The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Supro amps?
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Head
Supro amps?

Anyone used one of these newer supro amps? I’m in two bands and I’m tired of hauling my AC15 back and forth. Went looking for something lighter that would be a different sound than the Vox. Was looking at one of the small fender amps, but I see the Supro Saturn reverb and the blues king aren’t that far off price-wise. Any thoughts? Looking for a reliable, fairly light, good pedal platform. Indie rock to alt-country. Thanks!
Old 7th September 2019

They're decent... You said you were looking for a different sound - so, take your #1 and go play some....

-tINY

Old 7th September 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

They're decent... You said you were looking for a different sound - so, take your #1 and go play some....

I can’t find any locally, I’d be ordering online so looking for advice first
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Nut

I have a Saturn Reverb that I bought after watching John Bollinger review it for Premier Guitar. I don't use pedals much but I love it for its cleans and great reverb and vibrato. My understanding is that Supro no longer makes this model.
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsongs View Post
I have a Saturn Reverb that I bought after watching John Bollinger review it for Premier Guitar. I don't use pedals much but I love it for its cleans and great reverb and vibrato. My understanding is that Supro no longer makes this model.
Thanks for that. Would you say it’s voiced like a fender? Or like a vox? Or totally different?
Old 7th September 2019
Gear Maniac

There different than Vox or Fender. But not always.

Some time ago I compared a 68 Princeton, AC30 and Royal Reverb.
For clean sounds I could get them close. The Fender's natural tone is more sparkly, but that can become fatigueing.

The Supro just had a more complex tone than the other 2.
I also really liked the fact that the Supro was dead silent when you rolled down the volume on your guitar. Even when the amp was fully cranked.

So I bought the Supro.
Later I also bought a Dual Tone for its really nice dirty amp sounds.
Old 7th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogilthorpe View Post
I can’t find any locally, I’d be ordering online so looking for advice first

Well, the supro is more like a tweed fender than a Vox or a blackface. But, the low-end is softer.

You may need to shop used and prepare for selling off amps you didn't like. Buy 3 or 4 and keep the one or two you like. Personally, I'd make a trip or two to some music stores, even if you have to spend the night in a motel.

Or, maybe, you have some friends that live near some bigger guitar shops....

-tINY

Old 7th September 2019
Gear Nut

It doesn't sound like my silverface Princeton Reverb, dripedge Bandmaster Reverb or my AC15. I can't remember the numbers of the tube compliment but it's not 6L6, 6V6 or EL 84. As I said, I use mine for cleans with great Vibrato and Reverb. As above, go try a bunch out.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Addict

We've got a 1624T Dual Tone here. A great little amp, 24-watts through a single 12" speaker and not too expensive (it also seems to be discontinued). Input 2 is the clean channel, while Input 1 cascades both inputs 1 and 2 to create some pretty cool overdrive possibilities. Not sure what flavor of AC-15 you have, but the 1624 has a decidedly more bluesy vibe than our AC-15 Heritage Handwire (especially in the cascaded input). Worth checking out if you can find one used....

Dave/Suspect Studios
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspects View Post
We've got a 1624T Dual Tone here. A great little amp, 24-watts through a single 12" speaker and not too expensive (it also seems to be discontinued). Input 2 is the clean channel, while Input 1 cascades both inputs 1 and 2 to create some pretty cool overdrive possibilities. Not sure what flavor of AC-15 you have, but the 1624 has a decidedly more bluesy vibe than our AC-15 Heritage Handwire (especially in the cascaded input). Worth checking out if you can find one used....

Dave/Suspect Studios
That’s the kind of info I was after, thank you!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So when is someone going to "re-issue" Ampeg Reverberockets and those Sears Silvertones that I watched for almost fifty years before people discovered them?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My buddy has a newer Supro. It's very nice. You might also give Bad Cat a listen. Cub 15R is nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspects View Post

Dave/Suspect Studios
We have one as well & LOVE IT!! Also have a Statesman that is fun. But I think they really got it right with the Dual Tone. Great clean pedal platform, excellent drive (blues, indie, alt tones). It’s my favorite in the new Supro line.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde67 View Post
We have one as well & LOVE IT!! Also have a Statesman that is fun. But I think they really got it right with the Dual Tone. Great clean pedal platform, excellent drive (blues, indie, alt tones). It’s my favorite in the new Supro line.
Awesome, thank you!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search