The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
“best” all-around acoustic guitar under $600
Old 5 days ago
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Well, I can't seem to find the "zoom in" control in Firefox's picture viewer, and I don't have Photoshop on this machine (and the one that does has no internet access and doesn't work very well anyway) so I have to just go with the screen resolution, unless you can suggest some display trick I'm not aware of?

However, since you say you can zoom in to that level of detail, are you able to read the brand name on the headstock? I'm asking because I've seen very, very few acoustic flat-tops with zero frets and nearly all of them were Asian made el cheapos from the '60s and early '70s, not the sort of guitars Townshend would be likely to use onstage.

EDIT: I downloaded it and looked at it in Windows Picture Viewer. That does zoom in, but the resolution is still not good enough to differentiate between a zero fret and a split level nut. I can see how you could come to that conclusion but I don't think it's at all definitive. And I still can't read the headstock logo.
CTRL - Mousewheel will cure what ails ya'. On second thought, maybe not.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/fylde.html

And if you go to the website you can see some nice high res pics clearly showing the zero fret: https://www.fyldeguitars.com/ariel.html

Cheers,
Brock
Old 5 days ago
  #62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
CTRL - Mousewheel will cure what ails ya'. On second thought, maybe not.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/guitar/fylde.html

And if you go to the website you can see some nice high res pics clearly showing the zero fret: https://www.fyldeguitars.com/ariel.html

Cheers,
Brock
AH! <ctrl> mousewheel! I didn't know that, thanks! Thanks also for the info on who made the guitar - I've never encountered a Flyde - that's very interesting. Thanks again!

And you're correct, it's a zero fret.
Old 5 days ago
  #63
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
AH! <ctrl> mousewheel! I didn't know that, thanks! Thanks also for the info on who made the guitar - I've never encountered a Flyde - that's very interesting. Thanks again!

And you're correct, it's a zero fret.
No problem, Hombre!

First Flyde for me too.
Old 5 days ago
  #64
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
The pickups in those are pretty horrible. And in that price range they're all plywood tops.....
The solid ones are usually $100-$200 more and worth the difference. (Example: FG260 or FG260S)
Ugh, dreadnought and who cares whether it sounds better in 20 years? The pickups work fine hooked up to a decent PA.Guitar stays in tune and the right one is so much fun to play that I keep trying to steal my son's. I play a $2500 Martin Aura. It sounds beautiful, plays fantastically, a nd I do care whether it sounds better in 20 years. But < $600, nah, just give me something that feels good.
Old 3 days ago
  #65
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgulian View Post
Ugh, dreadnought and who cares whether it sounds better in 20 years? The pickups work fine hooked up to a decent PA.Guitar stays in tune and the right one is so much fun to play that I keep trying to steal my son's. I play a $2500 Martin Aura. It sounds beautiful, plays fantastically, a nd I do care whether it sounds better in 20 years. But < $600, nah, just give me something that feels good.
Actually, no, those cheap piezos do NOT work fine hooked (straight) up to a decent PA. The line input on a PA is usually around 10k-20k. Most normal active DIs have an input impedance of around 1 meg, which is a little better, (passive DIs are lower)BUT a typical piezoi will quack unless it sees a load of around 5 megs or better.

Maybe you don't mind quacky piezos but I do and so do most people I know.

Using a DI specially designed for piezos helps, but that will add another couple hundred bucks to the cost of his rig.

And a lot of piezos that come with one of those preamps built into the side of the guitar will quack anyway, because the cheap-ass preamp doesn't have a high enough input impedance to keep the pickup from quacking and the piezo DI won't help those because the preamp buffers the pickup for the load of the DI.

And I always care if a guitar sounds better in 20 years.

As far as staying in tune goes, why would anybody purchase a guitar that won't stay in tune?
Old 2 days ago
  #66
Here for the gear
 

I bought an acoustic/electric Takamine G series(EG340SC model) a few years back and have absolutely loved it. I bought it new at Guitar Center at the time for $450 if I remember correctly. I think it sounds great especially for the price.

Here's a short video demo. He starts playing at around the 1:50 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXkn849DMY
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump