The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
80s guitar for recording
Old 2 weeks ago
80s guitar for recording

Looking for somthing about $1000 under to use in studio for hair metal sound. 80s riffs and solos.
I do not care were it's made just it sounds great and for the studio. I did see modeling gutairs like the line 6 is it good? Thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spektor View Post
Looking for somthing about $1000 under to use in studio for hair metal sound. 80s riffs and solos.
I do not care were it's made just it sounds great and for the studio. I did see modeling gutairs like the line 6 is it good? Thanks
Superstrat HSH with hot pickups and a locking trem. Has to have a fluorecent bright colour (pink or yellow) for the best tone.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
It depends on how good your ear is.

If you have a tin ear the Line 6 Variax should be fine, otherwise avoid it like the very plague.

Back in the '80s the typical hair metal guitars were Les Pauls and Strats, take your pick. Ibanez Icemans were also pretty popular, especially with Kiss fans.

Johnny Thunders/New York Dolls fans liked Les Paul Juniors.

DiMarzio pickups (which I really don't care for) were very common.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Charvel.
Old 1 week ago
Yep, I'd go Charvel too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Charvel or Jackson with a jb Duncan in the bridge .
Make sure it's a flourecent color. And put on some eyeliner and rat your hair big you'll be half way!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Ibanez rg550
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Most quality super strat guitars with a hot humbucker in the bridge, and a floyd rose trem should work.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

A Charvel San Dimas.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Any of these!
Attached Thumbnails
80s guitar for recording-vintage-1994-alvarez-dana-scoop-ae650trw-electric-guitar-white-01.jpg   80s guitar for recording-p-gtprodlx-hy1-nav-1920x566.jpg   80s guitar for recording-732500a43c474f8fb0bcc2ee2de4b2d7.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Thanks everybody are there any reissues of Charvel i can get new instead from the 80's Always worried buying used.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I was just kidding with those guitars in the pictures I posted.
The charvel San Dimas pro mod is most likely the charvel you’re looking for. Like pretty much all of the guitars mentioned they have Floyd rose tremolos.
Charvel recently released the dk24 2pt which I personally like. It’s a bit more convenient than a Floyd Rose as far as setup and string changes.
Floyd set ups can (not always) have more sustain but generally also sound a tad more thin, to my ears. But if you’re doing dive bombs you may want that. For me the simplicity and durability of the gotoh 510 bridge on the dk24 2pt is my preference.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks everybody are there any reissues of Charvel i can get new instead from the 80's Always worried buying used.
You should be able to play a few at your local guitar center at least. Sweetwater sells them as well. The non-USA-made "Style 1" is in your budget range and made in Mexico. They also come stock with decent Duncan pickups you will not have to replace.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

and don't forget the ole Kramer Baretta and Pacer
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Any of these!
Wouldn't cut it. On 2 of them the colour is totally wrong
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search