The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cabling of FX for best signal quality (stomp box effects vs. cable length)
Old 2nd October 2019
Here for the gear

Cabling of FX for best signal quality (stomp box effects vs. cable length)

Hi,

my understanding is that, if I use a multi-effect like the G-system in front of me reverbs are send to the amps effect loop using two (rather long cables live on stage) cables. This must compromise the sound quality, right ?

I want to you use an amp with an FX unit for reverbs/delays and may 1/2 stomb boxes in front me and switch sounds including the amp instantly. Basically I am thinking to either buy a used G-force or one of these fancy FX stomp boxes like the G-system. But isn't this a stupid setup in terms of sound quality ? Shouldn't the fx unit that processes the reverb be placed next to the effect loop of the amp to keep cables short ? Also to minimize cables on stage.

I want to minimize any delay due to switching too, I used to have a TC midi controller but there was a noticable delay of maybe 300ms. Haven't been into live gigging for a while and have no idea about todays technique. I want to use an amp or combo (no pre-amp/power amp combination because this combo has less punch imho), just need like 5 different sounds live and don't really want to have a giant fx pedal live in front me. But basically its about sound quality. I use monster rock cables and the difference to standard cables and also between different length of the same cable type is astounding.

Heiko
Old 2nd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr metal View Post
Hi,

my understanding is that, if I use a multi-effect like the G-system in front of me reverbs are send to the amps effect loop using two (rather long cables live on stage) cables. This must compromise the sound quality, right ?

I want to you use an amp with an FX unit for reverbs/delays and may 1/2 stomb boxes in front me and switch sounds including the amp instantly. Basically I am thinking to either buy a used G-force or one of these fancy FX stomp boxes like the G-system. But isn't this a stupid setup in terms of sound quality ? Shouldn't the fx unit that processes the reverb be placed next to the effect loop of the amp to keep cables short ? Also to minimize cables on stage.

I want to minimize any delay due to switching too, I used to have a TC midi controller but there was a noticable delay of maybe 300ms. Haven't been into live gigging for a while and have no idea about todays technique. I want to use an amp or combo (no pre-amp/power amp combination because this combo has less punch imho), just need like 5 different sounds live and don't really want to have a giant fx pedal live in front me. But basically its about sound quality. I use monster rock cables and the difference to standard cables and also between different length of the same cable type is astounding.

Heiko
Where does one start...?

First, Monster cables are probably okay, although they're hideously overpriced and over-hyped. Any decent low-capacitance high shield coverage cable, and a couple of Switchcraft plugs are fine. Length does matter; anything over 20 feet starts losing frequency response. But if you're playing through guitar speakers, it probably won't matter much.

It sounds like you already have your mind made up, and have listened a little too closely to the salesmen. If you only use about 5 different sounds, you don't need MIDI or any of that.
Old 2nd October 2019
Here for the gear

It's about the cables that send the signal of an FX unit in front of you (like G system) to the effect loop of the amp and return, that can easily be 10-20m on stage. Wouldn't it be better to have the processor near the effect loop and just switch it from a controller near you ? Wouldn't it be better if the FX unit would actually consist of 2 units, one that processes (for reverb, delay) near the amps effect loop and one that does the pre-preamp effects+switching near you on stage ?
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr metal View Post
Hi,

Heiko
This guy did something similar, although for a different reason. Maybe it will help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV0b3Denorc
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

I use a Radial EFX looper to
1. Switch a whole groupe of pedals with one click
2. When all my pedals are off, since some of them are not "true bypass" it allowa me to avoid the usual tone sucking which happens you daisy chain a bunch of pedals.

Not sure I answered your question but it also allows to use short cables in your loops.
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

I have my amp and delay-based FX in one rack, switched by MIDI. But I've NEVER been 30-60 feet (10-20meters) from my rack!
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear

I just thought that one of these modern FX ground units would make my life easier (like practicing using headphones, included cab simulations for recording). I basically questioned the concept of these because of the extra cables lengths and possible sound degradation (I think this is called the "4-cables-method"), and practical things like more cables on stage and having to carry around these long cables.

In comparison: Rack: 1. guitar -> amp + 2. midi -> effect near amp [1 long audio cable] vs. 1. FX ground unit -> amp effect loop + 2. amp effects return + 3. FX unit/guitar -> amp [3 long audio cables]

A very small effect processor like eventide H9 in the effect loop near the amp switched by a small midi control board that loops maybe 1 extra OD pedal for solo boost and a volume pedal sounds best to me now.

Thank you for helping
Old 7th October 2019
Lives for gear

This may be a bit overkill for what you are wanting to do - but a Boss ES5 with midi to your effects loop processor would eliminate the signal cable length, allow local patching of effects, give you access to five easy to recall presets, allow for local expression control input for your remoted midi effect device of choice, and give you control outputs for amp channel switching and/or other amp contact controlled parameters.
Old 7th October 2019
I use those 5 buck pedal interconnect shorties from Guitar Center. The longer cables are Mogami. No losses ever. All the guitars are active with a low output impedance. I don't even think about that stuff anymore. It all sounds the same whether 10 or no pedals, 10 feet or 100 feet of guitar cable, volume on "2" or "10".

I love the consistency.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search