The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thank god for slipknot.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear
Thank god for slipknot.

Jesus christ these guys just went prog. Im for any album featuring guitars going number 1. I’ve listened to this album for a month i hated it at first. Then it hit me these ****ers are doing prog metal. Solway firth is sick. Just the whole thing is so good and max weinberg jr. is swinging dead cats in a bag.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Nut
Enslaved's album "E" is very much more prog. Try "horrendous" if you want some interesting death/prog.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Nut
Max is a more accomplished and technical player than Jordison. If it wasnt for tied 16th/32nd notes or triplet tom fills people wouldnt be really impressed with Joeys technical abilities. I mean i like Slipknot, music isnt a competition but if comparing drummers- weinberg is more musical where as jordison is more smash your face in.

The songs on this album are just as good, and better , than anything on volume 3 or any album of theirs.

Id also suggest Opeth, King Crimson, Gorguts, and Yob if you want heavy music thats a bit odd or classic prog-Crimson...
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

If we're talking prog metal nothing beats the mighty Devin Townsend
That man can simply do nothing wrong.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Nut
I havent heard the newest Devin im still stuck on Transcendent!
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
I havent heard the newest Devin im still stuck on Transcendent!
Contrary to my previous comment regarding him doing nothing wrong, Trancendance was the only album I never got into of his. Empath on the other hand is still on repeat and gets better after every listen.

I saw him live in Plovdiv doing Ocean Machine and it was almost a religious experience.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Nut
THe songs ive heard off EMPATH make me think devin had even more coffee and ritualistically spun CALIFORNIA by MR. Bungle for 8 months
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
THe songs ive heard off EMPATH make me think devin had even more coffee and ritualistically spun CALIFORNIA by MR. Bungle for 8 months

Well that's the thing, each song is so incredibly different it makes it impossible to guage the album via a few selected tracks. The album needs to be listened in its entirety. That said, the final song "Singularity" does do a good job of that but that's mainly because it's 23 minutes long.

It's the album of the year for me by a long margin.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer81 View Post
Jesus christ these guys just went prog. Im for any album featuring guitars going number 1. I’ve listened to this album for a month i hated it at first. Then it hit me these ****ers are doing prog metal. Solway firth is sick. Just the whole thing is so good and max weinberg jr. is swinging dead cats in a bag.
I got to hear a handful of prerelease tracks around August 2018 and knew it was something special...and I’m not even a metal guy. I gravitate towards the weirder stuff. My Pain is a song I’ve known for a decade, was interested to see it finally come out in this form.

Jay is great, and every album a certain amount of people want another Iowa or Joey or Chris and I for one am glad this band left 1999 in the dust.
Old 13th October 2019
I have consulted god and he denies any connection with this or prog metal in general.

God says that technique is not everything, or even very much.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post

Well that's the thing, each song is so incredibly different it makes it impossible to guage the album via a few selected tracks. The album needs to be listened in its entirety. That said, the final song "Singularity" does do a good job of that but that's mainly because it's 23 minutes long.

It's the album of the year for me by a long margin.
Cool man. Tomorrow is my day off, ill check it out.
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear

I’ll have to check out the new slipknot.
I still listen to their first 3 albums all the time and then kinda don’t listen to much past then.

I like Devin Townsend too!
although I’m truly only a fan of Terria and Addicted.
He’s had some very diverse albums and songs for the genre.
As far as prog metal or any new metal at all these days, I really don’t listen to anything new, except periphery. I’m a huge Periphery fan.
Those guys are crazy.
And Carbomb is fkn nuts too!
I’m kinda super picky about what music I listen to/what’s actually new, sounds cool, and isn’t just fast crazy bs thrown together.
And those two bands really stand out to me in the progish metal category.
Old 13th October 2019
Lives for gear
Thank god my drummer didn't t do crystal meth.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Nut
Drummers and speedy drugs enable grindcore bands. I dont do drugs, except coffee, but too much and my sticks become splinters.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search