The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kemper vs Fender Deluxe Reverb
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Head

Kemper vs Fender Deluxe Reverb

Hello, gs

I need a serious amp for my home studio. Recording is my only purpose. I'm not gigging. My room is not treated. And I live in an apartment. I can't get crazy loud.

Which one would you get? Considering my conditions Kemper feels like a better choice but I have doubts.

Can Kemper sound ACTUALLY good clean/low gain (Especially with single coils)? Is it significantly better than amp sims?

ps: It doesn't have to be deluxe reverb, I'm asking kemper vs any smaller fenderish amp
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Deluxe is way too loud. I'd go with something smaller, such as 5 watt Marshall, or even 1 watt Marshall. And there's pedals galore, some sound really good.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Head
Have you seen the new tonemaster line by Fender? They look just like a DR or a twin, but they’re totally digital emulations. They weigh less, can be attenuated to like .2 watts (so super quiet), and you can even do a line out to a PA or interface for silent recording. When you do the line out it can model the sound as if you’re recording it with a 57, I think. I’ve played it, sounds great, sounded better than the ‘64, ‘65, and ‘68 RIs and it feels like the real thing.

Kemper is a bit more expensive and infinitely more versatile, but you might have more fun being able to just plug/play with a “real” amp. I want a Kemper but frankly I’m scared of having too many options and not being able to commit to a sound.

If you’ve got lots of cash, or feel like saving, check out the Tone King Imperial MkII (like a DR on steroids but has a great attenuater - that’s what I’m saving for), a Victory V20, or any other number of great boutique amps.

Bottom line is if you need to go super quiet, you probably either need a great digital emulator or an attenuator. Even a 5W or 1W amp will be LOUD.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswintertime View Post
Have you seen the new tonemaster line by Fender? They look just like a DR or a twin, but they’re totally digital emulations. They weigh less, can be attenuated to like .2 watts (so super quiet), and you can even do a line out to a PA or interface for silent recording. When you do the line out it can model the sound as if you’re recording it with a 57, I think. I’ve played it, sounds great, sounded better than the ‘64, ‘65, and ‘68 RIs and it feels like the real thing.

Kemper is a bit more expensive and infinitely more versatile, but you might have more fun being able to just plug/play with a “real” amp. I want a Kemper but frankly I’m scared of having too many options and not being able to commit to a sound.

If you’ve got lots of cash, or feel like saving, check out the Tone King Imperial MkII (like a DR on steroids but has a great attenuater - that’s what I’m saving for), a Victory V20, or any other number of great boutique amps.

Bottom line is if you need to go super quiet, you probably either need a great digital emulator or an attenuator. Even a 5W or 1W amp will be LOUD.
Thank you for the answer. I've seen demos of tonemasters. They look pretty cool. But they are about the same price with the umpowered Kemper in my country. Do you think tonemasters sound better than Kemper?
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by madseason View Post
Thank you for the answer. I've seen demos of tonemasters. They look pretty cool. But they are more expensive than the umpowered version of Kemper in my country. Do you think tonemasters sound better than Kemper?
In that case I’d probably just get the Kemper - the DR’s big advantage is that it’s a “real” amp, but if the Kemper is cheaper or about the same and you’ll still feel inspired playing the Kemper, then you’re getting infinitely more versatility.

Is it better at the DR model than the TMDR? I don’t know, but there are so many great fender-type Kemper profiles out there (check out the tone monkey Kemper profiles of the Tone King Imperial - GORGEOUS), that I think you could probably find as good or better tones with the Kemper anyway.

Edit: and of course you can always get whatever real model DR you like and a good attenuator separately. If there’s an amp you just fuggin love but it’s too loud, that’s what I’d do.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswintertime View Post
feel inspired playing the Kemper.
this says Volumes ...

Kemper and then a Small MIcro Amp if you need to hear something once in a while ..
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

In an apartment situation i would go for the Kemper. Almost limitless tone options at whatever volume you want to play at. Headphones or through studio monitors or into some little amp or powered speaker. Honestly in my basement studio I have a number of great tube amps, vintage Fenders a few boutique amps. My step daughter just moved in with a 1 and 2 year old. I won't be cranking any amps much for a while. So I may be selling a couple to buy a Kemper.
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Guru

Strymon Iridium - and save a ton of cash. I've got a vintage 65 blackface, and the Iridium, and I'm fine using the Iridium on clean stuff with a pedalboard out front. From the clips I've heard, it sounds as good if not better than the Kemper on the fender & Marshall stuff.
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Strymon Iridium - and save a ton of cash. I've got a vintage 65 blackface, and the Iridium, and I'm fine using the Iridium on clean stuff with a pedalboard out front. From the clips I've heard, it sounds as good if not better than the Kemper on the fender & Marshall stuff.
Bill, what pedals are you using in front of the iridium? A spring reverb and tremolo pedal?
Old 9th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Bill, what pedals are you using in front of the iridium? A spring reverb and tremolo pedal?
Whatever the guitarist playing brings in. Lots of stuff. EP boosts usually, all types of dist / drive pedals and TONS of ambient style delays, verbs & modulation stuff.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Addict

Kemper is probably the best amp sim as of yet (late 2019) but it's still not 100% there, especially in regards to treble strings. I have one and rarely use it. I too live in an apartment and record with pre-1980's Fenders, recording them in the bathroom of the apt with the door closed.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

If you want a tube amp you might want to check out a used Carr Mercury. Eight watts down to 1/10 watt, two boost positions, reverb, single power tube that you can switch out. Pretty versatile by itself, and you can always add pedals.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

DI all your stuff into the DAW with a great free amp sim plugin like Blue Cat Amp for a reference. Then reamp out to a low watt amp when the neighbors are gone.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Guru

If you want a real amp - I'd suggest the Emery Micro Baby. 1 Watt. My favorite amp. I probably like it better than my 60's blackface. But at the least, it stands shoulder to shoulder with it.

http://www.emerysound.com/Microbaby.html
Old 10th December 2019
Get a small amp head and a Two Notes...
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Maniac

Plenty of good advice here already... I have a 70's Deluxe, and it's almost certainly more amp than you need for low volume recording. Its sweet spot (i.e. mildly breaking up/punchy sounding) is gonna be WAY louder than you (or your neighbors) will want.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Even a 5-watt amp, in an apartment where you want to be quiet, will be way too loud. Crank that up and your neighbors will hate you!

If you must have a good sound at very low volumes then one of the high quality amp sims (Kemper included) is the way to go.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Personally I'd rather have a Suhr PT15 for the best of both worlds but although "both worlds" isn't quite the price of both, it isn't far off. However the Suhr Reactive Load goes for about three fiddy and there are amps under 500 bux that are quite decent which totals about half the cost of a Kemper...
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Nut

My smallest amp is a Vibro Champ and I love it but it would be way to loud for an apartment. Even with a small amp you still need to crank it a bit to get those desirable tones.

With a Kemper (as mentioned above) you can create infinite tones without disturbing anyone at any time.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear
A Kemper would definitely work, but they're costly.

Haven't played the Iridium, but that does seem worth checking out.

A load box would allow you to use a tube amp silently; there's plenty to choose from, including Two Notes, Suhr and others. Something like a Princeton Reverb is quiet enough to get nice cleans mic'd but turned up with a load box and you'll get power tube distortion.

I have 4 tube amps, but usually when I'm playing I'll go through my Eleven Rack. Picked it up used for $250 and while it doesn't exactly nail the sound of my Fenders, editing the patches gets me great sounds - with the benefit of effects, different models, and it acts as my audio interface. It also has a re-amping feature built-in, although I haven't used that yet.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

I do a lot of session work and have a Kemper and a BFDR as well as other amps.
The Kemper is a great recording tool and it’s amazing on bass. I actually think it might be better for bass than guitar.
The new rig manager editor makes the Kemper a lot easier to use and there are a ton of tonal colors and effects if you like to experiment.

I’ve used most of the plugin amp sims for years and to me, the Kemper is much better. It’s pretty hard to make a Deluxe Reverb sound bad but depending on the profile, the Kemper can sound great or terrible. Just because you own a great amp doesn’t mean you can record it well and a profile is the amp PLUS recording chain. I use real pedals in front of the Kemper and I typically use plugins for effects and that gives me the best sound with the most versatility.

If I were heading to a quick gig or if the house were on fire I’d grab the deluxe. If I were touring and had to be on in ears, I’d use the Kemper. For recording at all hours, Kemper.

Last edited by guavadude; 10th December 2019 at 07:51 PM..
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

I strongly recommend the Joyo American Sound pedal. $50

Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Many or most the the great guitar recordings in history were made on a Fender amp. You can get world class tones on a small Fender amp at reasonable volumes.

It is hard to find a single great guitar recording using a Kemper. if you find one, please post it. It is not the same as a real amp, and doesn't really behave or sound like one. It behaves and sounds like what it is - a simulation of an amp.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

^^^^
Here we go.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop View Post
Many or most the the great guitar recordings in history were made on a Fender amp. You can get world class tones on a small Fender amp at reasonable volumes.

It is hard to find a single great guitar recording using a Kemper. if you find one, please post it. It is not the same as a real amp, and doesn't really behave or sound like one. It behaves and sounds like what it is - a simulation of an amp.
Yes %90 of the Kemper demos I've heard sounded horrible. And they usually use millions of digital sounding effects on it. It's almost like they're trying to make it sound worse. I've never heard a warm, creamy Kemper sound. I still want to believe that it's not Kemper's fault, people on youtube are just tasteless, lol.
Old 10th December 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
To demonstrate cleans here's a pop song I recorded with my Kemper. The amp profile is a clean JCM800, the guitars I'm playing are a Strat with humbuckers and a Gibson Tennessean also humbuckers. All tracks were recorded in the neck position with the exception of the little interlude at 1:45 in the middle position.

This is a copyrighted BMI song, (that no one likes by the way )I don't prefer to post entire songs, I'll leave it up for a little while.

https://audiomack.com/song/recordingtest/unbidden
Thank you very much. It sounds really nice. One of the better Kemper cleans I've heard. Have you ever used it with single coils? If yes, was it worse?
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madseason View Post
Yes %90 of the Kemper demos I've heard sounded horrible. And they usually use millions of digital sounding effects on it. It's almost like they're trying to make it sound worse. I've never heard a warm, creamy Kemper sound. I still want to believe that it's not Kemper's fault, people on youtube are just tasteless, lol.
If you are lookin for clean, warm, creamy, natural, organic - the kinda sounds a Fender blackface provides, a Kemper might not be right. The discography using Kempers is all metal and really heavy guitar. Lotta distortion. Lotta power chords. To me it always sounds processed. Doesn't sound like a real amp to me.

I'd just try one if I were you. I can usually tell pretty quickly if an amp is right for me or not.

I've had great results with small Fenders, like the Blues Jr. I had a Carr Rambler amp that was sublime, highly recommend Carr amps. But for me, there is no substitute for actual vintage tweed and blackface amps (or brown, or blonde). Can't go wrong with that.

There is no problem getting great clean tone at low volume, and if you can't crank it for natural overdrive, lotta pedals work great at bedroom volume.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Mark Knopler and Pat Metheny are using Kempers on tour and last time I checked they weren’t playing Hair Metal.
Just because YOU don’t know how to make one sound good doesn’t mean it can’t sound good.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Season Greetings to All and Sundry.....

" A limited and little knowledge is a dangerous thing"

Father Christmas

Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Mark Knopler and Pat Metheny are using Kempers on tour and last time I checked they weren’t playing Hair Metal.
Just because YOU don’t know how to make one sound good doesn’t mean it can’t sound good.
And here comes the attacks and hostility from the sim cult - right on cue.

If it can sound really good for blackfacey styles and sounds, link something (in a full mix). Nothing like that on the Kemper discography. I'm sure everyone would like to hear that.

If you are telling dude a Kemper can do what an actual blackface does hands down, you are being disingenuous and misleading.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search