The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is this tap "muting" accessory Jack White has on his guitar in this video?
Old 2nd October 2019
What is this tap "muting" accessory Jack White has on his guitar in this video?

I came across this video up on YouTube of the Raconteurs performing 2 of their new songs in the studio for Amazon Music, and in the middle of the first song, it looks like he's tapping on this black circle looking accessory that seems to trigger his guitar to temporarily mute or have a tremolo effect only when it's tapped?

The effect is used starting around 1:28 into the video, and pretty consistently throughout. Forgive my ignorance if this is a pretty commonly used piece of gear or something, but I can't say I've ever seen or heard of anything like it before.

Thanks guys!
Old 2nd October 2019
Nevermind. Got it figured out, it's a killswitch that Jack seems to have modded himself by having just a little button or something.
Old 2nd October 2019
Gear Addict
I suspect it's nothing more than a double pole momentary push switch that breaks the feed to the guitar's output jack (with perhaps a resister across it to reduce popping) something like this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-...tches/8673980/
Old 2nd October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
I suspect it's nothing more than a double pole momentary push switch that breaks the feed to the guitar's output jack (with perhaps a resister across it to reduce popping) something like this: https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-...tches/8673980/
No, if you break the feed you'll get noise. A kill switch simply shorts across the output jack.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
No, if you break the feed you'll get noise. A kill switch simply shorts across the output jack.
Cool, even simpler, push on switches are easier to find!
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Whatever it is, it's pretty freakin' cool.

Nice post.
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrneOut Productions View Post
I came across this video up on YouTube of the Raconteurs performing 2 of their new songs in the studio for Amazon Music, and in the middle of the first song, it looks like he's tapping on this black circle looking accessory that seems to trigger his guitar to temporarily mute or have a tremolo effect only when it's tapped?

The effect is used starting around 1:28 into the video, and pretty consistently throughout. Forgive my ignorance if this is a pretty commonly used piece of gear or something, but I can't say I've ever seen or heard of anything like it before.

Thanks guys!
Have a look at the tele part in that vid. There is one in th control panel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf13ZbdC17M
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Probably a momentary push switch that flips to the other pickup with volume set at zero. Guitarists do this all the time by flipping the toggle switch, but this is much quicker.
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Probably a momentary push switch that flips to the other pickup with volume set at zero. Guitarists do this all the time by flipping the toggle switch, but this is much quicker.
Maybe just a spring loaded button momentarily killing the output?
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Lotta maybes.

Hmmm.

Maybe its a dinosaur immobilizer.

Or:

Maybe we should just ask Jack.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Its definitely not something that helps tune his guitar.

Or if it is, it doesn't work for sh*t.
Old 4th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByrneOut Productions View Post

Thanks guys!
Just a minor point, but in the interests of accuracy the second song is a cover version, rather than a new Raconteurs number.
Old 5th October 2019
Gear Addict

Jack simply just copied Buckethead, who has been using a kill button on his Les Paul baritone guitars for years.
Old 6th October 2019
Quote:
A momentary shorting switch is much easier, cheaper, and more reliable. I've used both push buttons and toggles for this. A non-momentary toggle has the advantage of being able to be used as a standby.
Old 6th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
A momentary shorting switch is much easier, cheaper, and more reliable. I've used both push buttons and toggles for this. A non-momentary toggle has the advantage of being able to be used as a standby.
I'm not an electronics guy, but assumed that a simple shorting switch might cause a snapping sound on the break. Maybe not
Old 6th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm not an electronics guy, but assumed that a simple shorting switch might cause a snapping sound on the break. Maybe not
You might think. But those "silent" TS plugs for instrument cables have a little spring-thingy in them that deliberately creates a short when you unplug from the instrument. And what you get when you unplug, as advertised, is silence.
Old 6th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
Jack simply just copied Buckethead, who has been using a kill button on his Les Paul baritone guitars for years.
Uh, yeah , right. And Buckethead copied the Strat I modded for Duck McDonald in 1980. Or maybe it was the board guitar I gave to a department manager at Guitar Center SF around '84 or '85. Both years before Buckethead.

Or maybe it's just such a simple and obvious mod that several different people actually thought of it independently.
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

Not totally sure exactly what you guys are talking about, so I couldn’t swear to it, but I’m pretty sure I invented that, too. I Believe it was back in England about the same time as when I invented American music and other important stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search