The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Fear Inoculum
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymanx View Post
So I just listened to Lateralus since it has been awhile for me. It's pretty good. Still not as powerful as Aenima but it has some power. It's a lot better than I remember it. It did come out when I was listening to heavier stuff for the most part and I was playing in a death metal band hahaha so I may have not given it much of a chance.

I haven't listed to 10,000 days since it came out but I remember just not getting into it at all. By that time I was playing in more hard rock style bands. I remember that one having more quiet space than Lateralus even though.

I still think has Fear Inoculum drags its parts out too long for what it is. It isn't necessarily bad but they seem to just go off on jam tangents too much.

I'd recommend revisiting Undertow. There is a lot of power on that album although less "experimental" style. That tune with Henry Rollins talking during a drop down part is freaking awesome and moves into a huge part after. It's a more simple album but it really is a classic.
Oh yeah, I listen to them all at least once per year. I was just saying that the records since Justin joined are the ones which draw me in the most and have the most depth and I wind up listening to them more frequently.

If Tool had broken up before Ænima… I really don't think Tool would have been anywhere near as highly regarded as they have become. Likely one of those cult bands, which after a decade mostly musicians listen to, like Failure or Jane's Addiction were (before their comebacks.)

It was really Ænima and Lateralus, for me, which puts them in the league of top heavy bands of all time. Still, Opiate and Undertow are cool from time to time. I'm still feeling that Fear Inoculum is better than 10,000 Days. It may go down as my favorite record of 2019.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Sidenote / cool little easter egg:
On the title track Fear Inoculum, the word ”mitosis” is sang at precisely the halfway point of the song.

Mitosis: a process where a single cell divides into two identical daughter cells.

I really like this kind of attention to detail.
Old 1 week ago
din
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymanx View Post
Just going to weigh in here as a person that was a teenager in the 90's when Tool came around. Aenima is my top Tool album. Good mix of rocking and experimental stuff. I'm not really into the last couple albums they released in the 2000's. Fear Inoculum reminded me of those. Lots of empty space and not a whole lot of movement. It lacks power and emotion that the 90's albums have. Undertow wasn't as much "experimental" but it moved.

So after listening a couple times it's just bleh or meh. I'm pretty sure they can no longer capture what made Undertow so powerful and can't capture what made Aenima so experimental yet powerful. More or less their 2000+ error stuff is somewhat forgetful. There is some good stuff among the drab but it is few and far between.

Maybe it has something to do with age. losing that drive to really create an impact. You stay in the comfort zone. Or maybe you're just bored and your music reflects it. I'm not sure why any fans of 90's tool would like anything past that other than nostalgia.
My sentiments exactly! Their later stuff is a lot of sonic naval gazing with some cool riffs sprinkled throughout. It lacks any emotional impact. I don't care what fancy time signature you're playing in, if it's boring. Aenima is probably my favorite heavy rock album of all time. It's a perfect balance of raw power and simmering sinister psychedelia. I also prefer the sounds they got with David Botrill.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by din View Post
Their later stuff is a lot of sonic naval gazing with some cool riffs sprinkled throughout. It lacks any emotional impact.

It’s cool that you don’t like it, but in the end stuff like this is all fairly subjective. Personally, I was surprised at how emotionally I’ve become attached to the new album. I went in with not too many expectations, and found myself listening to it a lot. Like, basically daily. And multiple times a day. In a sense to me this album feels more personal and intimate than any of their previous albums. I don’t know why, but this album resonates with me on a level that not too many albums have done.

To someone else, this album is a boring collection of a couple of cool riffs and too many over-extended song ideas. To me, it is a beautifully written album touching on the subject of the passing of time and change and human emotions, painted over these huge, ever evolving sonic landscapes that are both familiar yet slightly intimidating at the same time.

And most likely I am interpreting the songs in a totally different way than the next person, but hey - that’s what makes music beautiful.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I’m still not feeling this, at all. In fact I think it gets worse with every listen.

I was massively anticipating the release, although I shouldn’t have, having been disappointed with 10,000 days. All the albums before that were solid 10s. 10,000 days had a couple of good songs but the rest just felt like filler.

The first time I listened to FI I enjoyed it, mainly because it was the new Tool. However when it ended I couldn’t think of one memorable moment or song. So I played it again and the first time I looked at what I was listening to was 7empest. Great track I thought. The next listen though it played straight through without me even thinking about it.

Since then I’ve listened maybe 20 times to try and find something; a way to enjoy it. I’m left flag every time unfortunately.

If it was Jo off the street releasing this it would be a 5/10. The fact it’s Tool 2/10
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushy Mushy View Post
I’m still not feeling this, at all. In fact I think it gets worse with every listen.

I was massively anticipating the release, although I shouldn’t have, having been disappointed with 10,000 days. All the albums before that were solid 10s. 10,000 days had a couple of good songs but the rest just felt like filler.

The first time I listened to FI I enjoyed it, mainly because it was the new Tool. However when it ended I couldn’t think of one memorable moment or song. So I played it again and the first time I looked at what I was listening to was 7empest. Great track I thought. The next listen though it played straight through without me even thinking about it.

Since then I’ve listened maybe 20 times to try and find something; a way to enjoy it. I’m left flag every time unfortunately.

If it was Jo off the street releasing this it would be a 5/10. The fact it’s Tool 2/10
I'm not sure who Jo off the street is, although I'm sure he's badass. I think there's some good songs on the album, Tempest is not one of them.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Rough crowd. I like the album a lot and I graduated high school in 92. When it’s on in the car I’m hoping to hit red lights so I can keep listening.
Old 6 days ago
I really like this album. Been listening to it a lot since its release. My only gripe is "Chocolate Chip Trip." Wish they would have left that one off. I feel bad skipping it but it does nothing for me.

Otherwise, production is fantastic. Mastering isn't bad (unlike 10K Days.) My favorite song changes each week, but right now it's "Invincible."

Laterauls is still my fav, followed by Aenima. FI and 10K are tied for third.

Can't wait to see these guys in Atlantic City next month!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

People who "got" Lateralus like Fear Inoculum.

People who prefer Undertow or Aenima tend not to.

And I do mean "get it", because you need to get into the mindset of the tracks to do so. If not, they're just a collection of riffs. But they're really not, they are emotional journeys. There's nothing wrong with the album (and Lateralus) not being for you, but the depth is there.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post
I really like this album. Been listening to it a lot since its release. My only gripe is "Chocolate Chip Trip." Wish they would have left that one off. I feel bad skipping it but it does nothing for me.

Otherwise, production is fantastic. Mastering isn't bad (unlike 10K Days.) My favorite song changes each week, but right now it's "Invincible."

Laterauls is still my fav, followed by Aenima. FI and 10K are tied for third.

Can't wait to see these guys in Atlantic City next month!
Chocolate Chip Trip is for us drummers. Have you noticed the OH and panning are from the drummers perspective. Toms pan small from left to big to right. Like sitting on the thrown. It’s a drum solo in the tradition of Neil Pert and is an amazing solo with some trippy effects that in a good listening room sound like they’re behind you at times. Almost swirling around your head. I put my wife in the sweet spot of my room and she looked over her shoulder several times in disbelief of how sound was coming from behind her. She was blown away. If you don’t like drum solos I get it. I’m not knocking your opinion, just trying to explain why it’s on the album. He’s pretty much the greatest drummer in the world right now. At least, that’s my opinion.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack View Post
People who "got" Lateralus like Fear Inoculum.

People who prefer Undertow or Aenima tend not to.

And I do mean "get it", because you need to get into the mindset of the tracks to do so. If not, they're just a collection of riffs. But they're really not, they are emotional journeys. There's nothing wrong with the album (and Lateralus) not being for you, but the depth is there.
You might be onto something. I don't care much for their pre-Aenima output other than "Sober," and I regard Laterauls as a masterpiece.

I think what is holding people back are their (unrealistic) expectations. When I first heard 10,000 Days I did not care for it beyond "Vicarious." I think I was expecting another Lateralus. It wasn't until May of this year actually that I listened to it again out of the blue and fell in love with it. Accepted on its own terms, it's a fantastic album that's just as deep as anything they've done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. Boykin View Post
Chocolate Chip Trip is for us drummers. Have you noticed the OH and panning are from the drummers perspective. Toms pan small from left to big to right. Like sitting on the thrown. It’s a drum solo in the tradition of Neil Pert and is an amazing solo with some trippy effects that in a good listening room sound like they’re behind you at times. Almost swirling around your head. I put my wife in the sweet spot of my room and she looked over her shoulder several times in disbelief of how sound was coming from behind her. She was blown away. If you don’t like drum solos I get it. I’m not knocking your opinion, just trying to explain why it’s on the album. He’s pretty much the greatest drummer in the world right now. At least, that’s my opinion.
I hear ya man. Haven't noticed the panning yet (waiting on the vinyl release to really dig into this album through headphones.)

I'm glad your wife can listen to Tool or anything and not roll her eyes like mine does.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkov86 View Post
You might be onto something. I don't care much for their pre-Aenima output other than "Sober," and I regard Laterauls as a masterpiece.

I think what is holding people back are their (unrealistic) expectations. When I first heard 10,000 Days I did not care for it beyond "Vicarious." I think I was expecting another Lateralus. It wasn't until May of this year actually that I listened to it again out of the blue and fell in love with it. Accepted on its own terms, it's a fantastic album that's just as deep as anything they've done.

I hear ya man. Haven't noticed the panning yet (waiting on the vinyl release to really dig into this album through headphones.)

I'm glad your wife can listen to Tool or anything and not roll her eyes like mine does.
My wife bought and paid for the tickets to the first Tool concert I ever went to. Tools her favorite band. Undertow and Aenima are her favorite albums. She likes Fear Inoculum, but like others have said, it doesn’t have the same effect as those two albums have on her. I get it though, Metallica will never top Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets, or Justice for All. I would think these super bands understand this. What’s interesting is, so much time passed for this album to come out that a new generation of teenagers is discovering Tool that’s never heard of them. I was surprised to find out Aerosmith had played Woodstock when I first heard their music in the 80’s. I thought they were a new band. Little did I know.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Chocolat Chip Trip isn't any sillier than most interludes in Aenima or Lateralus. After Matt Gartska honestly no drum solos impress me but it's fun in the sort of trashy way that "Message to Harry Manback" or "Cesaro Summability" was.

I honestly would do away with all the interludes, but it somewhat amuses me that they're there, in a sort of early '90s American comedy way. Keeps the albums from feeling too self-important.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search