The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
How about those Partscaster Strats?
Old 26th August 2019
Lives for gear

How about those Partscaster Strats?

So here is a thread for people to post pics and information about partscaster Strats. It seems to me that there are a ton of options for these things and I am very interested in learning more about them. I may actually go for one, since everything Strat I am liking that Fender makes is so pricey, and I'm also hearing from some members that their partscasters are better anyway.

Comparisons between Fender Strats and Partscaster Strats are also welcome.

I don't mean to exclude Tele style guitars [or anything else, really], so post whatever you want to, but I am kind of more interested in the Strat-style guitars at the moment.

Thanks.

Best always,

audioforce
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
So, what about them?

Don't we have enough threads about partscasters of all types?

Why do we need another?
Never enough. This is the only AFFORDABLE way to experiment and get a real customshop instrument at a fraction of a cost of FCustomshop
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Never enough. This is the only AFFORDABLE way to experiment and get a real customshop instrument at a fraction of a cost of FCustomshop
The prices on the custom shop stuff are just nuts now. When I bought my custom shop guitars they were a fraction of that. And the guitars are amazing. Not saying the new stuff isn't good, but the pricing is obscene, imo.
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
The prices on the custom shop stuff are just nuts now. When I bought my custom shop guitars they were a fraction of that. And the guitars are amazing. Not saying the new stuff isn't good, but the pricing is obscene, imo.
Tell me about it. Here in Aus you take your prices and double them. Its a joke. I used to buy in the US but $US is too high. I think its hurting US exports but what do i know
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tell me about it. Here in Aus you take your prices and double them. Its a joke. I used to buy in the US but $US is too high. I think its hurting US exports but what do i know
They have some nice guitars, I think, but I'm wondering who is buying them. I would like that 2019 '57 Strat reissue, but I'm trying to relocate my studio up, and I just can't see spending that kind of money on a guitar, as much as I do like guitars.

I just remember that I actually already own a parts-guitar. I have a fretless Jazz Bass type, with Bartolini pickups in it. Maybe I have a pic somewhere, or I'll take one. Nothing special to look at, but it plays and sounds great. I got it used, for hardly any money, back in the 90's.

So I guess I'm already in. : )
Old 27th August 2019
Gear Maniac

I have built a number of them over the years, don't currently own any, but have plans to build 4 of them in the near future. 2 of the 4 are simple neck swaps, on a Mexican tele and a really nice American Select Strat that has a flame maple top. (I really like how the strat looks and sounds, but the neck is maple with a sticky gloss finish that I absolutely hate. It will be getting a Warmoth roasted maple neck with no finish)

The other two are more complete builds, I have a set of pickups and preamp from a 1983 Elite strat, and will build a guitar around a set of pickups! (I know, totally backwards from what most people would do..) The other one will be a baritone 28 5/8 scale 6 string. I would like a Music Man Silhouette, but those are horribly expensive, so I am going to build one instead at a lower cost.

I only use Warmoth necks, they are great.

There is only one really significant downside to building these, and it can be huge. You can get anything you want, neck radius, neck profile, fret sizes, scale, etc, and just like buying a guitar without trying it out, you really don't know how it will play or sound until you are done. Could be really good, just meh, or could be really bad.
Old 27th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post

There is only one really significant downside to building these, and it can be huge. You can get anything you want, neck radius, neck profile, fret sizes, scale, etc, and just like buying a guitar without trying it out, you really don't know how it will play or sound until you are done. Could be really good, just meh, or could be really bad.
My favorite Strat neck is a Warmoth also, and while it's true that choosing the features is a big process, its a process where you choose your dream specs.

A lot of guitarists have already played many different guitars and have developed a mental list of what they like and what they don't like. Take any CS signature model; maybe the CS Gilmour. Its a nice guitar of course, but maybe the C shape doesn't work for you. And maybe you prefer jumbo frets or a wider nut width. Ordering a neck with your specs should be an intuitive process for most guitarists and you end up with a neck that you'll never want to get rid of.

Add to that the opportunity to choose your favorite Strat pickups, throw in the type of bridge you prefer, your favorite tuners. It's a no-brainer that you're going to end up with a much higher quality guitar for less than half the price and BTW it's your dream Strat.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffw5555 View Post
I It will be getting a Warmoth roasted maple neck with no finish)
What's their story with the roasted maple? Are they saying it sounds different, or just more stable, or what?

Quote:
I would like a Music Man Silhouette, but those are horribly expensive, so I am going to build one instead at a lower cost.
How are you able to get the parts for a Silhouette? I hear those are great guitars too, btw.

Quote:
How about those Musikraft ones?

Quote:
That's a potentially important point. Thanks for bringing it up.

Best,

audioforce
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Didn't you say you have a list of quality suppliers for parts for these things? If you do, go ahead and post it when you have time.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's their story with the roasted maple? Are they saying it sounds different, or just more stable, or what?

How are you able to get the parts for a Silhouette? I hear those are great guitars too, btw.

How about those Musikraft ones?

That's a potentially important point. Thanks for bringing it up.

Best,

audioforce
Musikraft makes the best necks in the business. Nice rolled edges, fantastic fretwork. I have tried every company out there and they are a cut above. I understand Fender used their necks in their top customshop models. The make roasted maple necks, I have 2 guitars with those. They maybe more stable, its only been 4 years, we will see. They feel different, dont know about the sound, but they will probably resonate better.
Warmoth I had mixed results with, some good some unusable (truss rod issues)
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Addict

I built a Warmoth strat and wrote a blog about it.
It has a swamp ash/maple body and wenge/ebony/bloodwood neck with stainless steel frets. I chose an HSS pickup arrangement, and all positions are hum-cancelling.
Old 28th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Musikraft makes the best necks in the business.
Musikraft doesn't seem to offer any choices for neck profile. Am I missing something?
Old 28th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Musikraft doesn't seem to offer any choices for neck profile. Am I missing something?
" Back Profile Guitar 6 String "
https://musikraft.com/cmspage.php?page_id=33

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
There are quite a few. Go through the custom build process. Most guys in the studio dont mind the slim c. Its like those 80s strats.
I like the big C or the boat-something (I am silly like that)
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are quite a few. Go through the custom build process. Most guys in the studio dont mind the slim c. Its like those 80s strats.
I like the big C or the boat-something (I am silly like that)
What do the numbers next to the shape mean? I want a super thin v shape.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
What do the numbers next to the shape mean?
click on the .pdf link .. ( on that page in prev. post )
when the pdf displays .. zoom the view to maximum ..
there are small measurements on the side of each shape ..
those appear to be the 'numbers'
' 57V 86-96 ' might be the one your after
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

after perusing that site .. i really do fancy a pinewood body ..
and a 57V 86-96 neck ..
am wondering which profile be the old 'broomstick handle' type neck found on some older tele's ( a 'U' shape job maybe ? )
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
click on the .pdf link .. ( on that page in prev. post )
when the pdf displays .. zoom the view to maximum ..
there are small measurements on the side of each shape ..
those appear to be the 'numbers'
' 57V 86-96 ' might be the one your after
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

after perusing that site .. i really do fancy a pinewood body ..
and a 57V 86-96 neck ..
am wondering which profile be the old 'broomstick handle' type neck found on some older tele's ( a 'U' shape job maybe ? )
Thanks, man. I'm looking for a V-shape neck, but thinner than that one.. I'm pretty sure the one I had was in the .700s, but I don't have the exact measurements and can't seem to find anyone with a guitar like the one I had to measure. They's make whatever you ask for, I think, but I would like to not be guessing at what I ask for. : )

I may need to stop obsessing on duplicating the one I had, and just order a really thin V and play it.
Old 29th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm looking for a V-shape neck, but thinner than that one
give them a phone call .. and discuss what your looking for with them
( just an idea )
they certainly seem to offer many more options than some other web-sites
i.e for neck shapes ..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i've always hankered after that '63 strat i had as a teen ( bought second-hand for $150 aus. in '68 )
body weight and neck shape ..
but then again .. might be a case of rose-tinted glasses .. as it were 51 years ago .. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 29th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do the numbers next to the shape mean? I want a super thin v shape.
Have a look at te picks below the blurb at the bottom of the page
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

As promised some pics of some of my parts-casters

1. MJT 1-piece Ash body, Bosco (Allparts), 1-piece maple neck, fender Custom-Shop HW, Klein '57 pickups
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153249.jpg  
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

2. MJT 1-piece Ash body, Transluscent white (Mary Kay), Vintage 1961 Fender neck, Callaham trem, Kluson 1-line tuners, Sheptone pickups. Guittar weighs 6.1Lb
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153325.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153318.jpg  
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
As promised some pics of some of my parts-casters

1. MJT 1-piece Ash body, Bosco (Allparts), 1-piece maple neck, fender Custom-Shop HW, Klein '57 pickups
Don't understand what "Bosco" is. Also, who made the neck?

Best,

audioforce
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

3. 1-piece Musikraft Ash body, 2-tone nitro sunburst by my luthier, Musikraft Maple neck (nitro), 1-lne Kluson tuners, Fender Custo-Shop trem, Don Mare pickups. Guitar weighs 6.1Lb
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153414.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153410.jpg  
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

4. 1-piece Musikraft Ash body, Mary Kay nitro finish, Musikraft '59 neck nitro finished and relic'd by my luthier, Callaham trem, Klein '62 pickups, Blender wiring, Kluson 1-line tuners. Weight 6.3Lb
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_154005.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153955.jpg  
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

5. MJT 1-piece Alder body (nitro vintage white), Musikraft neck (nitro by my luthier), no-line Kluson tuners, Amalfitano pickups. Weight 6.1Lb
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153934.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153929.jpg  
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't understand what "Bosco" is. Also, who made the neck?

Best,

audioforce
Hosco (not Bosco)is a japanese company which sells Allparts necks under its own brand. Excellent necks
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

6. Gilmour" Strat. 1 piece MJT Alder body, Musikraft maple neck (med-C), Fender Customshop trem, David Allen "Echoes" pickups (Bridge has 2 settings on a push-pullfor different gilmour era's), 1-line Kluson tuners. Weight ~6.3-6.4Lb
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153735.jpg  
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

7. 2-piece MJT Alder body, Musikraft roasted maple neck , all nitro. Klein "John Meyer" pickups, Callaham trem, Kluson 2-line tuners. Weight ~6.7Lb
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_154033.jpg  
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

tumeni gtrz : )
Old 30th August 2019
Lives for gear

Some tele's
T1: Musikraft Ash body & maple neck, nitro finish by my luthier. Don Mare pickups, fender bridge with Glendale saddles. Weight ~6Lb
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153555.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153552_001.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20190830_153549.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search