The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Fear Inoculum
Old 1st September 2019
Gear Addict

Fear Inoculum

Have you guys heard Tool's new album Fear Inoculum it sounds incredible, the bass and guitars are out of this world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D2R69gVyZ0
Old 1st September 2019
Here for the gear
Been listening to the album since friday, slowly getting to grips with it.
Sonically, sounds huge, in a way it’s really polished yet there is still that raw, gritty texture all over the guitar and bass sound and it is very rewarding to listen to.

Still soaking a lot of the songs in tho, so much to listen to on that album. Lot of people have been saying how disappointed they are, I tried to not get my hopes up too high in anticipation so I am actually kind of positively surprised at how well put together it is. Love the thematic feel they have going on, and the knockout punch they deliver with 7empest is spot on.

But yeah, sonically - they knocked it out of the park. Great work by everyone involved.
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Personally I prefer the guitar sound on 10,000 Days. But damn it, I won't question the sound/mix decision of Joe Barresi and Adam Jones, and the entire Tool members!
*keeps Fear Inoculum on repeat
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear

Been on repeat here too. Can't get enough of the mix myself. Lots of interesting double-amping tones, half-cocked wah, very powerful tones and yet very articulate and clear.

Some astounding work, Mr Jones!

Pneuma...
Old 2nd September 2019
How nice for you!
Old 3rd September 2019
Lives for gear

‪being brutally honest here.
I just heard the track they released a few weeks ago and it’s the same chorus/delay guitar and bass with Maynard moaning over it, and Danny carrey trying to make sense of it all and keep it interesting. Then 4 minutes or so in, it turns into jam, with Maynard moaning a little differently and sometimes some wah on the guitar leads..‬ ‪I’ve listened to Undertow for about 27 years now. That’s the only album I dig and I listen to it all the time.
‪The rest of their **** is some kind of, hippie, spiritual science rock. Feels like Adam Jones is just playing the same **** over and over again for years and trying not to make it so obvious and boring.‬
I wish they’d have got Sylvia Massey back to produce what is very likely, their last album.
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Head

Great album. It's really well recorded. And it's not compressed and distorted to hell like a lot of other records in the genre. I have listened to it every day since it was released. It's not getting old. It's just growing on me. They did a great job on it. I am pretty sure I will ultimately rank Fear Inoculum above 10,000 Days. It exceeded my expectations, which were pretty high.
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth House Guest View Post
Anyone know what the digital distortion on Pneuma is all about? It’s so obvious on the bass in the beginning that I’m guessing they liked the take and just said f**k it and left it. It’s also on other songs. Cool album, better than 10000 Days. Mostly because 10000 Days felt like an EP with a lot of filler. Rosetta Stoned and the Pot were awesome but the rest was meh.
I think they write and record all the music keeping in the back of their mind that Maynard’s gotta sing somewhere. This album feels like maybe they got a little carried away and didn’t leave him much room to work with. 7empest especially feels like Maynard is really squeezing in vocals awkwardly because like wtf was he supposed to do with that ya know?
Pneuma opens with guitar at the edge of breakup with delay. Bass enters around 1:20. Where are you hearing the distortion?
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Starting a 1:20 mark. I mean if you can’t hear that I don’t know what to tell ya. It’s on the Cd version, spotify, iTunes. It also shows up on 7empest, FI, and Descending but those aren’t nearly as obvious.
Yeesh. Ask a guy for an event's timestamp and he takes it as an opportunity to insinuate his hearing is bad. My hearing is above average for my age, thanks.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
My bad man. Didn’t mean it like that.
It's alright. I typically listen to music at pretty low levels. When I turned up at that point in the song, I heard some distortion from 1:22 to 1:32. It doesn't happen during transients so the ADC can be eliminated. My hunch is that the distortion is introduced in the analog realm; the preamp, amp or bass (Wals have an onboard active preamp.) Maybe it's a tube, dirty tube socket or connection point, dirty pot, or something like that. Vibration from the bass amp can exacerbate the problem. It is certainly plausible that it's introduced in a plugin or something but it sounds "electrical" to me.

Not sure if we'll ever know what caused it.
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone know what the digital distortion on Pneuma is all about? It’s so obvious on the bass in the beginning that I’m guessing they liked the take and just said f**k it and left it. It’s also on other songs. Cool album, better than 10000 Days. Mostly because 10000 Days felt like an EP with a lot of filler. Rosetta Stoned and the Pot were awesome but the rest was meh.
I think they write and record all the music keeping in the back of their mind that Maynard’s gotta sing somewhere. This album feels like maybe they got a little carried away and didn’t leave him much room to work with. 7empest especially feels like Maynard is really squeezing in vocals awkwardly because like wtf was he supposed to do with that ya know?
I don't think it's digital distortion. It's too microscopic to notice and does not interfere the song.
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Head

I'm not really getting the shade thrown on this album. Its gonna be the best album put out this year/decade. Maybe not their greatest, maybe rehashed a couple of riffs, gotta give them all two horns up
Old 9th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Mayo View Post
I'm not really getting the shade thrown on this album. Its gonna be the best album put out this year/decade. Maybe not their greatest, maybe rehashed a couple of riffs, gotta give them all two horns up
It’s been a pretty weak decade for music so you could be right. But DIIV put out 2 songs so far off their new album already better than anything on Fear Inoculum.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz View Post
‪being brutally honest here.
I just heard the track they released a few weeks ago and it’s the same chorus/delay guitar and bass with Maynard moaning over it, and Danny carrey trying to make sense of it all and keep it interesting. Then 4 minutes or so in, it turns into jam, with Maynard moaning a little differently and sometimes some wah on the guitar leads..‬ ‪I’ve listened to Undertow for about 27 years now. That’s the only album I dig and I listen to it all the time.
‪The rest of their **** is some kind of, hippie, spiritual science rock. Feels like Adam Jones is just playing the same **** over and over again for years and trying not to make it so obvious and boring.‬
I wish they’d have got Sylvia Massey back to produce what is very likely, their last album.
Hmmm I dunno man. Who are you to wave your finger? I think you must've been high
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Hmmm I dunno man. Who are you to wave your finger? I think you must've been high
I don't want to be hostile, don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah I feel about Tool the same way that I feel about Improv musicians - One has to embrace the courage to allow for lows if one wishes to ever hope for highs. I sneer at mediocrity and salute the risk takers, and though Tool, and damned near everything that Maynard touches, does have it's trite lows, he does fairly often knock the damned ball way over the fence. This new effort is growing on me.
Old 11th September 2019
Gear Head

Just listened to Invincible again, its a masterpiece in clean heaviness. AJ's guitar work at 8 minutes, I could listen to that all day.
And Joe Baressi's mix is top notch. Good use of space, and dynamics.
Old 12th September 2019
Here for the gear
Been listening to the record a lot. It is a grower, damn sure. Doesn’t really work as background music, it pretty much demands your full attention but it really rewards you for it. That’s one of the cool things about it, especially in this day and age.

I can see why many people would not like it as much, but for me personally, it really takes me on a trip that not many records can, I get sucked inside a musical vortex, lying down on the bed listening to this album. To me it’s the ’A Love Supreme’ of metal, I am not religious in any way but it definitely takes me on some spiritual journey sht when I allow myself to get immersed into it.

I am really, really enjoying this record. It is a different kind of heaviness, and I like it.

Kudos to the band and the whole crew for making a record that makes you actually feel something.

Having said that, I am still slightly on the fence regarding that snare sound.. The record sounds excellent, but on my headphones the snare sound is sometimes almost a little too much.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

I found this interesting and fun. It seems Fear Innoculum is doing very well

Old 18th September 2019
Here for the gear
The Lost in Vegas dudes seem genuine, and they break stuff down nicely. They also did Pneuma a few weeks later, and that one is one of the most entertaining reaction videos I’ve seen. I like how they are carefully picking up slight nuances and analyzing things through different perspectives, and at other times they just let loose and ride the wave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23__zILRgc
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Just going to weigh in here as a person that was a teenager in the 90's when Tool came around. Aenima is my top Tool album. Good mix of rocking and experimental stuff. I'm not really into the last couple albums they released in the 2000's. Fear Inoculum reminded me of those. Lots of empty space and not a whole lot of movement. It lacks power and emotion that the 90's albums have. Undertow wasn't as much "experimental" but it moved.

So after listening a couple times it's just bleh or meh. I'm pretty sure they can no longer capture what made Undertow so powerful and can't capture what made Aenima so experimental yet powerful. More or less their 2000+ error stuff is somewhat forgetful. There is some good stuff among the drab but it is few and far between.

Maybe it has something to do with age. losing that drive to really create an impact. You stay in the comfort zone. Or maybe you're just bored and your music reflects it. I'm not sure why any fans of 90's tool would like anything past that other than nostalgia.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymanx View Post
Just going to weigh in here as a person that was a teenager in the 90's when Tool came around. Aenima is my top Tool album. Good mix of rocking and experimental stuff. I'm not really into the last couple albums they released in the 2000's. Fear Inoculum reminded me of those. Lots of empty space and not a whole lot of movement. It lacks power and emotion that the 90's albums have. Undertow wasn't as much "experimental" but it moved.

So after listening a couple times it's just bleh or meh. I'm pretty sure they can no longer capture what made Undertow so powerful and can't capture what made Aenima so experimental yet powerful. More or less their 2000+ error stuff is somewhat forgetful. There is some good stuff among the drab but it is few and far between.

Maybe it has something to do with age. losing that drive to really create an impact. You stay in the comfort zone. Or maybe you're just bored and your music reflects it. I'm not sure why any fans of 90's tool would like anything past that other than nostalgia.
You and I are close in age. I am in my late 30s.

Personally, my favorite Tool albums are Lateralus and Ænima. I think Fear Inoculum is really good. Better than 10,000 Days, which TBH I have listened to many more times than Undertow and Opiate.

I also think Tool's post-Ænima work has emotion. It's just that that emotion isn't anger/confusion/whatever as it was on Tool's earliest works.

I don't know, I think Ænima, Lateralus, and Fear Inoculum are really where they were pushing the envelope, rather than some "forgetful tunes by a bored band." To each his own, but at least you have an explanation as to why people your age like the records post-Ænima. When Lateralus dropped, it sounded amazing and the writing and meters were really cool. The band's writing, technique and sound had improved leaps and bounds since their earliest records before Justin joined. But I say that as somebody who doesn't dwell in Metal and doesn't listen to a lot of really aggressive music. I can see how somebody who listens mostly to Metal might find the later Tool records dull or drawn out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigentone1 View Post

Personally, my favorite Tool albums are Lateralus and Ænima. I think Fear Inoculum is really good. Better than 10,000 Days, which TBH I have listened to many more times than Undertow and Opiate.

I also think Tool's post-Ænima work has emotion. It's just that that emotion isn't anger/confusion/whatever as it was on Tool's earliest works.

I don't know, I think Ænima, Lateralus, and Fear Inoculum are really where they were pushing the envelope, rather than some "forgetful tunes by a bored band." To each his own, but at least you have an explanation as to why people your age like the records post-Ænima. When Lateralus dropped, it sounded amazing and the writing and meters were really cool. The band's writing, technique and sound had improved leaps and bounds since their earliest records before Justin joined. But I say that as somebody who doesn't dwell in Metal and doesn't listen to a lot of really aggressive music. I can see how somebody who listens mostly to Metal might find the later Tool records dull or drawn out.
We're on the same page here. I find Undertow has a couple of classics, but a slight bit... Generic? Did I really just say that about a Tool record?

I was teaching Guitar full time around 10,000 Days coming out and it did bring them a lot of new young fans to my eyes, which helped me warm to that record a bit, but otherwise I didn't quite dig it as much as I hoped at the time.

This time around I was really not feeling all the near-militant Fandom and endless press hype... I fully expected to skip FI completely, but to my surprise I really dig it just for what it's worth to me and my tastes at this point in life.

Aenema, Lateralus, Fear Inoculum... Those are the holy figurehead for me. I'm not a metal guy though...

Says so much about the band that they can have such a huge following, when everybody seems to hear their music so differently from each other.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've been a tool fan since I heard Stink Fist on Head Bangers Ball back when I was 14 in 1996. Justin Chancellor is the reason I learned to play bass!

I think FI is a great album, album of the year for me in fact.

I just really like the subject matter of this album and to me it sounds fantastic.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigentone1 View Post

So I just listened to Lateralus since it has been awhile for me. It's pretty good. Still not as powerful as Aenima but it has some power. It's a lot better than I remember it. It did come out when I was listening to heavier stuff for the most part and I was playing in a death metal band hahaha so I may have not given it much of a chance.

I haven't listed to 10,000 days since it came out but I remember just not getting into it at all. By that time I was playing in more hard rock style bands. I remember that one having more quiet space than Lateralus even though.

I still think has Fear Inoculum drags its parts out too long for what it is. It isn't necessarily bad but they seem to just go off on jam tangents too much.

I'd recommend revisiting Undertow. There is a lot of power on that album although less "experimental" style. That tune with Henry Rollins talking during a drop down part is freaking awesome and moves into a huge part after. It's a more simple album but it really is a classic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Replying on the fly, for us old guys this is a refreshing album. While it is definitely Tool and their sound, I hear little tributes to many of my favorite bands I’ve listened to over the years. They ****ing nailed it as far as I’m concerned from a musicians standpoint. I’m a drummer so go figure. They’re also defying conventional wisdom by not only releasing an entire album but with 13 min songs. Invincible is my favorite so far. As for the Sonics, I have JBL L80t’s in my living room and Yamaha NS500m’s as mains in my control room. It translates beautifully on both. I can’t say that about many albums.

Brav-****ing-O says this guy.

Thank you Toole.

Last edited by Brian M. Boykin; 2 weeks ago at 04:45 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m not as connected to what other engineers are doing as I should be. That’s a great video. When he went through his professional past and places he’s worked and bits he’s picked up over the years it brings a better understanding of what I’m hearing in this album. Even in my limited microcosm of recording and my very limited experience level, I can relate to a lot of the same struggles he has. Especially the mixing aspect. Sometimes the music is playing and I’m checked out scrolling on my phone. But that’s usually when the little things that are amiss reveal themselves. Thanks for posting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There is definitely digital clipping on Fear Inoculum. There is no doubt there is. However, besides that, it sounds very good.

Also, it sounds much better than 10,000 Days, partly because that one clips much, much worse. There is a constant crud all over that album that I find offputting enough that I don't listen to it much.

Apparently they're remastering the albums soon. I hope they do it more conservatively.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Not sure how great some of your listening rooms are, but in my control/mix room which is an RFZ room, when I play Chocolate Chip Trip when the effects at the beginning start paining from left to right and back left again it starts to sound like the music is coming from behind you and even sounds like it’s swirling. Maybe the reason for the name of the solo. Idk. Anyone else here this psychoacoustic phenomenon in their rooms?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search