The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
How to get Chicken Pickin guitar sounds from a vst compressor?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Kentucky Fried Chicken vs Albertson's Chicken?

My band, I'm in a two piece with biscuit and coleslaw.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
The Vitamin C compressor from Distortique is the best guitar pedal style one I've tried so far and it's free.

http://distorqueaudio.com/plugins/vitamin-c.html

I tried the sKnote version but it didn't sound anything like the DynaComp and I used to have a 70s original script version so I know the sound really well.

Try the Vitamin C, if you don't like no harm done anyway!

Have fun chicken picking!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnack View Post
I'm hoping to be able to get some chicken pickin guitar sounds from a vst compressor...
Are you trying to get it out of a guitar track you've already performed and recorded?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Are you trying to get it out of a guitar track you've already performed and recorded?
No, I'm just creating an amp sim rig for this sound and I've got two amp sims I'm using, which is the bx_bassdude and Kuassa Vermilion and I was considering running a vst comp in front of the amp(s). I also get a great clean sound from a Sansamp Psa-1 that I plug directly into my audio interface where the signal then meets a Fender IR and I use input monitoring in the daw in the case and that works great too though in that case since the PSA is hardware the comp actually has to come after the preamp if I were to use a vst comp. But for the bassdude and vermilion I can put a vst comp in front of those.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsmusic View Post
The Vitamin C compressor from Distortique is the best guitar pedal style one I've tried so far and it's free.

http://distorqueaudio.com/plugins/vitamin-c.html

I tried the sKnote version but it didn't sound anything like the DynaComp and I used to have a 70s original script version so I know the sound really well.

Try the Vitamin C, if you don't like no harm done anyway!

Have fun chicken picking!
I forgot about that one, I'll check it out man thanks. I may also see about a used Dyna comp hardware pedal to run into my interface - ever tried that? Running a hardware comp into an amp sim?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I forgot about that one, I'll check it out man thanks. I may also see about a used Dyna comp hardware pedal to run into my interface - ever tried that? Running a hardware comp into an amp sim?
Yes, I run pedals in front of an amp sim all of the time. I'm using Scuffham right now and using an all analog signal path before the interface with JHS Pulp N Peel compressor, VOX wah pedal, JHS Emperor chorus and just got an MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe. Works great!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Real pedals into amp sim is the way to go... even Chinese knock off real pedals sound better than most plugin pedals... most, not all IMO.

That being said... I love the SP Compressor pedal... it’s retired everything else... Brent, you may want to sit down... it’s even replaced the DBX 160x for GTR

But, if you’re staying in the robot box, don’t feel you have to stay with pedal plugins! Through an 1176, LA2a, a distressor plugin, your stock DAW compressor... the best time I have is working outside the box whilst still ITB

Last edited by bgood; 4 weeks ago at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Edit
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
I'm hoping to be able to get some chicken pickin guitar sounds from a vst compressor the same as you'd get from something like the Dyna Comp hardware pedal. Can anyone give me some guide lines to follow to try to achieve this effect w/ a vst compressor? I know of a Dyna Comp style pedal vst I can buy from Sknote, but I feel like this effect could probably be had from something I already have. I have Waves Gold, those four T-Rack CS compressors, API collections, SSL Channels and the Blue Tubes stuff that came with Sonar. Can any of these work? What type of settings wold I be looking at? Many thanks
Playing great chicken picken' sounds has nothing to do with your gear, it has to do with your hands, your talent, and your willingness to spend endless hours getting it right.

Chicken picken' has been around a LOT longer that pedals or stupid gear fetishism. All it takes to be a great chicken picker is a Telecaster or Gretsch, a vintage Fender tube amp, and talent and hard work.

Sorry, you can't buy the latter, which is the most important part by far, in a music store and you can't download it online.

And forget the amp sims, they don't have the touch sensitivity. Go buy an amp.

EDIT: And practice to some Jerry Reed records. He was chicken picken' before there ever were pedal compressors and killin' it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I think the sound I'm really after is something more of a rockabilly slapback w/ sort of a twangy sound but sans the actual hybrid pick/finger technique they use where the finger pick portion tends to really give that "chicken" sound. I guess I'm more about the pick-only technique w/ a twangy swingin slapback.

Dismusic reminded me of this free Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer pedal sim vst from Distorque called Vitamin C that's pretty cool actually. Some old wonky compressor pedal that some guys used back when. Check it out here http://distorqueaudio.com/plugins/vitamin-c.html

Here's a sloppy example I just recorded w/ a clean sound from my PSA-1 into my RME interface where the signal then meets the Vitamin C followed by a Fender Deluxe IR and Echoboy Jr. on an aux hooking up the slapback. I'm still dialing in the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/christ_jones_...Slap-Back-Riff
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Playing great chicken picken' sounds has nothing to do with your gear, it has to do with your hands, your talent, and your willingness to spend endless hours getting it right.

Chicken picken' has been around a LOT longer that pedals or stupid gear fetishism. All it takes to be a great chicken picker is a Telecaster or Gretsch, a vintage Fender tube amp, and talent and hard work.

Sorry, you can't buy the latter, which is the most important part by far, in a music store and you can't download it online.

And forget the amp sims, they don't have the touch sensitivity. Go buy an amp.

EDIT: And practice to some Jerry Reed records. He was chicken picken' before there ever were pedal compressors and killin' it.
Yeah I had a look at some guys doing it online and it looks hard. I'll check out Jerry Reed. I'm a quick study, the hybrid pick/finger style is awkward.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I do the chicken picken with a flat pick and my middle finger. I do not use finger picks. It's all about the muting which for me is done with the palm of my right hand and also the fingers of the left hand. To be honest I've been doing it for so long I can't really say how I do it as it just comes naturally.

James Buton was my hero - he used a thumb pick and two finger picks I believe which came from his early days playing on a banjo. I do not hink he relied on compression in any way although I'm guessing he used it at times.

Albert Lee sounds like he used compression more often for his sound.

I am guessing here based on my memory of various cuts of both Butron and Lee.

Lee also used delay with double stops to get some cool sounding licks.

I agree with John - it is mostly about the technique.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Playing great chicken picken' sounds has nothing to do with your gear...
Of course, yeah. If you can CP, you can CP on an acoustic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

To me vital is stomp box compression and slap back delay..
And NO reverb!
Keep it clean, use the compression for sustain.
Strat or a Telly..to taste.

Of corse fingers, but I think this topic was about tone...
Works well for rockabilly as well.

My favorite “in the box” is lkmeadia fender packs,
The Chicken picking preset, under bandmaster change amp to vibroverb , turn reverb off! change compression to d-comp, put delay time to minimum, and stereo, and a few other small tweaks, if that ain’t Nashville don’t know what is!!!

Pretty much similar to my real “hardware” gear set up...orange comp, analog slapback, stereo out to two virboverbs...

No acoustic and no player, will make that tone...
It kills at chicken pickin...

I have rented out this exact set up, it is in a few well known cds...it’s fairly simple and works well.

Last edited by chipss36; 3 weeks ago at 08:04 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
I don't entirely agree about "no reverb", but if there is reverb it needs to be a real spring reverb in a Fender or similar amp and it should be very, very slight - just a little "fringe" around the edges. Any more will muddy things up. And no digital reverb or ITB plugin will sit right.

It has to be built into the amp (or in an FX loop) because it has to be after and compression or distortion - including the amp's preamp - or, again, it will muddy things up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I've heard less hidebound opinions on the NYC subway about the Talmud.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
I've heard less hidebound opinions on the NYC subway about the Talmud.
Put three guitarist in a room, ask them a question and you'll get four opinions..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I would expect nothing less from gs.
A snide remark, yet zero on the ops post.
So helpful???

No one way to do this that’s for sure, be it how the fingers do the picking, or what fingers , to amps or not, to mics, mic pres, the engineers workflow, and experience...and the talents intent for the song...

I am about backwards from Johns idea, don’t use reverb at all in tracking, with fast picking or complex phrases, it makes mush “to me” , the mixing stage reverb can be added to get things to sit in a mix, and I have choices, if tracked that way I do not.

Both I am sure will get it done.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
... zero on the ops post.
Including you.

The guy has a bunch of plugins, wants the ideal chicken pickin' settings from those specific plugins, and wants the work to have been already done by someone else.

That's kind of a big ask.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlsmusic View Post
Put three guitarist in a room, ask them a question and you'll get four opinions..
Those subway Hasidim, btw, only argued about the Talmud every so often. Mostly it was about baseball.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Well actually not including me.

He has t-racks, I explained how to get a chicken pickin sound from ikmeadia that makes usable tracks...it very possible.
Ikmeadia currently has a buy one get 9 free at the moment....a good time to pick up amplitube!

You are quarreling, adding nothing to the post,
And have a problem with the ops question...
The baseball post is down the hall, 3rd door on the left...

Why post at all brent?

Quote:
Including you.

The guy has a bunch of plugins, wants the ideal chicken pickin' settings from those specific plugins, and wants the work to have been already done by someone else.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
... and wants the work to have been already done by someone else.

Lol I'm not sure I follow you (or if you follow me rather) about wanting someone else to have done the work for me.

Initially, I was asking how to basically get a Dyna Comp type of compressor behaviour from various vst compressors I may already have, implying that the vst environment is where I'm working and inquiring from/about. I did *not* ask whether or not I should ditch the sims and go buy a real amp as was suggested somewhere back there.
Yes I was asking about chicken pickin sounds, but really I was asking about *guitar and amp tone* in that regard, not playing style per se, though I know the two can go hand in hand for that style. Like asking about putting certain racing wheels on a car that I don't intend to use as a race car but just want the performance from the wheels - maybe not the best analogy but whatever. And the fact that I'm tone chasing down a path I'm not 100% sure of..

So then, in a post after that, I clarified what sound I was *really* after once I had experimented a bit: a twangy rockabilly type of slapback sound w/ *pick only* SANS the hybrid finger pick portion, and I posted an audio example. But I guess we missed that post, which is cool no big deal, but if what the OP is saying is not being read well, then.. Lol just saying, this bickering about what this thread is really about, but not reading the OP's follow up posts... Lol no harm brothers, good 'ol gearslutz and I always appreciate *all* responses because I almost always learn something.

The good news is I got the sound I wanted (the SoundCloud example I posted above which I've since improved on). And I learned a couple things from the posts here and was reminded of that cool and free Vitamin C pedal. But that's how it goes w/ tone chasing; you start down one path and end up on another. That's the best part.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I would expect nothing less from gs.
A snide remark, yet zero on the ops post.
So helpful???

No one way to do this that’s for sure, be it how the fingers do the picking, or what fingers , to amps or not, to mics, mic pres, the engineers workflow, and experience...and the talents intent for the song...

I am about backwards from Johns idea, don’t use reverb at all in tracking, with fast picking or complex phrases, it makes mush “to me” , the mixing stage reverb can be added to get things to sit in a mix, and I have choices, if tracked that way I do not.

Both I am sure will get it done.
Well, that's why I said "very little". By which I actually meant "VERY LITTLE" - like if it's at all obvious it's too much. That's also why I said it should be a spring built into the amp, because those tend to integrate more gracefully into the amp's tone. Digital reverbs in particular tend to be more obvious.

It should also be applied during tracking because it's going to affect how you play. It's also going to show when you're using too much - if it muddles articulation on fast or intricate phrases you're using too much. And you don't want to use it to make the guitar "sit in the mix" because in this case it's part of the guitar tone, not a pseudo-environmental mix effect.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Including you.

Especially since his stupid plugins have nothing whatsoever to do with chicken pickin'.

Question - Can the OP actually perform chicken pickin' with any degree of competence or is he simply (like too many people who make such queries around here) looking for a quick and dirty shortcut? Which he ain't gonna find, because chicken pickin' is all in the fingers and everything else is at best secondary.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 2 weeks ago at 03:16 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Well actually not including me.

He has t-racks, I explained how to get a chicken pickin sound from ikmeadia that makes usable tracks...it very possible.
Total BS.

Chicken pickin' is ALL IN THE DAMN FINGERS, it has nothing whatsoever to do with "plugin" crap. None of that garbage even existed when chicken pickin' was developed or perfected.

When I was a kid in Oklahoma hanging out at the local guitar store I used to watch the older guys chicken pickin their asses off with nothing but a guitar and amp. THAT'S ALL YOU REALLY NEED - IF YOU CAN PLAY!

And if you can't play THAT WAY no amount of processing, either ITB or OTB will do it for you.

SHADDUP AND LEARN TO PLAY THE DAMN GUITAR! Or go look at cat pictures on Farcebook.

If you're talking about TONE, all you need is a Telecaster (a real one, no humbuckers) or a vintage Gretsch and a (traditional design) Fender amp. That's ALL, besides being able to master the technique. But you can use the technique on most anything, from a Gibson acoustic to a jazz box ( which many early country pickers favored.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
hidebound
Great word!

And how did chickens get in here?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Great word!

And how did chickens get in here?
Sneeeky chickens
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Sneeeky chickens
And why do these chickens think they need compressors? Or old fender amps? Or software?

Chickens are delicious without any of that stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
And why do these chickens think they need compressors? Or old fender amps? Or software?

Chickens are delicious without any of that stuff.
Well, fender amps run hot so they need them for warmth. Software - well, even chickens like tech to participate in discussions like this one (chickens are people too after all). Now compressors - that's an unexplained mystery. Who needs compressors?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Total BS.

Chicken pickin' is ALL IN THE DAMN FINGERS, it has nothing whatsoever to do with "plugin" crap. None of that garbage even existed when chicken pickin' was developed or perfected.

When I was a kid in Oklahoma hanging out at the local guitar store I used to watch the older guys chicken pickin their asses off with nothing but a guitar and amp. THAT'S ALL YOU REALLY NEED - IF YOU CAN PLAY!

And if you can't play THAT WAY no amount of processing, either ITB or OTB will do it for you.

SHADDUP AND LEARN TO PLAY THE DAMN GUITAR! Or go look at cat pictures on Farcebook.

If you're talking about TONE, all you need is a Telecaster (a real one, no humbuckers) or a vintage Gretsch and a (traditional design) Fender amp. That's ALL, besides being able to master the technique. But you can use the technique on most anything, from a Gibson acoustic to a jazz box ( which many early country pickers favored.)
Lol what an old guard cliché dude get lost already. Your stuff's not even worth reading past the first sentence. You're essentially coming into a thread where someone's asking what's the best burger place and you're running on like a drunken hobo about how they need to learn to make neapolitan pizza. I don't respect you. I only checked this thread again because I saw a notification.. my bad lol.
Gearslutz ain't changed a bit man lol (some of you were cool)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol what an old guard cliché dude get lost already. Your stuff's not even worth reading past the first sentence. You're essentially coming into a thread where someone's asking what's the best burger place and you're running on like a drunken hobo about how they need to learn to make neapolitan pizza. I don't respect you. I only checked this thread again because I saw a notification.. my bad lol.
Gearslutz ain't changed a bit man lol (some of you were cool)
No need for rudeness.
John is entirely correct that "chicken pickin'" is all in the fingers (of both hands). Has very little to do with compressors (although if you want to use one - world is your oyster). Any clean amp will do.
John may come across as somewhat brash (so do i and everybody here sometimes) but that does not minimise his expertise and many here respect his opinion.
Maybe when you sober up you will find some courage to apologise to him (and all of us who in your opinion lost their cool)
Luck of manners does not make you cool.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search