The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thank god for slipknot.
Old 12th October 2019
  #1
Lives for gear
Thank god for slipknot.

Jesus christ these guys just went prog. Im for any album featuring guitars going number 1. I’ve listened to this album for a month i hated it at first. Then it hit me these ****ers are doing prog metal. Solway firth is sick. Just the whole thing is so good and max weinberg jr. is swinging dead cats in a bag.
Old 12th October 2019
  #2
Gear Nut
Enslaved's album "E" is very much more prog. Try "horrendous" if you want some interesting death/prog.
Old 12th October 2019
  #3
Gear Nut
Max is a more accomplished and technical player than Jordison. If it wasnt for tied 16th/32nd notes or triplet tom fills people wouldnt be really impressed with Joeys technical abilities. I mean i like Slipknot, music isnt a competition but if comparing drummers- weinberg is more musical where as jordison is more smash your face in.

The songs on this album are just as good, and better , than anything on volume 3 or any album of theirs.

Id also suggest Opeth, King Crimson, Gorguts, and Yob if you want heavy music thats a bit odd or classic prog-Crimson...
Old 12th October 2019
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

If we're talking prog metal nothing beats the mighty Devin Townsend
That man can simply do nothing wrong.
Old 12th October 2019
  #5
Gear Nut
I havent heard the newest Devin im still stuck on Transcendent!
Old 12th October 2019
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
I havent heard the newest Devin im still stuck on Transcendent!
Contrary to my previous comment regarding him doing nothing wrong, Trancendance was the only album I never got into of his. Empath on the other hand is still on repeat and gets better after every listen.

I saw him live in Plovdiv doing Ocean Machine and it was almost a religious experience.
Old 12th October 2019
  #7
Gear Nut
THe songs ive heard off EMPATH make me think devin had even more coffee and ritualistically spun CALIFORNIA by MR. Bungle for 8 months
Old 12th October 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Mushy Mushy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paistemage View Post
THe songs ive heard off EMPATH make me think devin had even more coffee and ritualistically spun CALIFORNIA by MR. Bungle for 8 months


Well that's the thing, each song is so incredibly different it makes it impossible to guage the album via a few selected tracks. The album needs to be listened in its entirety. That said, the final song "Singularity" does do a good job of that but that's mainly because it's 23 minutes long.

It's the album of the year for me by a long margin.
Old 12th October 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer81 View Post
Jesus christ these guys just went prog. Im for any album featuring guitars going number 1. I’ve listened to this album for a month i hated it at first. Then it hit me these ****ers are doing prog metal. Solway firth is sick. Just the whole thing is so good and max weinberg jr. is swinging dead cats in a bag.
I got to hear a handful of prerelease tracks around August 2018 and knew it was something special...and I’m not even a metal guy. I gravitate towards the weirder stuff. My Pain is a song I’ve known for a decade, was interested to see it finally come out in this form.

Jay is great, and every album a certain amount of people want another Iowa or Joey or Chris and I for one am glad this band left 1999 in the dust.
Old 13th October 2019
  #10
I have consulted god and he denies any connection with this or prog metal in general.

God says that technique is not everything, or even very much.
Old 13th October 2019
  #11
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post


Well that's the thing, each song is so incredibly different it makes it impossible to guage the album via a few selected tracks. The album needs to be listened in its entirety. That said, the final song "Singularity" does do a good job of that but that's mainly because it's 23 minutes long.

It's the album of the year for me by a long margin.
Cool man. Tomorrow is my day off, ill check it out.
Old 13th October 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 

I’ll have to check out the new slipknot.
I still listen to their first 3 albums all the time and then kinda don’t listen to much past then.

I like Devin Townsend too!
although I’m truly only a fan of Terria and Addicted.
He’s had some very diverse albums and songs for the genre.
As far as prog metal or any new metal at all these days, I really don’t listen to anything new, except periphery. I’m a huge Periphery fan.
Those guys are crazy.
And Carbomb is fkn nuts too!
I’m kinda super picky about what music I listen to/what’s actually new, sounds cool, and isn’t just fast crazy bs thrown together.
And those two bands really stand out to me in the progish metal category.
Old 13th October 2019
  #13
Lives for gear
Thank god my drummer didn't t do crystal meth.
Old 13th October 2019
  #14
Gear Nut
Drummers and speedy drugs enable grindcore bands. I dont do drugs, except coffee, but too much and my sticks become splinters.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump