The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best acoustic pick up for large jumbo 7 string guitar
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Addict
Best acoustic pick up for large jumbo 7 string guitar

I'm having 7 string jumbo guitar built and needed advice what pick-up to get put in for live playing. I'm looking for the best natural tone to feedback ratio. Nice tone and low feedback. Would prefer passive due not having to have a tone killing battery inside the guitar but very open to active too.
Speced as follows

7-string cutaway Jumbo, 17 frets to the body most likely tuned C2 E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4.
All-American woods
Osage Orange back and sides
Sitka Spruce top and bracing
Black Walnut binding
Mesquite bridge, fingerboard, headstock veneer, sound hole cover and neck strap pin
Cherry neck, tail and neck block
Maple bridge plate
Body Dimensions (approximate)
18 “ lower bout
10 ¼” waist
12 ½” upper bout
5 ¼ “ depth at the Tail, to 3 ¾ “ at the neck
44 1/8 ” overall length
Fingerboard
Fanned frets, 25 ½ “ scale 1st string, 27 “ 7th string, perpendicular at the 6th
Side dots only 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 (2), 15, 17, 19
22 frets total
Stainless Steel frets
2 1/8 width at nut
Dual action truss rod
Bolt-on neck
Offset sound hole
Gotoh 510 tuners
Bone nut and saddle
String spacing 0.45 at saddle, 2 5/8 saddle
Nitro finish
Sound hole feedback cover
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I'm having 7 string jumbo guitar built and needed advice what pick-up to get put in for live playing. I'm looking for the best natural tone to feedback ratio. Nice tone and low feedback. Would prefer passive due not having to have a tone killing battery inside the guitar but very open to active too.
Speced as follows

7-string cutaway Jumbo, 17 frets to the body most likely tuned C2 E2 A2 D3 G3 B3 E4.
All-American woods
Osage Orange back and sides
Sitka Spruce top and bracing
Black Walnut binding
Mesquite bridge, fingerboard, headstock veneer, sound hole cover and neck strap pin
Cherry neck, tail and neck block
Maple bridge plate
Body Dimensions (approximate)
18 “ lower bout
10 ¼” waist
12 ½” upper bout
5 ¼ “ depth at the Tail, to 3 ¾ “ at the neck
44 1/8 ” overall length
Fingerboard
Fanned frets, 25 ½ “ scale 1st string, 27 “ 7th string, perpendicular at the 6th
Side dots only 3, 5, 7, 9, 12 (2), 15, 17, 19
22 frets total
Stainless Steel frets
2 1/8 width at nut
Dual action truss rod
Bolt-on neck
Offset sound hole
Gotoh 510 tuners
Bone nut and saddle
String spacing 0.45 at saddle, 2 5/8 saddle
Nitro finish
Sound hole feedback cover
There's an online forum about acoustic guitars that I'd have to violate GS terms of service to mention by name. Those guys are all over this stuff. If I had to guess what they'd recommend that checks all your boxes, it would probably be a K&K Mini and a ToneDexter. Not sure I'm a fan of the ToneDexter myself, but do your own investigating.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There's an online forum about acoustic guitars that I'd have to violate GS terms of service to mention by name. Those guys are all over this stuff. If I had to guess what they'd recommend that checks all your boxes, it would probably be a K&K Mini and a ToneDexter. Not sure I'm a fan of the ToneDexter myself, but do your own investigating.
I am a charter member of said forum and posting this there too. But you guys here are the real gear slutz and gear nymphomaniacs and a pick-up is most certainly gear. So I thought I'd ask here too.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmanmatty View Post
I am a charter member of said forum and posting this there too. But you guys here are the real gear slutz and gear nymphomaniacs and a pick-up is most certainly gear. So I thought I'd ask here too.
Thought I recognized the handle. :-)

So you've probably been following the whole slew of ToneDexter threads and seen me in my FOH-mixer hat whining about how nobody seems to know how to work them, at least in a live setting.

But I think you'll get a different take here because folks aren't quite as "purist." Nor am I, obviously.
Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Look into LR Baggs. I've got two different types on my six string and old Yammy 12 string. To me they sound the best and their preamps kill.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search