The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Two channel small combo ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Two channel small combo ?

Hi everyone !

I'm looking to buy a new guitar amplifier and seeking some advice to narrow down my options.

What I'd like to get is a low-wattage tube combo but with two independent footswitchable channels, not to big or heavy if possible (1x12 combo maybe) and a master volume :

- one clean channel but not too sterile or thin sounding, a warm tone with headroom. I had an old silver face fender bandmaster with an old 4x12 marshall with greenbacks that did it great but I sold it because it was too big to take on small gigs...
- one overdriven channel that can be pushed hard for crunchy/fuzzy sounds, I don't need heavy metal sounds. I had a vox AC15HTV combo once and the top boost channel sounded great when pushed, it only lacked some bass for my taste and the absence of master volume was a pain... I don't like to use overdrive pedals I always prefer the sound of the cranked amp for distortion.

Does something like that exist ? No real limit budget-wise...

Thanks !
Old 3 weeks ago

The Vox Night Train combo might work for you. That one is pretty versatile.

The Orange Rocker is popular - you may or may not like the clean channel.

The hotrod deluxe from Fender is a perennial favorite, but the clean is pretty spanky.

The trouble you have is the "not too sterile" and "with headroom" tend to be opposites on a clean channel. Unless you like the sound of microphonic tubes or speaker rattles.....

-tINY

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

The Vox Night Train combo might work for you. That one is pretty versatile.

The Orange Rocker is popular - you may or may not like the clean channel.

The hotrod deluxe from Fender is a perennial favorite, but the clean is pretty spanky.

The trouble you have is the "not too sterile" and "with headroom" tend to be opposites on a clean channel. Unless you like the sound of microphonic tubes or speaker rattles.....

-tINY

Yes I know, it's hard to get a clean but warm tone, it's okay if it gets a little bit gritty when pushed but not too much...
I'll try the ones you mentioned it's a start thanks !
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I got a BUGERA V22-INFINIUM 22-Watt Vintage 2-Channel Combo that does well for me. I have had no issues. There are some mods and tube switching that some do to them, but I didn’t feel it needed it. Came with the foot switch.

YMMV
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Fender Tonemaster Deluxe has been working out really well. Light, sounds pretty legit takes overdrive pedals well. Oh and it's LIGHT!!!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...inch-combo-amp

G
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Since you mentioned liking both Fender and Marshall I'd like to point out the very sweet Fender BassBreakers. There's reviews a-plenty all over YT. I particularly like the 45 Watt model but the 7 and 15 watters sound decent, too. The newer 30 is a unique beast in it's own right.

Last edited by enorbet2; 2 weeks ago at 02:31 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Might want to check out a Marshall jvm combo, although I’m not sure about the cleans being warm and having a lot of headroom.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

An older Bad Cat Lil 15 might work well for you. Nice solid low end. Footswitchable channels with the clean kind of chimey and the dirty providing lots of tonal variations and lots of good sounding distortion.
Old 2 weeks ago
If price isn't an issue I would be looking at Victory, Shuhr, Two Rock, Mesa, Bad Cat, Dr Z etc. There are a lot of good options if you can afford them.

Last edited by Reverb; 2 weeks ago at 12:15 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlenemo View Post
Hi everyone !

I'm looking to buy a new guitar amplifier and seeking some advice to narrow down my options.

What I'd like to get is a low-wattage tube combo but with two independent footswitchable channels, not to big or heavy if possible (1x12 combo maybe) and a master volume :

- one clean channel but not too sterile or thin sounding, a warm tone with headroom. I had an old silver face fender bandmaster with an old 4x12 marshall with greenbacks that did it great but I sold it because it was too big to take on small gigs...
- one overdriven channel that can be pushed hard for crunchy/fuzzy sounds, I don't need heavy metal sounds. I had a vox AC15HTV combo once and the top boost channel sounded great when pushed, it only lacked some bass for my taste and the absence of master volume was a pain... I don't like to use overdrive pedals I always prefer the sound of the cranked amp for distortion.

Does something like that exist ? No real limit budget-wise...

Thanks !
Egnater Renegade may be a good fit. What ax are you slingin'?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The best cheap, small, 2 channel amp I have used is a Laney VC15. Then again, that's assuming cheap. I still have one although I use my more expensive 20w Marshall 2061x heads with 1x12 cabs if it's my own stuff, or whatever is provided if it's a paid random stuff gig.

That Laney is very cheap (although no longer available), flexible, has a decent clean channel, a tolerable gain channel (though might be better off using pedals through the clean) and is so light you can pick it up with one little finger (less than 15kg, can't remember exactly but my brain wants to say either 11 or 14kg for some reason, from distant memory). I did tons of working gigs of all sizes in all styles, from light to heavier with that, with just an old rectangle style ProCo Rat going through.

Of course it's not boutique, but if you want something small, cheap and flexible it's surprisingly good.

On the other hand, if price is not a factor, then maybe you would want something else, as there are hundreds of options nowadays it seems.

Last edited by konkon; 1 week ago at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Fender Tone Master Deluxe. My only complaint so far is that the reverb has some weird overtone or harmonic frequencies that tend to "take off" or go into oscillation.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I have the Marshall 2525C and it's my favorite sounding Marshall of all time, in about ..say 35 years. It's got 1x12 Greenback too.

It's switchable from 20 to 5 watts.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalsound View Post
I have the Marshall 2525C and it's my favorite sounding Marshall of all time, in about ..say 35 years. It's got 1x12 Greenback too.

It's switchable from 20 to 5 watts.

I've yet to get my hands on one of these but I've played and worked on lots of the original Jubilees and they are very interesting amps. That they are reissued should speak to how popular they were and are. That the reissue includes this 5/20 watt version which BTW retains 2 x EL34s for the output, which I loudly applaud and wonder if they are Class A or close to it as stock (certainly mod-able to do so), is great news. All the demos and reviews I see and hear rave about it.

If this really is a clone of the original preamp then it is only technically "all valve" since it included diode clipping, basically tube driven "fuzz" type distortion, but that's not actually a complaint since it works very well and beats the hell out of getting distortion by screwing up preamp tube bias. Besides my pleasure at seeing the EL34s kept for output, it is also hopefully retaining gain before EQ staging which was particularly cool and very effective in that the EQ was Post FX Return so gain increases also powerfully affects EQ in very sweet ways.

It looks like this amp fills a very wide niche in that it can be used in studio, in bedrooms or apartments as well as live on stage. However at roughly a $1500 USD price point it is going to have to deal with extremely tough competition from the new Mesa Fillmore 25 which, hile having far more features (including all tube full length spring tank reverb and all tube overdrive) which also does mean substantially less KISS (not the band) which does affect the openness of tone. It is a very tough choice at this price point. Both are Pro quality great sounding amps and really I suggest finding a store that carries both for a side-to-side A/B comparison.

I'm pleased to hear someone on GS provide testament to this new/old Marshall's tonal quality. I need to check one out soon!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

This is just gonna be everyone telling their favorites, but I’m a fan of the “small” Mesa combos. Not the lightest or the cheapest but definitely a pro, big sound. 1x12 is what you want, 2x12 still a solid 90 pounds or whatever, at least mine feels like it. Buy used and save a ton.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
This is just gonna be everyone telling their favorites, but I’m a fan of the “small” Mesa combos. Not the lightest or the cheapest but definitely a pro, big sound. 1x12 is what you want, 2x12 still a solid 90 pounds or whatever, at least mine feels like it. Buy used and save a ton.

I do like some Mesas.... But with a 50w, a 30w, and a 40w on order, the one that comes closest to "small combo" is the TA-30 - but it's too heavy at 47 pounds to really qualify. (and the Cali Tweed is one channel....)

The Fillmore 25 combo would be an interesting option for the OP... (I was hoping they'd make a single channel version myself. Even less weight and a bit less to buy.)

-tINY

Old 6 days ago
I'm in a similar position to the OP. The 2 channel amp I've been using is an 80s Mesa studio .22 combo. It does sound great if you know how to dial it in, but there's too much compromise between the two channels. You have to balance the tone between them which is a shame. It's also not really as good as the studio preamp in my opinion, which I was hoping the combo could help replace. Noisy too.

So a low watt (20-25) newer mesa amp with two channels of separate gain, volume, and eq would be where I would start to look for an upgrade to what I currently have. I haven't found a Marshall combo I liked in... ever, and as much as I love the fender sound (princeton, deluxe reverb) they don't have the flexibility or distortion the others do.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

It's also going to depend on the OP's taste in tone. I am and have always been devoted to the "Marshall" sound and would never stray ..because I really don't like anything else. Mesa and Marshall are two completely different amps; especially the Mesa Rectifiers. I've always found "Classic" Mesa to sound too modern with no vintage vibe at all. I remember back in the early '80's they were sort of ahead of their time with a full-blown studio sounding amplifier that sounded very professional and complete. I just think the highs sound lazery and the overall tone is very "after-school special" TV sounding.

If the OP has no deeply specific amp characteristics that he has grown to then price, weight, # of channels, etc., are probably better recommendations than the tone itself.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

OK I'll throw something into the mix here.

Why not get something like a princeton or a boutique version or if you want a more chimey high end a tweed deluxe, where you know you'll have a classic clean tone then get hold of one of the many amazing OD pedals there are nowadays and fine tune that for you OD/crunch etc. All the good OD pedals will clean up on your guitar volume so you can cover most things with one pedal. If you go down the tweed deluxe route you can just turn it up and it will OD nicely, again it will clean up on your guitar volume and or you can use an OD pedal for higher gain too.

just a thought.

here's my (Dumble) tweed deluxe, it's split into head and cab but it will still sound the same in a combo.

guitar straight into amp

https://soundcloud.com/marcus-cliffe...dee-sound-clip

M
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon K View Post
I haven't found a Marshall combo I liked in... ever, and as much as I love the fender sound (princeton, deluxe reverb) they don't have the flexibility or distortion the others do.
While the Mesa Fillmore has all that, if the ~$1500 pricetag is too dear then stop reading here and go to my post above with the demo of the Fender Bassbreaker 30 and FFWD to about 10:30 for the various levels and flexibility of it's overdrive/distortion capabilities. Then, assuming you consider that sufficient (and I will be quite surprised if you don't) , you can drop back to 7:14 for Cleans.

Those timestamps are with high output humbuckers but he does a similar walkthough elsewhere in the video with a stock Strat as well. It sells for roughly $600.00 less than the Mesa or the Marshall. It's worth considering.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search