The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Leslie 18/Vibratone no crossover or switch
Old 24th September 2019
Gear Head

Leslie 18/Vibratone no crossover or switch

Wondering if any of you have experience with a Leslie 18/16/Vibratone & using it without the crossover & footswitch. Picked up and 18 yesterday and it’s ok great shape, works well, but none of the aforementioned goodies. It will turn on, I can get it to rotate & pass audio.

My questions are more around repurposing it to be a stand-alone Leslie for my studio.

In the power box there is a relay/switch in there that if I trigger it I can get the motor going. However, it’s not currently spinning without me shorting the switch inside.
  1. Can I bypass this switch and hardwire it “on”?

Also, it looks to have been modified with a speed dial put on the back. This appears to be wired in where the switch would normally be wired in. Can I eliminate this and simply put in a 1/4” jack that I can use a footswitch for?

Thanks for any insight!!
Old 24th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde67 View Post
Wondering if any of you have experience with a Leslie 18/16/Vibratone & using it without the crossover & footswitch. Picked up and 18 yesterday and it’s ok great shape, works well, but none of the aforementioned goodies. It will turn on, I can get it to rotate & pass audio.

My questions are more around repurposing it to be a stand-alone Leslie for my studio.

In the power box there is a relay/switch in there that if I trigger it I can get the motor going. However, it’s not currently spinning without me shorting the switch inside.
  1. Can I bypass this switch and hardwire it “on”?

Also, it looks to have been modified with a speed dial put on the back. This appears to be wired in where the switch would normally be wired in. Can I eliminate this and simply put in a 1/4” jack that I can use a footswitch for?

Thanks for any insight!!
If you google "Leslie Model 16" (or "Fender Vibratone") you'll find all the technical info you need, including schematics and wiring diagrams.
Old 25th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
If you google "Leslie Model 16" (or "Fender Vibratone") you'll find all the technical info you need, including schematics and wiring diagrams.
Much appreciated John. While I did search google over the past two days for Leslie 16, 18, & vibratone, I have yet to come across the type of detail I’m looking for in order to simplify the existing circuit, which needs the footswitch to safely operate. I was hoping someone who has gone through this before would be able to speak from their experience & share any pitfalls etc.

There are things I still don’t understand after reading the technical documents such as - why the motor was spinning yesterday by itself, but today is not spinning unless I manually engage the relay. Is that normal behavior for the relay? How can I bypass the need for the original footswitch and convert it to operate on a standard footswitch?
Old 27th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde67 View Post
Much appreciated John. While I did search google over the past two days for Leslie 16, 18, & vibratone, I have yet to come across the type of detail I’m looking for in order to simplify the existing circuit, which needs the footswitch to safely operate. I was hoping someone who has gone through this before would be able to speak from their experience & share any pitfalls etc.

There are things I still don’t understand after reading the technical documents such as - why the motor was spinning yesterday by itself, but today is not spinning unless I manually engage the relay. Is that normal behavior for the relay? How can I bypass the need for the original footswitch and convert it to operate on a standard footswitch?
You could run the signal through a standard type footswitch but you should never run AC through one - it's dangerous. That's why the relay is there. You can also run it without the crossover.

If the motor was spinning yesterday "by itself" but today requires engaging the relay, assuming no alterations to the circuit, that would indicate to me that your relay is probably sticking intermittently.

You can run the unit with the relay bypassed, but then you can't switch the motor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search