The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone else own a EVH5150iii combo?
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone else own a EVH5150iii combo?

Hey all, first time in these parts of the site. I recently picked up a EVH 212 combo version of the 5150iii.

I absolutely love it, but I noticed it literally can't be played past half volume without a it sounding like it is coming from a tin can, inside someone's sinus cavity. It is nasally! No eq seems to change it.

I am struggling to figure out if the "pinch" is related to the speakers being only rated at 60 TOTAL watts (30 each) and they are distorting, or if it is in fact the power section.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 8th October 2019
Do you have access to an external cab you can try it with?
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Could depend on the gain you’re going with here.
I’m not sure since you haven’t mentioned it and I haven’t turned one up towards but I do know that with evh and 5150’s, once you get the gain past about 5 they kind of become becomes a fizz can factories and a lot of guys get that wrong and think the amps are bad. Generally you want to keep the gain around like 3-4 for maybe up to 5 or 6 for lead/single not riff stuff.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
Could depend on the gain you’re going with here.
I’m not sure since you haven’t mentioned it and I haven’t turned one up towards but I do know that with evh and 5150’s, once you get the gain past about 5 they kind of become becomes a fizz can factories and a lot of guys get that wrong and think the amps are bad. Generally you want to keep the gain around like 3-4 for maybe up to 5 or 6 for lead/single not riff stuff.
Yep, my gain is always on 4 on the red channel, maybe 5 on the blue and green channels.

I swapped the speakers for some V30's and the amp is pushing a lot more air now.

Still gets "hairy" sounding past half volume, but much more tolerable now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search