The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
How to get Chicken Pickin guitar sounds from a vst compressor?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
We're talking about POLYNESIAN CUISINE, not your snot nose kiddie crap! When CHICKEN PLUCKIN' was all IN THE HANDS. Of the POLYNESIANS!
Pluckin? I know this thread was heading for a devious turn.
Old 6 days ago
to simulate a dyna comp style compressor ITB I would suggest.
4ms attack time (dyna comp)
100-150ms release
hard knee
4:1 Ratio
Threshold to taste - depends on your playing

But like some others pointed out already.
Most of the sound is coming from the fingers, attack and good damping.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremolux View Post
to simulate a dyna comp style compressor ITB I would suggest.
4ms attack time (dyna comp)
100-150ms release
hard knee
4:1 Ratio
Threshold to taste - depends on your playing

But like some others pointed out already.
Most of the sound is coming from the fingers, attack and good damping.
This is good stuff -- there's plenty of other reasons to want a dyna-comp thing happening. Knopfler-type sounds, Lowell George/Bonnie Raitt slide, "Shaft" wacka-wacka...

I do something similar with the stock PT compressor, but slightly soft knee and a higher ratio. Really close to this, though.

The variable knee on that free-with-PT compressor, btw, is brilliant.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is good stuff -- there's plenty of other reasons to want a dyna-comp thing happening. Knopfler-type sounds, Lowell George/Bonnie Raitt slide, "Shaft" wacka-wacka...

I do something similar with the stock PT compressor, but slightly soft knee and a higher ratio. Really close to this, though.

The variable knee on that free-with-PT compressor, btw, is brilliant.
Unfortunately it takes alot more then generic compressor settings to replicate the dyna-comp sound. Haven't heard any soft comps even coming close (or to any other "sound" comps). Come to think of this, not many hardware "based on dyna-comp" compressors sound like it either.
Just my $.02
Old 6 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Unfortunately it takes alot more then generic compressor settings to replicate the dyna-comp sound. Haven't heard any soft comps even coming close (or to any other "sound" comps). Come to think of this, not many hardware "based on dyna-comp" compressors sound like it either.
Just my $.02
My kid's new Dyna Comp doesn't sound like my old one, for that matter. But if you want to do your own thing "inspired by" DynaComp without getting needlessly derailed by the need to copy it exactly, tremolux's suggestion is a good place to start.

Heck, tremolo's settings might make it into a hit record next week, and in 2059 engineers as yet unborn will be trying to figure out how to copy it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My kid's new Dyna Comp doesn't sound like my old one, for that matter. But if you want to do your own thing "inspired by" DynaComp without getting needlessly derailed by the need to copy it exactly, tremolux's suggestion is a good place to start.

Heck, tremolo's settings might make it into a hit record next week, and in 2059 engineers as yet unborn will be trying to figure out how to copy it.
I have 2xScript Dyna's and some fandango "just like the original" reissue by Dunlop. RI doesn't sound like the scripts much. Its a lot more generic sounding. Come to think of it the scripts sound a bit different from each other (although both are originals) All software comps sound plain to me.
The original scripts are abit noisy, not as much headroom and can be overdriven. Thats their sound, and thats what you hear on the old recordings. They are used not so much for the compression but for their TONE. It is missing in the software completely.
Given today's prices i would recommend buying an MXR dyna instead of the software versions. Its cheap enough and you get a superior sound.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Off topic and combative...
That’s gs for ya...

Dwight yoakam Band used “silly” plug ins and sold a zillion records...And toured with line 6 pods...lol
Many in Nashville were asking how Pete was getting his tone..

More than one way to skin a cat...
Some just don’t understand that.

How many records you sold John?
Ask Jim Williams about what Dwight REALLY tours with. I understand that he uses rebuilt Deluxe Reverb reissues. Yes, I know that Pete Anderson endorses Line 6, but that does not necessarily mean that's what he really uses. Money is money.

What's your background? I grew up in Oklahoma, listening to the "old guys" at the local guitar shop engaging in friendly "cutting sessions" that included a LOT of chicken pickn'. That was LONG BEFORE anybody ever heard or dreamed of a "guitar plugin" except for the things on the ends of your cords. There were no "guitar compressors".

You want the authentic sounds, first comes the technique, second comes the classic gear.

Without the technique the gear means nothing. With the technique the gear doesn't mean much.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
What you are offering is one subjective tone opinion regarding what chick pick is suppose to sound like, according to you.

There was chicken picking before any of this stuff existed. It was legit picking, and the addition of these tonal gimmicks add nothing to the mix but a few arbitrary FX settings.

You never heard Jerry Reed chicken pick an acoustic?

I suggest that if the OP doesn't know about the one (most typical) tonal variation (of many) that you are suggesting above, he's got some preliminary work to do with his fingers first. He's obviously not a chicken picker.

BTW, slap back has potential of far more mayhem to chicken picking then does a small touch of reverb. Slap back being about 80ms area, and I (and many others) can CP about 10 notes a second. Mayhem ensues...
He doesn't know the difference between chicken pickin' and rockabilly, evidently. Some guys use slap to try to fake the technique.

Again, listen to some Jerry Reed.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
Who knew rockabilly was done on acoustic...
Proving, as I just said, that you don't know the difference between actual chicken pickin' and rockabilly slap.

There's a BIG difference.

As to rockabilly on acoustic, MANY rockabilly rhythm guitarists played acoustics. Going way back to Elvis on Sun, if not before. Gene Vincent. Johnny Horton. Back before all rockabilly acts had drums, acoustic rhythm guitar was the primary rhythm instrument.

Quote:
Delay is set by tempo. Is it not? Geez..
No, not on '50s rock n roll and country it wasn't.

There were no echo units before 1961 that had variable delay times. Before that delay was determined by tape speed and head spacing. They didn't even have Varispeed back then.

NOW, of course, technology makes it easy to sync delay time and tempo. But back then it was impossible.

So you could not use delay to fake chicken pickin'.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnack View Post
Lol absolutely. Have his people contact my people and we'll see about drafting something to help fuse his broken feelings.
Don't flatter yourself.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Ain't easy to hurt the feelings of a person whose only feeling is "pissed."
Believe it or not, my most common feeling is "amused". But that doesn't mean that I suffer fools lightly.

These days I'm cutting my time here drastically in favor of a couple sites where the information to idiocy ratio is much better.

The main reason I continue here is that somebody has to try to oppose the huge amount of bad information that might be taken seriously by newbies.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by csnack View Post
Tl;dr dude. Got any more word salad or you still killing that bottle of Thunderbird?
Shirley, stop that jestin'!

I live in the middle of WINE COUNTRY. I don't think you can even buy Thunderbird around here.

Tonight I'm having an excellent Merlot from one of the wineries my band plays at.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
We're talking about POLYNESIAN CUISINE, not your snot nose kiddie crap! When CHICKEN PLUCKIN' was all IN THE HANDS. Of the POLYNESIANS!
It's not totally Polynesian, but I do love me a good Phillipino chicken adobo!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search