The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me choose a guitar amp for jamming and recording clean tones
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheep View Post
I found this video useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeDr7u_hwGA

It plays the Tone Master next to the original tube version.

For me it was easy to pick out the tube, sounded more 'alive', bit more high end too. So I think you're right about the tone not being quite there yet.

This makes me think I probably do want a proper tube amp.
Tube amps are a very mature technology, yet there is still plenty of room for experimentation for manufacturers to make new sounds. Not all are blindly reissuing "improved" vintage designs.
What I suggested was a flexible solution on a budget. With modular setup its all tube, yet if you want to integrate SS or Digital tech pres or power amps in the future you easily can , expanding the palette and not upsetting the cart. And it is as cheap as you want to make it. I am now to ~30 pres in the inventory which can be used with any of my power amps, or run into an effects loop return (we very successfully used an AMT SS-11B into a mesa road king to record a metal album, which did very well. ) Its also very portable and parts are easily replaceable or substitute-able should anything go wrong or you just want a change.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A Fender, you need a Fender.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Find a used Fender Blues Jr.

I have a friend who has vintage amps, nice ones, plus I've seen him with a PRS amp and a Tone King, etc. But gigging he grabs the Blues Jr. It's heavily modified, I think.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. I like the limited editions with a 12" speaker instead of 10" Add a couple pedals of your choice. Torpedo Captor for recording into your interface.

Boom.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

None of these fenders are versatile enough to be the only studio amp, and the Blues Delux (or similar) are not reliable enough and require $$$ of fine-tuning to sound decent. Of course everything is in comparison.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

+1 for the Fender Blues Jnr or Pro Junior a lot of guitarists swear by them. If you want a fender clean sound buy a fender.
Great value used.

I’ve had a Victory head, v40 countess I think it was, the 6L6 one. Has a lovely clean channel , tons of options on it.no direct out tho. massive amounts of gain on channel 2 though maybe more geared to the heavier styles. Then you need a matching cab which is another variable.

Hughes and Kettner do a small valve amp with a built in direct out it’s a tubemeister series I think...

I think if you play pop/funk/Jazz go a Fender.

I’ve had a Blues Deluxe Reissue great sound but VERY loud.

Also Roland Jc40 ..super clean,stereo, chorus and reverb if it’s mainly pop jazz but its an 80s throwback sound :/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep4Eva View Post
+1 for the Fender Blues Jnr or Pro Junior a lot of guitarists swear by them. If you want a fender clean sound buy a fender.
Great value used.

I’ve had a Victory head, v40 countess I think it was, the 6L6 one. Has a lovely clean channel , tons of options on it.no direct out tho. massive amounts of gain on channel 2 though maybe more geared to the heavier styles. Then you need a matching cab which is another variable.

Hughes and Kettner do a small valve amp with a built in direct out it’s a tubemeister series I think...

I think if you play pop/funk/Jazz go a Fender.

I’ve had a Blues Deluxe Reissue great sound but VERY loud.
Fender clean is in the BF or tweed fenders. Early SF. The blues series sounds nothing like it.
Victory is a much better amp (not a good $$$).
I have the Blues Deluxe - being fixed (3 month already, but not missing it). The Blues jr, we never used for guitar, only as a drum machine kick enhancer (its crap). Currently its on loan - not missing it either.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Fender clean is in the BF or tweed fenders. Early SF. The blues series sounds nothing like it.
Victory is a much better amp (not a good $$$).
I have the Blues Deluxe - being fixed (3 month already, but not missing it). The Blues jr, we never used for guitar, only as a drum machine kick enhancer (its crap). Currently its on loan - not missing it either.
Oh right..I should’ve added a caveat Ive never owned either a blues jnr or a pro junior..gigging friends recommend them as a good smaller solution. Really you found it no good at all ?wow.

I got the Victory lightly used for $1000 AUD

Maybe look at those PRS heads that came out a few years ago ..gotta be one of those that’s decent enough and they are cheap now used.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh right..I should’ve added a caveat Ive never owned either a blues jnr or a pro junior..gigging friends recommend them as a good smaller solution. Really you found it no good at all ?wow.

I got the Victory lightly used for $1000 AUD

Maybe look at those PRS heads that came out a few years ago ..gotta be one of those that’s decent enough and they are cheap now used.
I've heard much better sounding (and much cheaper ) Bugera's
Thats a good price for a Victory

I have an Archon, Sweet18 (?) and another one similar to archon. They are good if you can get them cheap
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I don't think OP should necessarily rule the Blues Jr out. I've personally never clicked with it, but an engineer at a busy local studio in my city told me it's their most-used/requested amp and I've known lots of players who love it (mostly jazzers). No one can say it wouldn't be your favorite too. You need to try a few things and see what speaks to you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I've heard much better sounding (and much cheaper ) Bugera's
Thats a good price for a Victory

I have an Archon, Sweet18 (?) and another one similar to archon. They are good if you can get them cheap
Oh true..may have to check out Bugera then.
Yeah the Sonzera or Dallas I was thinking of ..I saw a head 2nd hand $650 used
They gotta be decent enough.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh true..may have to check out Bugera then.
Yeah the Sonzera or Dallas I was thinking of ..I saw a head 2nd hand $650 Jerez
They gotta be decent enough.
There are some made in the US and some Asian. I presume they are very similar. My Archon was ~4k$ bit i got is ~900$ cause not many people know the difference. They are a little dry sounding but ok overall. PRS bought the designs of a boutique maker (forget the name), his amps sounded like that too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
There are some made in the US and some Asian. I presume they are very similar. My Archon was ~4k$ bit i got is ~900$ cause not many people know the difference. They are a little dry sounding but ok overall. PRS bought the designs of a boutique maker (forget the name), his amps sounded like that too.
Yeah the demos sound good (if you can believe them)

The Asian tube stuff can be ok at least it’s some value for your money ..I had a Joyo sweet baby 5w it was pretty fine for $250!

I have my eye on one of those Ibanez tube screamer amps at the moment ..there’s a 15w head for $400 used or a combo $500 ..10” or 12” speaker 6L6 and a built in TS overdrive that could be a pick for the OP
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Buy a male to 2male 1/4inch splitter cable. One plugs into your amp so you can jam and have fun with 0 latency - the other is being recorded either into your computer or a field recorder. Now you will have a clean direct signal from your guitar that you can later do whatever you want with - even send it to an analog amp to record its sound if you wish.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah the demos sound good (if you can believe them)

The Asian tube stuff can be ok at least it’s some value for your money ..I had a Joyo sweet baby 5w it was pretty fine for $250!

I have my eye on one of those Ibanez tube screamer amps at the moment ..there’s a 15w head for $400 used or a combo $500 ..10” or 12” speaker 6L6 and a built in TS overdrive that could be a pick for the OP
I have a Vox HW AC30 and a 63 Vox AC30TB and a 69 Vox AC30TB and the Chinese amp is as good.
Remember Chinese were making musical instruments when we in Europe were still climbing trees
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have a Vox HW AC30 and a 63 Vox AC30TB and a 69 Vox AC30TB and the Chinese amp is as good.
Remember Chinese were making musical instruments when we in Europe were still climbing trees
HW AC30.. niiiice
I’m sure the handwired ones are great 100% would buy.
The cheaper ones I’d be a bit suspect.
Weren’t the first wave of cheaper Ac30s blowing up or something?
For sure the Chinese can make good stuff but I’ll bet a lot of the companies drive them to the wall on cost to make bigger margins..my experience was with the valevetronix , line 6’s etc in the past..cheap as chips made in China etc..junk!

Great collection btw
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
HW AC30.. niiiice
I’m sure the handwired ones are great 100% would buy.
The cheaper ones I’d be a bit suspect.
Weren’t the first wave of cheaper Ac30s blowing up or something?
For sure the Chinese can make good stuff but I’ll bet a lot of the companies drive them to the wall on cost to make bigger margins..my experience was with the valevetronix , line 6’s etc in the past..cheap as chips made in China etc..junk!

Great collection btw
I still have the AC30cc1 (?) from the first batch with Blues. Its fine. Had an issue with the trem, got fixed now its been ok for like 15 years.
They make those Eastman guitars - they are excellent.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpyter View Post
Buy a male to 2male 1/4inch splitter cable. One plugs into your amp so you can jam and have fun with 0 latency - the other is being recorded either into your computer or a field recorder. Now you will have a clean direct signal from your guitar that you can later do whatever you want with - even send it to an analog amp to record its sound if you wish.
You don’t need to use a splitter if you have an interface like Apogee Ensemble (also Apollo I think?) that has a guitar reamping path. The di goes into the interface and you can run 0 latency back out into your amp and mic that and record both at once. (And you can send back out to an amp later too.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the HW sound better to you? I’ve been curious for a while.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasterz View Post
Does the HW sound better to you? I’ve been curious for a while.
Seems to sound abit fuller, and more organic. But the standard one is not too bad at all. Make sure you get Celstion Blues in it - big part of sound. Or vintage Goodmans :-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

I always look around the 2nd hand market for older boutique-y gear in good condition ..make an offer.
some of those ‘clones ‘ like Ceriatone maybe..a better bang for the buck.

Older Hughes and Kettner maybe ..My local shop had a ‘statesman EL84’ amp as the shop amp for a while it was pretty frickin good! Decent build.

Look for a small Dr. Z amp !!! \m/
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I still have the AC30cc1 (?) from the first batch with Blues. Its fine. Had an issue with the trem, got fixed now its been ok for like 15 years.
They make those Eastman guitars - they are excellent.
Oh true..I like the look of Eastman , funky retro \m/
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I always look around the 2nd hand market for older boutique-y gear in good condition ..make an offer.
some of those ‘clones ‘ like Ceriatone maybe..a better bang for the buck.

Older Hughes and Kettner maybe ..My local shop had a ‘statesman EL84’ amp as the shop amp for a while it was pretty frickin good! Decent build.

Look for a small Dr. Z amp !!! \m/
I dont like H&K much. A little lifeless. An Engle is similar but better IMHO.
I have several Dr.Z amps. Like them alot. Its like vintage with a tiny bit hair-rock
I like Ceriatone amps. Have a Dumble copy - as good as my Two Rock and Fuchs.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh true..I like the look of Eastman , funky retro \m/
Great quality and sound. Look good too
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seems to sound abit fuller, and more organic. But the standard one is not too bad at all. Make sure you get Celstion Blues in it - big part of sound. Or vintage Goodmans :-)
Hmm I would probably go HW then. Unless you were to say “save your money there’s NO difference!” It’s nice to save money but space is a bigger consideration and I try not to waste it on “95% of the way there”.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I dont like H&K much. A little lifeless. An Engle is similar but better IMHO.
I have several Dr.Z amps. Like them alot. Its like vintage with a tiny bit hair-rock
Those Z’s make me foam at the mouth. What’s the price on a smaller Z combo still big bucks ??
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
ENGLs are beasts
I see a Ceriatone 5w champ something for sale $450 ..pull the trigger or nah? XD
Would still need a cab but..
There’s an amp builder down here in melbourne ‘Valvetone’ ..sells his stuff pretty much near cost I reckon.
check out ‘The Master Jim’ Marshall clone on YouTube..https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xlYRBCR3ir4
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
ENGLs are beasts
I see a Ceriatone 5w champ something for sale $450 ..pull the trigger or nah? XD
Would still need a cab but..
There’s an amp builder down here in melbourne ‘Valvetone’ ..sells his stuff pretty much near cost I reckon.
check out ‘The Master Jim’ Marshall clone on YouTube..https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xlYRBCR3ir4
Not familiar with our guy. Ceriatone, dont go for small amps. They are an in-between thing, go for their Marshall copy. Its actually very good. I am looking to buy one myself too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If you want the best tone, I'd recommend getting a proper tube amp, and miking it. Not a bad skill to learn, and its not rocket science.

Blues Jr is great. Or if you can swing it, a vintage silverface Princeton Reverb from the 70s. I'd say blackface, but that's getting expensive now.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Have you tried the Neural DSP Plini?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search