The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
EBS Octabass Pedal - Authentic or Fake ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

EBS Octabass Pedal - Authentic or Fake ?

Anyone else own this pedal ? I was wondering if yours also said "Made in China" on the side ? If your positive yours is real, could you please check yours against the pictures I attached and let me know if ours match.

Since when does ever so trusted, quality SWISS MADE products use China ? I thought that was just America's lazy, cheap, communist idea.

I just find the text on the side very odd. Very non-Swiss like.

I attached some pics of the one I just received that has me in question, let me know what you think.

Thanks guys !
Attached Thumbnails
EBS Octabass Pedal - Authentic or Fake ?-1.jpg   EBS Octabass Pedal - Authentic or Fake ?-2.jpg   EBS Octabass Pedal - Authentic or Fake ?-3.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Well, everybody does. Why not Europeans.

BTW EBS is Swedish, not Swiss.

I doubt it is a Chinese made copy. All photographs of that pedal showing the side have "Made in China" on it.
Furthermore, they would not write that on the side of an illegal copy if the original would have "Made in Sweden" on it.

That aside... How is the pedal?

Last edited by BasHermus; 3 weeks ago at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Glob
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasHermus View Post
Well, everybody does. Why not Europeans.

BTW EBS is Swedish, not Swiss.

I doubt it is a Chinese made copy. All photographs of that pedal showing the side have "Made in China" on it.
Furthermore, they would not write that on the side of an illegal copy if the original would have "Made in Sweden" on it.

That aside... How is the pedal?
lol - Well I just thought Europeans (from my impression) had a "don't cut corners" to their build ethics. Price is of no concern, just make it the best as possible. I know Germans are like that. Or at least used to be.

DAMN !! haha, my bad, I thought Sweden was Swiss.. brain fart on my end, your right its Switzerland that is Swiss (another Germany level anal retentiveness culture to quality that I appreciate). Swiss made products are awesome !

I guess I never owned a Sweed made product. This is the first.

Yea I see your point to the Made In China vs Made in Sweden thing, but my concern was maybe its one of those loophole legal knockoffs. Being legal if they mention its the China made version. ???

Anyway, still would be satisfied if someone who bought one direct could chime in here. I also just might contact the company. I bought mine from Full Compass for a amazingly low price. SO I am worried now. lol It smells fresh new, so its new.

I haven't messed with it yet, waiting for the next song that needs live bass before I'll be able to test it. (live instrument gear is in the gear room, and I put them away until needed, and I'm 3 songs deep mixing stages now, no time for playing/recording yet till I'm done with these 3 songs)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

if you're into pitch shifting, get an eventide! i admit they are way more expensive though...
greez from switzerland :-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
if you're into pitch shifting, get an eventide! i admit they are way more expensive though...
greez from switzerland :-)
For sure ! I love the Eventide.

But what I was missing is a more *analog* sounding way to do the simple 1 note at a time lower octave thing with a bass guitar.

Eventide hardware, and some of the pedals that do this are great for this, yes. And they even "track" the notes/keys better. BUT they kinda lack that old school sound and I heard the Aguilar and EBS got that analog sounding approach to their tracking for this feature.

So I got them both. Ultimately its for when you want to play some bass riff but the register you want to play it in causes for sloppier play and kinda rattling strings. Playing it a octave higher makes it sound way cleaner, then just use this to make it the lower octave again. Now you got the register you want with much impossibly otherwise cleaner sounding play and strings, etc.. Its a old trick.

The digital pieces just don't sound the same doing it. BUT the digital pieces do recognize chords and do it.. and thats awesome.

Anyway -- lol enough of that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

there's still the boss octaver (i guess) or a whammy pedal can be mis-used as an octaver...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You'd need to be seriously deranged to take the time to make a fake pedal. IMO. Yeah it is legit
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
You'd need to be seriously deranged to take the time to make a fake pedal. IMO. Yeah it is legit
Haha ! Best post of the thread ! And I of course have always been leaning towards that assumption. But some verification will be nice. I haven't heard back from EBS yet. But when I do, hopefully they take it as a slight hint and maybe as a design change just simply take that "made in china" off there.

Put it in microscopic letters on the underneath. LOL
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It looks like you have a new one. From my very brief googling, it appears the 1st edition (1992) was made in Sweden. It would appear they are not anymore.

I have a hard time believing someone would trouble to counterfeit this and then sell it on Full Compass. Last I checked, full compass was a legit retailer dealing with manufacturers and distributors directly, not some crapshoot “anyone goes” marketplace like Amazon.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasHermus View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I want to thank you all for chiming in and helping. Looks like you guys are right - I got a answer direct from EBS.

"Dear Joel,
Correct, the assembly is made in China today, built after strict specifications, so there no change in quality where it is built.
We also let all units pass through our final quality control here, before applying serial number and shipping out to our distributors worldwide.
Best Regards

--------------------
Mats Kristoffersson
Technical Director
EBS Sweden AB
"

Furthermore he gave me their main Distributor here in US Adam Hall contact, and Adam Hall's website lists Full Compass as a authorized dealer. https://www.adamhall.com/us-en/company/dealer-search/

So for sure, this is a authentic one. And as funny as this thread seems, maybe one day it will help someone else wondering the same thing.
Thanks again guys !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Makes sense, if you take the time to make a fake bottle of wine you make a fake Chateau Petrus 1964, but you don't spend time and money making a copy of a $20 bottle of wine - as great as it may be.- In the world of guitar effects, I do not think there are many effects reaching a value worth of counterfeiting. You don't have to worry much about this issue.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Makes sense, if you take the time to make a fake bottle of wine you make a fake Chateau Petrus 1964, but you don't spend time and money making a copy of a $20 bottle of wine - as great as it may be.- In the world of guitar effects, I do not think there are many effects reaching a value worth of counterfeiting. You don't have to worry much about this issue.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Very true. I agree, and figured from the beginning. But I aint putting nothing past the possibility. (especially now a days - lol)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search