grammy winner that works for Universal or one of their subsidiaries, because they actually know what guitar music should sound like - being around all the best hip hop artists and whatnot
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search