The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fender tube guitar amps.. for BASS
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Terror View Post

Captured the DI and amp using the ISA One.
Mixed to taste. Loving my work.
I want that amp!

Just to add to the anecdotal side of things - the other day a bass player used our house Fender Deluxe Reverb RI as a head for our SWR go-light 4x10 cab (running in parallel, I believe). I took a DI out and mic'd the fender speaker and the blend was pretty awesome. Nice tube grit and great presence on the fender side, plenty of low-end coming out of the bass cab, and I could supplement that with the clean DI signal as needed. Awesome tones and something I hadn't come across before.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaub1 View Post
I've had this amp since 2006. The only issue i've ever had was needing to replace the cheap input jacks. Studio use only though.
You're lucky.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaub1 View Post
I've had this amp since 2006. The only issue i've ever had was needing to replace the cheap input jacks. Studio use only though.
2006 is nothing. It's not a Fender, but my Ampeg B-18 was built in the mid/late '60s and all it's ever needed was replacement of the rectifier tube.

Ditto for a lot of (real, vintage) Fenders I've owned. Most Blues Deluxes/Hot Rod DeVilles I've come in contact with (never actually owned one, I'm not THAT dumb*) won't come even remotely close to that. from my observations, most last somewhere between 4 and (if you're REALLY LUCKY) 8 years before they start crapping out in one way or another.

2006 is really pushing your luck. A stopped clock is actually right twice a day. Studio use only might have something to do with it, although why anyone would want to use one of those as a studio amp is beyond me....
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Not for nothin', but I don't think I hardly ever hear a bass guitar fundamental in a recording. And if it were there, it would come through my stuff.

I don't think that recording people do that.
I do in most of the music I listen to. However these days a lot of people habitually high pass everything. Makes for kinda crappy sound if you ask me but the the "wizz-dumb" of the innernutz says that you have to do it because the HPF is there and if it's there you have to use it, right?

But I don't listen to much modern music.

Another reason for not hearing much or any bass guitar fundamental is that a lot of today's cheap-ass playback devices can't reproduce it. And after all, if you can't hear it on a phone or iPad it must not be there, right?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
I used to use a JCM800 2x12 combo for bass with a coffee shop band. Sounded fantastic. Stock speakers, nice amount of grit, beautiful tone. Not surprising as that amp was essentially a tweed Bassman with 6550's.
Not really. But the time the JCM800 came around the circuit was already mutated pretty far from the original bassman clone of the Bluesbreakers and Plexis.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Counter View Post
Looking at the thread title, just have to add, a while back, Fender did this thing called Bassman……
Yeah. The Bassmans were really popular as lead guitar amps. Back in the day hardly any bassists used Bassmans after Ampeg came along. And then Sunn, even Kustom.

It's one of the reasons Fender dropped the 4x10 Bassman - bass players didn't want it. They brought out the 4x10 Concert and the the Super Reverb due to demand from guitar players. They introduced the piggyback Bassman but it wasn't very popular with bassists. If a bassist wanted a Fender amp they generally bought a Showman.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
It depends on the amp. I had a Vox AC15 and it sounded terrible with my bass. On the other hand my Orange TV200 with a PPC212 sounds great but I tend to record bass DI.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I do in most of the music I listen to. However these days a lot of people habitually high pass everything. Makes for kinda crappy sound if you ask me but the the "wizz-dumb" of the innernutz says that you have to do it because the HPF is there and if it's there you have to use it, right?

But I don't listen to much modern music.

Another reason for not hearing much or any bass guitar fundamental is that a lot of today's cheap-ass playback devices can't reproduce it. And after all, if you can't hear it on a phone or iPad it must not be there, right?
I'm giving that a 8/10 on the curmudgeon scale.

Many would say that mixing for today's listener takes a different approach so it sounds great on phone, Bluetooth speaker, record player and the club's PA.

Do a lot of people habitually low cut everything? Well I suppose anything much below 20 Hz isn't required in most recorded music as you can't hear much below that. Put a cut in at 30 and there's plenty of thump. At 40 and it'll still be deep enough for most rock music but certainly not for orchestral.

Unlike some speakers ears do not age well. Get older and some frequencies can appear more piercing plus modern music is definitely more hi-fi even if recorded onto tape and played via vinyl. Steve Albini being a big proponent of this approach.
I've noticed that 'they're' managing to get a little more width from the low bass on vinyl these days. That Post pop Depression record by Iggy and Homme sounds fantastic.
I play it back on my phone and it still sounds as though the bass is all there. Remarkable in my opinion.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I tried bass zillions of times through guitar amps in the studio and it never sounded good to me.
Guitar amps? or Guitar Amps and Speakers? If we are talking solely about Clean sound (in some cases mildly distorted fits too), the speakers are the single most important element for tone excepting the Bass itself and that only in some cases. There is the match between speakers and amps of course, but still Speakers are like Night and Day and every hour in between..
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Thank you!

Quote:
Many would say that mixing for today's listener takes a different approach so it sounds great on phone, Bluetooth speaker, record player and the club's PA.
"Many" would say a lot of things. Most of them are usually wrong.

If something is mixed and mastered so that it sounds great on vinyl it will sound great on anything. Remember, crappy sounding cheap playback devices are nothing new, regardless of what people who were born after 1980 might "think". Ever heard a pocket transistor radio from the '60s? No bass, no real highs, sound quality comparable to an iPad. And the crystal ear plugs that went with them make modern ear buds sound almost like real speakers. NOBODY back then was so stupid as to "mix for transistor radio."

Quote:
Do a lot of people habitually low cut everything? Well I suppose anything much below 20 Hz isn't required in most recorded music as you can't hear much below that. Put a cut in at 30 and there's plenty of thump. At 40 and it'll still be deep enough for most rock music but certainly not for orchestral.
Not really. Many, if not most people these days are pretty uneducated about what a HPF actually does.

You see, when you HPF at, say, 30Hz you're not just cutting below 30 Hz. The stated frequency on such filters is the 3dB down point - depending on the severity of the slope cutting might start as much as two octaves above the stated point, which means that with a 30 Hz HPF you might actually start cutting around low E on the rhythm guitar, which is enough to make it sound a bit thin. If you make the slope steeper it lessens the frequency problem at the expense of scrambling your phase response on the low end, which can make things sound "funny" in ways that are difficult to pin down. If you use a linear phase digital filter you don't get the phase shift but it induces other problems.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote:

Unlike some speakers ears do not age well. Get older and some frequencies can appear more piercing plus modern music is definitely more hi-fi even if recorded onto tape and played via vinyl. Steve Albini being a big proponent of this approach.
I'm not a huge Albini fan - some of his production ideas are a bit wack -, but I too track to tape (Studer a-800 MKIII 24 track).

I disagree about modern music being more "hi-fi", regardless of what digerati might claim. It's just that digital induces a different set of problems. From what I've been able to deduce, digital recording has an effect somewhat like an audio equivalent of running a photo through that Photoshop plug-in that sharpens edges. That creates an illusion of greater detail, but it's really just a different form of distortion. (I can go into greater detail if anyone's interested, but otherwise will not for the sake of brevity.)

Quote:
I've noticed that 'they're' managing to get a little more width from the low bass on vinyl these days. That Post pop Depression record by Iggy and Homme sounds fantastic.
I play it back on my phone and it still sounds as though the bass is all there. Remarkable in my opinion.
There has been progress in mastering technology. It's not entirely digital, either. Achieving good low end in vinyl is a subject deserving its own thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow, last Christmas the guy says one nice thing to someone. And bam, just like that, Michelin docks him two whole stars.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Wow, last Christmas the guy says one nice thing to someone. And bam, just like that, Michelin docks him two whole stars.
<chuckle>

Michelin is only a 5 star scale. 3 is considered very good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
<chuckle>

Michelin is only a 5 star scale.
<ditto> That is correct.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search