The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Island Shop - information needed.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Island Shop - information needed.

Does anyone in the USA know of this company please?

Island Shop kwlakecities.com

Are they a reputable outfit? I want to make a purchase and have have been trying to contact them for over a week but without success. To all intents and purposes the whole thing looks like a spoof website with no details of where the business is located and no response to emails.

Do you know anything about the business at all and where they are situated? Any information would be most useful, and gratefully received.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 1 week ago at 07:12 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I believe you know this already, but this is without a doubt a spoof website. They just sell a random selection of almost everything at far beyond too good to be true prices. As the saying goes...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I believe you know this already, but this is without a doubt a spoof website. They just sell a random selection of almost everything at far beyond too good to be true prices. As the saying goes...
Thanks for comfirming that. I didn't know, it just looks fishy and there because there is no location for the business.

The things that makes you unsure, is the fact that it sits there boldly spoofing away on Google. There must be a method of removing it from Google if it actually is a spoof.

How on earth can this exist?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
Thanks for comfirming that. I didn't know, it just looks fishy and there because there is no location for the business.

The things that makes you unsure, is the fact that it sits there boldly spoofing away on Google. There must be a method of removing it from Google if it actually is a spoof.

Well the thing about Google, is they *could* do a lot to cut down on fraudulent websites and sites that encourage piracy, but they instead choose a very passive approach and rely on other people to point it out to them...and even then you’ll notice they just put a little “this website is reported as naughty, but here is the link if you are feeling naughty too” notice. If you’ve ever had a major label album or movie or whatever released and found it illegally via Google search then you know how futile reporting something even is...I’ve sat there and reported these sites...you report one site 100 more pop up. And again, it’s not like I have the power to take a website down, so google just posts a cute little notice. You can imagine it only takes one person’s credit card number to make one of these scams pay for themselves...so they are fine with making new sites over and over again.

I could go on and on about it, and I will not...but long story short, I’m always weary of where I enter my credit card info...stick to trusted sellers don’t give your number to just anyone with a hot price.
Old 1 week ago
A google search currently turns up nothing. Certainly appears to be a fake.

CORRECTION: Removing "island Cities" from the URL yields a working link. The place looks looks like a pawn shop selling off stuff online but when you actually look at the listings you see that they claim to have large numbers of the same used instruments in stock - this is highly unlikely to the point of impossibility. Nobody has 97 units of the same vintage Guild guitar in stock. It's impossible. If they're selling anything they're selling fakes,. but most likely all they're selling are promises and air.

I don't think they're even a Chinese counterfeit site - even the Chinese factories want more for their fakes than that.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
A google search currently turns up nothing. Certainly appears to be a fake.

CORRECTION: Removing "island Cities" from the URL yields a working link. The place looks looks like a pawn shop selling off stuff online but when you actually look at the listings you see that they claim to have large numbers of the same used instruments in stock - this is highly unlikely to the point of impossibility. Nobody has 97 units of the same vintage Guild guitar in stock. It's impossible. If they're selling anything they're selling fakes,. but most likely all they're selling are promises and air.

I don't think they're even a Chinese counterfeit site - even the Chinese factories want more for their fakes than that.
There is also a site where it is detailed as a spoof site. The items I was looking at might have been kosher as they could well have become available following a hire firm closing down, which happened in the UK recently. However, the discovery of the site listing it as a spoof site was a welcome find.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post

Google, Amazon, and Ebay don't care about spoof websites, counterfeit products, misrepresentations, and the like. I know this as I own a small business whose products have been copied.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

I guess they don't care because there isn't any legal follow up to prosecute them for doing it.

Try selling counterfeit goods on any town market, and the trading standards people will be all over you.

The internet is a bit like Dodge City, and most of the counterfeit products seem to originate in China from my experience. They even copy products and use the legal owners' original logos on them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search