The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Traynor YCV50 blue - any opinion?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Traynor YCV50 blue - any opinion?

Hi,

I use mostly a 2001 american deluxe Strat with noiseless PU, HSS. My current amp is a Hot Rod deluxe George Benson.

I would like to complement my amp with something different, a different flavour. These days I play a lot of jazz standards on the strat using mostly the neck pick-up. My favourite setting for the jazz standards is either clean or light distorsion with tiny amount of reverb, I roll back treble and bass (not completely...), add some mid and roll back the treble on the guitar. Some time I also use my boss compressor.

With this setting I manage the treble but loose some clarity, especially if with some distorsion is added. I have the impression that a darker sounding amp might be better for me. Also I am not in super heavy distorsion but enjoy from time to time old Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, or Black Sabbath.

I am looking at buying a used Traynor YCV50, the blue one, similar to that new edition:

https://traynoramps.com/product/ycvv50b/

Any experience or tought on this amp?

Thank,

Dan
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not sure if you'll get that much of a difference in tone. I don't know about the newer Traynor amps, but the older ones were pretty much Fender Knockoff's with slightly different EQ stacks. For varied tones I like using amps that are quite different in tone. One of my favorites I've used for years is a Fender and Marshall amp together. The Fender produces scooped mids and the Marshall produces boosted Mids. I'll typically stack the Marshall on top of the Fender, then dial up lower mics and bass on the fender amp and upper mids and highs on the Marshall. It produces a wide frequency response and if you use a stereo chorus and echo/reverb you can get a nice 3D sound from the two.

I've used other amps for similar results. My old Ampeg is a wonderful amp to match with The Fender or Marshall. My Peavey is s bright amp that mixes well with darker amps. Some amps don't do much besides add more volume given the fact their frequency responses are so similar. My Music Man amp is very similar to my Fender. My Sound City like-wise is very similar to my Marshall. My 70's Sunn is similar in tone depending on what speakers are used as well.

The other thing to consider is, hauling two amps is twice the work of hauling one. If you're young that's not usually a problem when you have the energy. As you get older you begin to question whether the audience appreciates the extra work and whether it actually doesn't anything to improve your gigs.

When I played a 3 piece band with another guy where we'd both switch on and off playing guitar and bass, we'd have dual amps, a bass and guitar amp on each side of the stage. We had them wired, so we could switch between playing guitar or bass and be heard through both cabs on stage and not have to swap sides of the stage to be in front of the amp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrgkmc View Post
Not sure if you'll get that much of a difference in tone. I don't know about the newer Traynor amps, but the older ones were pretty much Fender Knockoff's with slightly different EQ stacks. For varied tones I like using amps that are quite different in tone. One of my favorites I've used for years is a Fender and Marshall amp together.
The reason why I think that the tone could be different is that it is supposed to be a darker ''british'' tone. The amp has a pair of EL34 power tubes just like Marshalls

I may try to find one I can rent. Still it would have been interesting and useful to get your advices.

Dan
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search