The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Save my marriage...or at least her sanity
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Save my marriage...or at least her sanity

Hello everyone. I recently started playing guitar...been a bass player for years. Pedals are new to me. I bought a Supro Thunderbolt amp, Jekyll and Hyde Distortion/Overdrive pedal and a Hall of Fame 2 Reverb.
The Supro is awesome but really loud. The wife said get headphones or turn it off!!!
I get it. She wants to watch Hallmark, I want to practice some G&R. The two don't mix well in an open air house where you can hear a fly fart across the house.
So like they say, if momma ain't happy then no one is happy.
Can you please help figure this out?
I've got a Behringer 502 mixer. Had it for years and plug my bass and fender strat directly into it for practice.
Got my phone running into the tape input for tunes and instrument in line 1. Gain at mid and volume at about 10 o'clock and it's plenty loud.
Not using a DI.
Will the pedals blow/harm the mixer?
I've looked at getting a little Orange Crush Mini or a little head like the Orange Terror. But before I drop 60 to 150 bucks I wanted to see if the direct approach with what I have will work.
I just need to be able to practice with headphones, mp3 player and my pedals.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Save my marriage...or at least her sanity-20190902_114433.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Maniac

That will not harm your mixer.

It will probably not sound very nice.
A mixer is not a very good substitute of a guitar amp + speaker.
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you. What do you recommend for best sound playing into headphones only?
Small amp?
DI box to mixer?
Old 2nd September 2019
You need a DI box with cabinet simulator such as the UAD OX, or an amp with its own inbuilt cab sim and headphone out, or failing either of those a sim of some sort.
Old 2nd September 2019
Here for the gear

A cheap solution is something like a BEhringer V-tone guitar driver. They cost like $25 bucks.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

I would've suggested that it costs essentially zero dollars to plug headphones into most TVs but I suppose that would just be way too Alpha, right?
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

A small practice amp or fix pedal board with headphone jack. As for best sounding.. not sure.
You could go modeling amp for sure for practice.
Anywhere from a Roland cube, to katana , to the fender gt series, or line 6.
I kind of like the boss Roland stuff soundwise, personally.
The line 6 and fender gt Can have more options depending on which one you get.
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Maniac

buy her some headphones!!

:D
Old 3rd September 2019
Gear Maniac

Maybe a cab simulator (like the Mooer Radar or Digitech CabDryVR) will do the job.
You could still be using the Behringer that way,
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

You really need to be able to use a Marshall stack, or anything else you want, as loud as you want. Limiting yourself to some punk-ass practice amp or headphones will suck, and may even damage your tonefulness.

So you need to build a separate, soundproof room. It doesn't need to be that big, just soundproof.

And you just put your wife in that separate, soundproof room when you play. guitar. That way you won't be able to hear her. Otherwise, if she starts complaining [likely] while you are in the middle of a shred, she could be a distraction.
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Alternatively, since she has already suggested / requested headphones, you could get her a pair of those. Maybe paint them her favorite color or something.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Hearing-Pro...EED/B01BEENYCQ
Attached Thumbnails
Save my marriage...or at least her sanity-images-68.jpeg  
Old 7th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
You really need to be able to use a Marshall stack, or anything else you want, as loud as you want. Limiting yourself to some punk-ass practice amp or headphones will suck, and may even damage your tonefulness.

So you need to build a separate, soundproof room. It doesn't need to be that big, just soundproof.

And you just put your wife in that separate, soundproof room when you play. guitar. That way you won't be able to hear her. Otherwise, if she starts complaining [likely] while you are in the middle of a shred, she could be a distraction.
HA! Sometimes you actually ARE quite funny!

It may actually too late to save the wife's sanity - after all, she DID marry a musician....
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

I went through this very same issue more so with close by neighbors vs the love of TUBE AMPS, I hated the headphone emulated out on the backstar its decent and as an all in one option is pretty good but I wanted louder and more clarity I settled on UA ARROW with emulation of the ENGL Savage for headphone playing, and I got the PRS MT15 which I loved the sound of and added a power soak to it and the bedroom levels are perfect , I would check out some black star bass stuff decent heADPHONE CIRCUIT and maybe get a tube amp with power soak ? for headphones I find the UA emulations blow any DI out of the box
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

VOX makes a set of headphones with two mini plug cables - 1 you get a mini to 1/4" TS adapter and plug into your guitar and the other cable you plug into a headphones jack on a PC or cell or a line out etc. This way you can either practice just with the guitar or you can play along with tunes. These phones have a gain so you can get distortion and they also have chorus and reverb effexts if you so desire.

I think they are VOX AC30.

Smart that they did not affix the cables to the phones - this way when the cables go bad you just buy new cables.

I've been using these for a number of years and think they are great.

Of course you need to be careful not to fall into the trap of playing too loud as you do not want to ruin your ears.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Addict

Get a Joyo American Sound pedal (analog amp simulator). Put it before the mixer.
Thank me later.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhshane321 View Post
Hello everyone. I recently started playing guitar...been a bass player for years. Pedals are new to me. I bought a Supro Thunderbolt amp, Jekyll and Hyde Distortion/Overdrive pedal and a Hall of Fame 2 Reverb.
The Supro is awesome but really loud. The wife said get headphones or turn it off!!!
I get it. She wants to watch Hallmark, I want to practice some G&R. The two don't mix well in an open air house where you can hear a fly fart across the house.
So like they say, if momma ain't happy then no one is happy.
Can you please help figure this out?
I've got a Behringer 502 mixer. Had it for years and plug my bass and fender strat directly into it for practice.
Got my phone running into the tape input for tunes and instrument in line 1. Gain at mid and volume at about 10 o'clock and it's plenty loud.
Not using a DI.
Will the pedals blow/harm the mixer?
I've looked at getting a little Orange Crush Mini or a little head like the Orange Terror. But before I drop 60 to 150 bucks I wanted to see if the direct approach with what I have will work.
I just need to be able to practice with headphones, mp3 player and my pedals.

Thanks.

Write and play her a little ditty; she'll either laugh or cry, but I guarantee you- she'll love it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search