The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Annoying buzz
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Annoying buzz

Hello,

My fellow guitarist player in our band has a very annoying buzz coming from his gear. We have investigated but are still clueless. Here is what was done :
  • No buzz with his guitar on my pedals and amp
  • He changed all his jack cables
  • We swapped amps, no buzz from his amp on my guitar and gear
  • He changed the DC for his pedals

While we thought it was a minor problem, last show we did the buzz was insane and the engineer had to put a gate on his mic. Of course it solved nothing as the buzz was still here while he played.

What did we miss to check ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Taking his amp to a tech.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by perenoel View Post
Hello,

My fellow guitarist player in our band has a very annoying buzz coming from his gear. We have investigated but are still clueless. Here is what was done :
  • No buzz with his guitar on my pedals and amp
  • He changed all his jack cables
  • We swapped amps, no buzz from his amp on my guitar and gear
  • He changed the DC for his pedals

While we thought it was a minor problem, last show we did the buzz was insane and the engineer had to put a gate on his mic. Of course it solved nothing as the buzz was still here while he played.

What did we miss to check ?

From your check list it sounds like there could be a gremlin or two in the pedal board. What happens when you plug your guitar into his pedals and amp? And is it different from when he plugs his guitar into the same?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
From your check list it sounds like there could be a gremlin or two in the pedal board. What happens when you plug your guitar into his pedals and amp? And is it different from when he plugs his guitar into the same?
Good point. Perhaps he should take his entire rig to a tech.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There needs to be very close to Zero "0" ohms difference between Guitar > Pedal board > Amp grounds and chassis. The problem is most likely the pedal board.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This is what i think too but we found no problem when i get my guitar on his rig. It is like his combination is cursed by old malevolent gods.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by perenoel View Post
This is what i think too but we found no problem when i get my guitar on his rig. It is like his combination is cursed by old malevolent gods.
That's it, blame the old malevolent gods - why not? Everybody else does!

Be prepared to receive a notice from the old malevolent gods anti-defamation society.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Uh, just to check, is he playing single coils while you play humbuckers?
Old 3 weeks ago
You say he has a pedalboard - is it AC powered?

One thing that might help is using an Ebtech hum eliminator between his pedalboard and amp. If the board is used in an FX loop it might take two channels of hum eliminator.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Uh, just to check, is he playing single coils while you play humbuckers?
Both hambuckers. One of his giutar have active, another passive, did not change the buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You say he has a pedalboard - is it AC powered?

One thing that might help is using an Ebtech hum eliminator between his pedalboard and amp. If the board is used in an FX loop it might take two channels of hum eliminator.
Thank you, i will look into that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have you tried firing the guitar player

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search