The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Selling a head on Craiglist?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Selling a head on Craiglist?

Hi

Apologies if this should go elsewhere.

I have an amp (head only) that I would like to sell. Was thinking of putting it on CL, local to my area.

Thing is, I don't want people coming to my house. Not because I don't want them to check out the amp, as it's fine, but I don't want strangers coming over, some of whom (a small percentage, I get that) would call me when they are outside, "I am here, oh BTW - I brought my gf with me". They come in, and the guy pulls out a gun, while his gf proceeds to empty my house, while I am being held at gunpoint. Sure, the chances of that or something similar happening are really, really small, but it would be naive to think that would never happen.

On the other hand, I am not bringing the head to someone else's house. If they don't like it, and tell me they don't want to buy it, I have just wasted my time traveling back and forth, and they have no skin in the game.

If we meet in let's say, a local Walmart parking lot, that's good to me, and they can see the amp is fine from the way it looks. But if you were buying a used head from a complete stranger, would you not want to plug it in and make sure it works properly? I mean, it's not like you can return it.

I know there are other options, like reverb and ebay, but I would like to avoid fees if possible. Also, I am not very good at boxing big, heavy items.

Should I try CL and see what happens? Anyone with any experience selling gear this way - gear that can not be checked out?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The most mutually agreeable place to sell a head with no cabinet would be at a Guitar Center/similar music store. They don’t care, they want you to walk in so maybe you’ll see something shiny on the wall and buy it.

Most people I imagine would want to test an amplifier before they buy it, understandably. I generally do test things above a certain price point. If you were to make a habit of buying and selling investing in an inverter for your car to use as mobile power would be money well spent.

With all that said, I’ve bought and sold a lot on CL, and sometimes I’ll have people in my garage to test something out if it makes sense...like for an amplifier. I’ve never had a problem, the worst that’s happened is I’ve had people waste my time...which is generally down to people not being able to adhere to scheduled meeting arrangement...and i shut down those people pretty quickly...if you’re wishy washy I start ignoring you. I don’t typically sell very far from my house, but I have a few public areas that I usually meet people. I have had one person waste my time over a trade...I don’t normally do trades but I agreed to this one time, and he drove all the way here (45 minutes for him) and showed up with absolutely trashed gear for my mint...and I declined. Always ask for pictures...but he should have known well enough to disclose that, I just assumed he would be savvy like that...

But there’s always the chance someone shows up and either hates your gear or your gear has problems, and they waste your time. Yeah it’s annoying, but I also don’t believe it’s right to make the deal if they aren’t happy with it. Yeah, I’m not guitar center, people should research their purchases, but eventually you’ll run into someone that changes their mind for whatever reason and it’s best if you just let it go. Now, I don’t offer return policies, so I encourage people to check out the gear to their satisfaction before passing me the cash. With some fancier items like reel to reels I’ve spent an hour with them going through the channels and showing them how to do everything...and that’s okay because if i was the buyer I would do the same thing before spending thousands of dollars.

If all that sounds like too much of a hassle then CL may not be for you. For some items, I agree it’s not worth it. But some things are easier to unload locally, and it’s reassuring to have a face to face handshake transaction and once it’s done it’s done...as people on Reverb and eBay can of course return your item for almost any reason.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbinti View Post
Hi

Apologies if this should go elsewhere.

I have an amp (head only) that I would like to sell. Was thinking of putting it on CL, local to my area.

Thing is, I don't want people coming to my house.
Around my area the Police Stations have offered a Safe Zone Space for Craigslist/Ebay etc transactions. It's a large room at the station where you can meet the potential buyer (or seller for that matter) in the safety net of a Police Station.

I have and will sell on Craigslist with out worry. I just sold two Combo Amps in this manner - neither the buyer or myself knew any location info about the other. And as a side benefit - Craigslist type scammers won't agree to go to a Police Station - so the chances of getting scammed or ripped off are slim to none.

Check it out in your area.
Old 1 week ago

If you're worried about robbery, make sure you're armed. No need for it to show - put it in an IWB holster or wear a coat. If you're worried about just tipping off the thieves, move the amp and a cabinet to your living room away from your spendy gear....

Personally, I think that consigning it at your music store is the best bet. For the 20-25% they take, you get all that exposure and all the safety that a public shop provides... And the salesmen are always there to answer the questions.

-tINY

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The safe zone mentioned above is best, after you send them a video showing it working correctly.

I have my music room in the back of my house, when I sell something for pickup, I bring it to the front door and have it plugged in, ready to test. See it, hear it, pay for it and leave. People don't need to take their shoes off or take more than 2-3 steps into my home. I've done lots of CL'ing and have had very few, minor issues with my transactions. Mostly people describing things as being 'mint' and then receiving items that are dusty, which I hate! At least clean things before you sell them! Make it nice!

Your best bet is to make a short but comprehensive video testing it and send that to prospective buyers, then meet in a public place. Turn all the knobs, showing there's no dusty crackle, etc. close ups of any blemishes, that sort of thing.

I expect if someone is buying a used head, they should have done their research already to know what it sounds like and they're not coming to 'try it to see if they like it'. They should be ready to pay upon proof that it is in the condition described. No tire kickers.

I think if you lay your add out clearly in the first place, stating that you will meet publicly, firm on price, etc. You should be able to have a clean, quick transaction.

Oh, and if buyer/seller are reasonable people, I see nothing wrong with a request for a return. If I received something that had an issue the seller didn't mention, I'd definitely be on their case about it. I know if I missed something and someone came back to me about it, I'd make it right.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Another thing on the topic of safety, let someone know you are meeting a stranger. Seriously. Anybody. Even if its just a casual "Finally ditching this old amp!" to a friend followed by "Sale went smoothly!".

If you are really concerned, let someone know when/where you are meeting for the exchange so if you meet at 5pm but your friend doesn't hear from you by 5:15-5:30pm, there is a plan in place and you're not totally alone.

My GF always asks for details when I meetup with strangers as she's the smart one. Never had any concerns myself though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post
[FONT="comic sans ms"][COLOR="indigo"]
If you're worried about robbery, make sure you're armed.
good way for me to go to jail, thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies, and the insight. Maybe I will just list the head, and see what happens.

Interesting about the police safe zones - never heard of that.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by salbinti View Post
good way for me to go to jail, thanks.

Sorry, I didn't realize you lived in the UK.

-tINY

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Reverb - far less haggling, lookey-loo's, and you can always arrange for in-person pickup - at a mutual location. I've sold amp heads and guitars without issue. I've bought amp cabs on Craigslist, but it's more hassle. Ebay has also been annoying for me, with people winning and then saying "I don't have PayPal..."
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
The most mutually agreeable place to sell a head with no cabinet would be at a Guitar Center/similar music store. They don’t care, they want you to walk in so maybe you’ll see something shiny on the wall and buy it.
Many, if not most music stores frown heavily on people making private transactions on their premesis. They view private transactions as unfair competition and I don't blame them one bit.

The assumption is that if somebody is buying something on their property it should/must be from them and if you're selling something on their property they have the right to buy it at their price. Lots of stores will throw you out if they catch you making private transactions. Some may even ban you.

Some privately owned stores will take merchandise on consignment, for a percentage. Depending on local laws there may be some red tape involved.

Stores are there to make a profit so they can stay in business. They are not there to give you a place to compete with them.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Judge the voice first and use your own intuition through all stages. Of course, what you're selling I see as low risk.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Sorry, I didn't realize you lived in the UK.

Who said I lived in the UK?

I do not.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
Around my area the Police Stations have offered a Safe Zone Space for Craigslist/Ebay etc transactions. It's a large room at the station where you can meet the potential buyer (or seller for that matter) in the safety net of a Police Station.
That's awesome!
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I've sold some music gear on Craig's List and it has always been a hassle for me. People don't show up or cancel on you five minutes before, etc. That being said, it is a very convenient place to sell on to avoid paying for shipping costs. It just sucks that there's a lot of bad experiences with it. If you are going to go the Craig's List route, always talk to the person on the phone before agreeing to meet them. You can usually get a good or bad feeling about a person by talking to them and going over the details of the transactions.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search