The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Workhorse guitar recommendations
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 998abe3
Workhorse guitar recommendations

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a workhorse because I'm kind of paranoid and don't like to go out with my Music Man Cutlass RS.

So I'd like to know which guitar do you recommend for a $700-$1000 budget. I've been thinking about PRS, LTD or Schecter. I've never played on a PRS though. People use to say their necks are extremely comfortable but kind of chunky.

Cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I like Reverend guitars, they’re very well made. This one is $1100, there are less expensive models, all nice-

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/six-gun
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
I like Reverend guitars, they’re very well made. This one is $1100, there are less expensive models, all nice-

https://www.reverendguitars.com/guitars/six-gun
That looks like a nice option.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guictr View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a workhorse because I'm kind of paranoid and don't like to go out with my Music Man Cutlass RS.

So I'd like to know which guitar do you recommend for a $700-$1000 budget. I've been thinking about PRS, LTD or Schecter. I've never played on a PRS though. People use to say their necks are extremely comfortable but kind of chunky.

Cheers!
RE: Schecter. I think they are generally "underrated," in non-metal crowds, but I would put their guitars against anyone in comparable price range. Because of this, you can often find their stuff used for quite a bit less than new. Probably the biggest determining factor is that Schecter fretboards tend to run flatter than average Fenders/Ernie Balls/etc, which may or may not be what you are looking for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Mexican Telecaster. Play it a year and sell it for about what you paid for it, about 500 bucks.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 998abe3 View Post
[. . .] I'd like to know which guitar do you recommend for a $700-$1000 budget. [. . .]!
Actually, I would recommend looking for the best 'deal' on something that you can make 'fit you' more than looking for any specific model - unless you just had your heart set on a particular set of things - or taking the time to find and fall in love with something.

PRS wouldn't hurt my feelings, though.

Ray H.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
RE: Schecter. I think they are generally "underrated," in non-metal crowds, but I would put their guitars against anyone in comparable price range. Because of this, you can often find their stuff used for quite a bit less than new. Probably the biggest determining factor is that Schecter fretboards tend to run flatter than average Fenders/Ernie Balls/etc, which may or may not be what you are looking for.
I totally agree with you. I tested a Schecter Keith Marrow once and I liked it a lot.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Mexican Telecaster. Play it a year and sell it for about what you paid for it, about 500 bucks.
How did I skip Mexican Fenders?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

My go-to when in doubt is still my strat. So yeah, you could pick up a decent strat for that money, no problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HSS

Feels great, sort of flat sounding but for your expectation this is a good thing as can replicate many tones. Has a no-load tone pot so you can dial out the treble if it becomes a problem with too much distortion. There are HH and HSH version too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HSS

Feels great, sort of flat sounding but for your expectation this is a good thing as can replicate many tones. Has a no-load tone pot so you can dial out the treble if it becomes a problem with too much distortion. There are HH and HSH version too.
That's what I would get too. Those Charvels look and sound great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
That's what I would get too. Those Charvels look and sound great.
Man, that one seems amazing!

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but is caramelized neck the same as roasted neck?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Les Paul
Tele
Strat
SG

No particular order
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Les Paul
Tele
Strat
SG

No particular order
I like Akhal-teke workhorse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers!
A HSS strat (with splittable H-bridge pickup) and a piezo equipped trem saddles.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
I like Akhal-teke workhorse.
You would. : )
Old 4 weeks ago
Deleted 998abe3
Quote:
A HSS strat (with splittable H-bridge pickup) and a piezo equipped trem saddles.
Right now, the Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HSS that cooker and Mario-C recommended is leading the race.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You would. : )
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 998abe3 View Post
Right now, the Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HSS that cooker and Mario-C recommended is leading the race.
:-). Really any light guitar with a suitable neck profile and the configuration I mentioned will do. Many Ibanez, ESP, Charvels... meet the spec. The only ones with a piezo bridge off the shelf i know is the Parker fly (one of my favourite guitars). Super light, super nice to play, nice piezo trem and has all the electronics specs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Man, that one seems amazing!

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but is caramelized neck the same as roasted neck?
It's pretty much the same thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Why is everyone suggesting parts-type guitars, when a decent Gibson or Fender could be easily in the OPs budget?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Also, FWIW:

https://dejayce-guitars.com/gallery

"The WorkHorse is the flagship of Dejayce Guitars and features the finest of woods and appointments. Kiln dried alder is the core of the WorkHorse with a beautiful 5A bookmatched flame maple top and Indian rosewood or maple for the fingerboard.

The neck is a wide and thin "D" shaped profile for sleek and fast playing with a 20" radius.
Measuring 1-11/16" at the nut and 2-3/16" at the heel, the 22 fret neck features 6100 jumbo frets and has a hand rubbed oil finish. The neck measures .700" at the first fret and .800" at the 12th.
Twin graphite stabilizer rods are inserted during construction of the neck that run along both sides of a dual action truss rod to insure that no warpage or twist will occur. All these features allow for the 1mm action at the 22nd fret all DeJayce Guitars come with!

The WorkHorse features Seymour Duncan pickups and the original Floyd Rose tremolo. It's available in a single humbucker, one volume configuration or dual humbuckers with one volume, one tone and a 5-way pickup selector for tonal options.

Another feature is the ease of restringing due to the OEM locking tuners. A Floyd Rose nut is standard hardware however the locking tuners make restringing extremely quick.

There are many other options available just figure out what you want or contact me and we'll discuss it. I am just grateful to all those players who have chosen my company DeJayce!

Dannyjoe Carter"
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why is everyone suggesting parts-type guitars, when a decent Gibson or Fender could be easily in the OPs budget?
Because you get a bespoke, much higher quality guitar for a lot less $$$
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also, FWIW:

https://dejayce-guitars.com/gallery

"The WorkHorse is the flagship of Dejayce Guitars and features the finest of woods and appointments. Kiln dried alder is the core of the WorkHorse with a beautiful 5A bookmatched flame maple top and Indian rosewood or maple for the fingerboard.

The neck is a wide and thin "D" shaped profile for sleek and fast playing with a 20" radius.
Measuring 1-11/16" at the nut and 2-3/16" at the heel, the 22 fret neck features 6100 jumbo frets and has a hand rubbed oil finish. The neck measures .700" at the first fret and .800" at the 12th.
Twin graphite stabilizer rods are inserted during construction of the neck that run along both sides of a dual action truss rod to insure that no warpage or twist will occur. All these features allow for the 1mm action at the 22nd fret all DeJayce Guitars come with!

The WorkHorse features Seymour Duncan pickups and the original Floyd Rose tremolo. It's available in a single humbucker, one volume configuration or dual humbuckers with one volume, one tone and a 5-way pickup selector for tonal options.

Another feature is the ease of restringing due to the OEM locking tuners. A Floyd Rose nut is standard hardware however the locking tuners make restringing extremely quick.

There are many other options available just figure out what you want or contact me and we'll discuss it. I am just grateful to all those players who have chosen my company DeJayce!

Dannyjoe Carter"
Price?Many boutiques out there, some are well regarded companies (Suhr, Anderson, Melancon, Novo, Southpark and many more) if you want to spend $$$$
Plus SD pickups are very ho-ham. And Floyd is a tone-robbing piece of s**t - unless thats what you want
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The best thing I can really recommend is to get into a shop and try some. Unless you're getting another of X guitar and the manufacturer is very consistent, I would always recommend trying a guitar before playing it.

I've found that my SE Custom 24 has been my go to guitar for most things over the last 4 years. It does humbucker and single coil tones (not quite Les Paul- not enough bottom end, and not quite strat- less twang on the attack) and is a rare guitar I own where I've kept the stock pickups. Tonally it's very versatile. The neck is extremely comfortable- slim enough to be easy and round enough to be cosy. Punches well above its weight price-wise too.

That said, Mexican Fenders have a great reputation and you could look at the top end of Epiphone if you don't want bottom of range Gibson too.

Can't comment on Schechter- never played one and LTD can be very model specific.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'd probably go with something like this and not bother with the piezo part. A beater acoustic with a piezo will sound more authentic, and you probably already have one lying around anyway. Also, showing up with two guitars is value-added.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Tons of Fender Strats in this price range to replace the Cutlass as your working guitar. The feel will be similar and you'll have great Strat tone.

Just hit your local guitar shop and play all the strats they have til you find the one that feels best.

Stock should serve you well but they are also so easy to mod and upgrade over time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Price?Many boutiques out there, some are well regarded companies (Suhr, Anderson, Melancon, Novo, Southpark and many more) if you want to spend $$$$
Have you seen/heard Suhr's new Studio amp? Wonderful blend of vintage and modern. Serious Studio amp with all the right stuff....

Quote:
Plus SD pickups are very ho-ham. And Floyd is a tone-robbing piece of s**t - unless thats what you want
I don't think it's fair to write off the whole company's line. They do make more than one model, right?

I wholeheartedly agree on the Floyd and it kinda upsets me the website refers to it as "original Floyd". It is NOT! The original was non-locking, and more importantly, no fine tuners. You start adding a bunch of moving parts to the bridge and bye bye tone. That said Kahler's were worse.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

+1 Charvel Pro-Mod DK 24.

You get a lot of guitar for the money with the Pro-Mod line.

The whole Floyds are tone suckers thing is funny. The more weight you add to a floating tremolo, the more you stabilize it from sympathetic vibrations coming from the strings. That is why big block tremolos are considered so effective. A lot of people who use floating tremolos like the Floyds Rose get tones that are widely acclaimed so I would not place much stock in the biases of a guy or two on the internet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNasty View Post
+1 Charvel Pro-Mod DK 24.

You get a lot of guitar for the money with the Pro-Mod line.

The whole Floyds are tone suckers thing is funny. The more weight you add to a floating tremolo, the more you stabilize it from sympathetic vibrations coming from the strings. That is why big block tremolos are considered so effective. A lot of people who use floating tremolos like the Floyds Rose get tones that are widely acclaimed so I would not place much stock in the biases of a guy or two on the internet.
Fair point but the real original with just some attention to details floats and sounds MUCH better and more unique to a specific guitar since nuance is not lost so much in multiple moving parts. The reason I mentioned Kahler is because basically no matter what guitar you put them on, they will all sound the same... like a Kahler guitar..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search