The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Dispute: Please help
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Dispute: Please help

I bought a guitar on ebay recently, thinking it was a two color guitar, white and wood. Only when it arrived did I find out, that that the guitar has a yellow binding. I don't care for yellow and especially not this type of screaming yellow, so I'm not at all happy about it.

My question is, since it, for me anyway, on my screen, is so hard to see the yellow, was I misinformed by the the seller, and do I therefore have a case against him? On the auction there was no description of it almost. And nothing about color.

Here's the auction. I think it's extremely easy to miss that yellow binding

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173397166763?ul_noapp=true
Old 26th August 2019
It is a bad picture - but all the Ibanez rg652 series have binding - have you contacted the seller they might be ok with you returning it without opening an official case.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Maniac
I have contacted him and he thinks he's handled everything "perfectly" and will not accept a return
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

It is odd that the seller only used one stock photo (as far as I see), at least for my own buying practices I would have looked for other photos before committing to a purchase...either ask the seller or just simple google pulled up many more detailed photos and pages...you’re telling me you didn’t look at the Ibanez website or Sweetwater page or whatever, this is the only photo and product description you saw?

I work as a graphic designer by day where color representation from one device to another to a physical product is definitely an issue to be aware of...from my device the one photo provided by the seller the yellow binding is visible...it doesn’t look screaming to me (I would reserve that for 80s fluorescents maybe) but it is there. If your brightness is cranked up colors would not be accurate.

I don’t really think the seller did anything wrong...sure, the listing is very vague but it’s not their fault you don’t like the binding which is standard on this model guitar?

But if you disagree, you can always open a dispute with eBay and let them mediate, see how it all lands. Ultimately that’s the only opinion that matters in a dispute. eBay also has a phone number you can call and talk to a live person.

If I were the seller, a return at your shipping expense and less a restocking fee would be fair.

Last edited by kslight; 26th August 2019 at 05:02 PM..
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Maniac
I have offered the seller to pay for the shipping back and still he refuses to accept a return. I didn't offer to pay for the ebay fee to put it back up, because I didn't think about it, but I'm willing to pay for that too.

As far as looking at other pictures I went to Ibanez' website but I failed to notice the yellow binding there too, see if you can spot it here, I think its impossible almost:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...652ahm_02.html

So you think I should open a dispute?
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz67 View Post
I have offered the seller to pay for the shipping back and still he refuses to accept a return. I didn't offer to pay for the ebay fee to put it back up, because I didn't think about it, but I'm willing to pay for that too.

As far as looking at other pictures I went to Ibanez' website but I failed to notice the yellow binding there too, see if you can spot it here, I think its impossible almost:

https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/...652ahm_02.html

So you think I should open a dispute?
Well I meant a restocking fee, not the eBay fee (that’ll be refunded anyway). Because you bought something new which now is less than new, and returning for reason other than defect...presumedly the seller would have to take some loss. Many dealers choose to accept returns for any reason at a 15% fee...that’s the only way to be able to buy things online sight unseen.

I see the binding right away on my end, but I’m definitely biased.

I don’t agree with attempting a return, however it’s within your rights to open a dispute and see what eBay says if that’s what you want. They will either agree with you, or not...I can’t guess which way they’ll lean but there’s no penalty for trying...just be prepared to make a compelling argument.

If you bought from a dealer like guitar center that normally processes returns I wouldn’t see a big problem in returning it, but if you bought from an individual I hesitate ethically unless it was damaged/etc.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Maniac
thanks, but the big question is: Do I have a compelling argument? I guess not
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you were the seller how would you feel about handling this, I guess?

You can always call that eBay hotline and see where they draw the line. I’ve called it before, when I’ve been a seller and had suspicious buyer behavior. Had a guy buy a rare guitar after wanting new photos taken, only to change his mind hours later due to “car trouble” and requested a cancellation. No sooner did I honor his cancellation did he demand his money back immediately (which is in PayPal and his bank’s hands, I processed the refund but it takes 2-3 days to hit the bank). After explaining that twice, he decided he wanted the guitar after all. Then no he doesn’t. Then yes he does. called eBay and said look, it’s a rare old guitar, irreplaceable if this guy does something stupid I’m out, I’m not comfortable shipping him this guitar. They agreed with me, saw his request to cancel, said I was not obligated to ship it to him. So I explained that all to the guy that it is cancelled and that was final.
Point is it’s helpful to have a two way conversation.
Old 26th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Just had a chat with ebay, and they immediately said that the guitar is covered under the Ebay Money Guarantee and the guy opened the return case himself.

So thanks a lot kslight for pointing me in that direction, much appreciated.
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Well, I for one would not spend $1500 on something unless I knew as much about what I am purchasing as possible... lots of research goes into something like that. You didn't research the guitar before you bought it? Looked at pictures, read reviews, maybe went to a local store to check one out (sometimes not always a possibility I know.)
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Maniac
No I just bought it, hoping for the best. Of course I researched it, but when the yellow color isnt' even visible on the big picture on the Ibanez website, it's a little hard.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Addict

I'd say if you bought because it's a piece of display art -then you might think you have a compelling case, If you bought it because it's a guitar - then I'd hope it plays up to specification.
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. All those models of guitar have the binding. If you were looking at any of them before you would have had to be aware of it.

You are disputing a auction because you just don't like the idea. - Unless he had returns authorized you can't return it.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papanate View Post
No. All those models of guitar have the binding. If you were looking at any of them before you would have had to be aware of it.

You are disputing a auction because you just don't like the idea. - Unless he had returns authorized you can't return it.
banez.com/usa/products/detail/rg652ahm_02.html

no yellow bnding in sight.
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're kidding, right?
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Not at all. And the people I show it to say the same thing. I say, look at this guitar for ten seconds. Then I remove the photos of the guitar and tell them to describe it. To all the yellow comes as a total surprise.

Ok that's it. My last comment, cause I'm starting to have to repeat myself because a guy like the guy above does not read what I previously said

bye.
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok that's it. My last comment, cause I'm starting to have to repeat myself because a guy like the guy above does not read what I previously said

bye.
Quote:
Well if you’re gonna be that way. : )

Oh I read your stuff alright.

You post a dead link (above) and say “no yellow binding in sight”?

How about “no guitar in sight”?

The one picture provided advertising your guitar very clearly shows the binding you apparently have.

How is it that we are supposed to ‘help you” , unless someone here works for EBay or something? Do you want a bunch of us to march over to the sellers house and get heavy with him?

How is this sales / legal dispute a topic?
Old 2nd September 2019
Why are you bothering us with this crap?

Either you have a claim or you don't.

If ir was up to me it would be there latter but it ain't up to me - or anybody else here.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

There is clearly yellow binding on the guitar in that ebay pic.

Next time, google the item you want to buy if there is only one pic and virtually no descript.

Cheers.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Well if you’re gonna be that way. : )

You post a dead link (above) and say “no yellow binding in sight”?

How about “no guitar in sight”?
LOL - how did the guitar sound BTW? How was its playability? That yellow binding wears off in a heartbeat when you're actively touring...beautiful guitar.

Refunds are pretty easy on Ebay as they will generally side with the buyer on disputes. There are countless threads online of sellers not getting their money after buyers claim the item never arrived. Money was not even transferred after signed registers mail receipts were provided. Ebay it a tough bracket for sellers nowadays. Better luck next time...for you and the seller.
Old 6th September 2019
Lives for gear

To the OP you really should only be buying guitars in a shop and NOT online.
FWIW the yellow is very clear to me on the ebay pics and on the ibenez website.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Head

I can plainly see the ivory binding in the Ebay picture, and on the Ibanez web site picture - although it's easier to see in the Ebay picture.
Old 8th September 2019
Gear Head

My eyesight is bad. I am viewing on an iPad. The listing is closed so I can only see the thumbnail. That guitar has a tan back, yellow binding, and white top.
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Ah! The joys of buying online. Some good times, some not so much. Oh well...
Old 12th September 2019
You do realize that "Ivory" (aka "ivoroid") is usually the standard color for light colored binding and that the final clear coat of finish will usually cause the binding to yellow a bit, right? And as the guitar ages the color gets darker?

And that to many people, myself included, a dead white binding looks a bit cheap?

From what I can see on the Ibanez site you have no choice of binding color, so if you really want that model guitar you'll have to learn to live with it or pay a luthier a chunk of cash to replace the binding.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search