The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fishman fluence for jazz tone (7string7
Old 21st September 2019
Here for the gear

Fishman fluence for jazz tone (7string7

Hi everyone, I own a 25.5 inch scale 7 string solid body electric guitar. It’s equipped with Bartolini humbucker pickups that are extremely clear and full range. The problem is I didn’t realize that for anything other than solo guitar that’s not a good thing. They lack that midrange “push” that typical Humbuckers do. I like the sound I can get from a les Paul style guitar for that reason, and I need guitars that can function both in jazz (clean warm setting) and fusion or rock.

My question is, between the Fishman Abasi signatures, the Fishman open core classics, and any other suggestions that could compete with the versatility or blow them out of the water soundwise, what would be some recommendations?
Old 22nd September 2019
For jazz tone on a 7-string you need to save your pennies and invest in a Gibson George Van Eps model.

Good luck.

Otherwise, go to a custom luthier or give up.

All the current solid body 7 strings are designed for metal, not jazz.
Old 22nd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by medfly View Post
Hi everyone, I own a 25.5 inch scale 7 string solid body electric guitar. It’s equipped with Bartolini humbucker pickups that are extremely clear and full range. The problem is I didn’t realize that for anything other than solo guitar that’s not a good thing. They lack that midrange “push” that typical Humbuckers do. I like the sound I can get from a les Paul style guitar for that reason, and I need guitars that can function both in jazz (clean warm setting) and fusion or rock.

My question is, between the Fishman Abasi signatures, the Fishman open core classics, and any other suggestions that could compete with the versatility or blow them out of the water soundwise, what would be some recommendations?
What type of jazz tone are you seeking... For that modern Prog jazz tone (making assumption as you mentioned the abasi signature), the Fishman are great... I myself really like Bartolini's also.. I ask however, because all these tones are not the classic jazz tone however... I personally prefer these modern tones, and it seems what you are looking for also anyway. Have you tried making changes at the amp EQ level.
Old 22nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
What type of jazz tone are you seeking... For that modern Prog jazz tone (making assumption as you mentioned the abasi signature), the Fishman are great... I myself really like Bartolini's also.. I ask however, because all these tones are not the classic jazz tone however... I personally prefer these modern tones, and it seems what you are looking for also anyway. Have you tried making changes at the amp EQ level.
I don’t need a straight up PAF hollow body sound. Just something that when clean can be a warm fat sound without the shrill fret noise that the Bart’s give me. The prog tone is not as crucial as I feel I can get a decent OD sound out of any pickup. Mainly, I’m after a clean sound that can provide a nice clean sound, not necessarily a classic tone but a pleasant sound. Thanks for replying
Old 29th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by medfly View Post
I don’t need a straight up PAF hollow body sound. Just something that when clean can be a warm fat sound without the shrill fret noise that the Bart’s give me. The prog tone is not as crucial as I feel I can get a decent OD sound out of any pickup. Mainly, I’m after a clean sound that can provide a nice clean sound, not necessarily a classic tone but a pleasant sound. Thanks for replying
It's probably going to be pretty difficult to find 7 string pickups that aren't voiced for metal. You might contact Lindy Fralin and see if he can do a custom wind to your specs.

Lollar offers a 7-string pickup on their website that might fit your needs.They generally run a bit more than Fralins.
Old 29th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
It's probably going to be pretty difficult to find 7 string pickups that aren't voiced for metal. You might contact Lindy Fralin and see if he can do a custom wind to your specs.

Lollar offers a 7-string pickup on their website that might fit your needs.They generally run a bit more than Fralins.
The barts are jazz pups though... but yeah thats not a bad idea. It sounds like he is looking for low mids of rock

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search