The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
How about those Partscaster Strats?
Old 10th September 2019
  #91
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
No doubt.

Whatever happened to good ole' Alder being the chicken of guitar woods??

;~)
Old 10th September 2019
  #92
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
No doubt.

Whatever happened to good ole' Alder being the chicken of guitar woods??

;~)
Its in demand. Bugger the qualities :-)
Old 10th September 2019
  #93
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

This conversation is bewildering as far as how much trouble it seems to be to get all the stuff located and lined up for the build.

Isn't it better to just call them and tell them what you want? Will they do that?



Best,

audioforce
Old 10th September 2019
  #94
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
This conversation is bewildering as far as how much trouble it seems to be to get all the stuff located and lined up for the build.

Isn't it better to just call them and tell them what you want? Will they do that?



Best,

audioforce

They will try. That's what I did with USCG and I think I expressed the results clearly enough. No 1-piece light Alder available. Warmoth - no 1-piece lightweight Alder available. Everyone else I tried was either backordered for 1-piece lightweight Alder or it was not an option - especially of the roasted variety. Warmoth at least accommodated my requirements via a phone call to explain what I was looking for.

MJT does not offer roasted Alder, contoured neck heel, or the specific rout options I required such as the electrostatic side rout for the jack and I'm not interested in a finish. Especially paying for a screwed up finish.

So the answer is yes - if they can.
Old 11th September 2019
  #95
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
This conversation is bewildering as far as how much trouble it seems to be to get all the stuff located and lined up for the build.

Isn't it better to just call them and tell them what you want? Will they do that?



Best,

audioforce
That's what I recommend
Old 11th September 2019
  #96
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
They will try. That's what I did with USCG and I think I expressed the results clearly enough. No 1-piece light Alder available. Warmoth - no 1-piece lightweight Alder available. Everyone else I tried was either backordered for 1-piece lightweight Alder or it was not an option - especially of the roasted variety. Warmoth at least accommodated my requirements via a phone call to explain what I was looking for.

MJT does not offer roasted Alder, contoured neck heel, or the specific rout options I required such as the electrostatic side rout for the jack and I'm not interested in a finish. Especially paying for a screwed up finish.

So the answer is yes - if they can.
No, they will only supply what Wildwood offers. They dont do woodwork, but you can get a wildwood quality body from them with a nice nitro paint-job.
All those extras - Musikraft or Warmoth. Not sure if they will offer you a specific weight though
Old 11th September 2019
  #97
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
No, they will only supply what Wildwood offers. They dont do woodwork, but you can get a wildwood quality body from them with a nice nitro paint-job.
All those extras - Musikraft or Warmoth. Not sure if they will offer you a specific weight though
Warmoth totally hooked me up.

2-piece extra light roasted Alder with side mount electrostatic jack, contoured heel, and semi-recessed gotoh/wilkinson trem rout.

It was a $40.00 upgrade via phone call to hook me up on the weight.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 12th September 2019
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Warmoth totally hooked me up.

2-piece extra light roasted Alder with side mount electrostatic jack, contoured heel, and semi-recessed gotoh/wilkinson trem rout.

It was a $40.00 upgrade via phone call to hook me up on the weight.

Cheers,
Brock
Sounds cool What the doctor( -Brock) ordered
Zero resale value, but is what you wanted.
Old 15th September 2019
  #99
Gear Addict
 
chipss36's Avatar
 

I still need a great Telly, I have owned many just not the “one” I have toyed with the idea of getting the parts to build one.
But have learned over the years, it is very important to play and listen to a guitar more than anything, putting one together I cannot do that.
But I sure would like a Telly with a 12” radius and a fat srv style neck!
Old 15th September 2019
  #100
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
I still need a great Telly, I have owned many just not the “one” I have toyed with the idea of getting the parts to build one.
But have learned over the years, it is very important to play and listen to a guitar more than anything, putting one together I cannot do that.
But I sure would like a Telly with a 12” radius and a fat srv style neck!
I have a "parts-caster just like that :-). I piece 3.4lb , 1-piece body. Nitro. Very thick rosewood FB neck. Callaham hardware, Amalfitano pickups. This is the guitar I'll take to my grave. Very affordable at the same time.
Will take some pics at the studio tomorrow. I prices the sme from fender custom-shop ,price was 7.5k$AU at the time
Old 4 weeks ago
  #101
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
2. MJT 1-piece Ash body, Transluscent white (Mary Kay), Vintage 1961 Fender neck, Callaham trem, Kluson 1-line tuners, Sheptone pickups. Guittar weighs 6.1Lb
Holy moley, what a beauty!!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #102
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Received the body from Warmoth today and it is absolutely killer roasted Alder. 3lb 7oz of joy and is now about to start receiving an oil finish.
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-3ee78a90-f9fe-410a-a4f3-8f9c71fc42e6.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-a3f37320-b59e-4df7-bb13-a9ab5da0e5c6.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
  #103
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Received the body from Warmoth today and it is absolutely killer roasted Alder. 3lb 7oz of joy and is now about to start receiving an oil finish.
Beautiful grain. Nice weight.

What kind of oil are you using?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #104
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Beautiful grain. Nice weight.

What kind of oil are you using?
Good question. I’ll make up my mind tomorrow, but I’m leaning towards pure boiled tung or linseed finished with a few coats of a polymerized version. But I’m also tempted to go Danish so we will see. Picking up finishing supplies in the morning so I’ll make up my mind once u see what is in stock. Need some more 1000 grit also to fill grain as I go.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #105
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Good question. I’ll make up my mind tomorrow, but I’m leaning towards pure boiled tung or linseed finished with a few coats of a polymerized version. But I’m also tempted to go Danish so we will see. Picking up finishing supplies in the morning so I’ll make up my mind once u see what is in stock. Need some more 1000 grit also to fill grain as I go.
Danish would be a great way to go. I'm so partial to using tung oil on alder that I'm biased and I prefer Hope's pure tung oil FWIW. Rub on a little home made lacquer and you're there.

Congrat's. Can't wait to see shots of your process. Good luck.

Last edited by TurboJets; 3 weeks ago at 03:21 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
  #106
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Received the body from Warmoth today and it is absolutely killer roasted Alder. 3lb 7oz of joy and is now about to start receiving an oil finish.
looks awsome. Oil? May i suggest translucent nitro? I found oil doesn't always work soundwise. But a great looking body, nice weight. Congrats
Old 3 weeks ago
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
looks awsome. Oil? May i suggest translucent nitro? I found oil doesn't always work soundwise. But a great looking body, nice weight. Congrats
I appreciate the suggestion. Oil will have the minimal amount of impact on the body. At least how I will finish it. My Nitro days are almost over. I have enough for one more project but it isn’t going to be this one. This one is by design going to have the minimal amount of material between the wood and the world required to keep it alive.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #108
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
I appreciate the suggestion. Oil will have the minimal amount of impact on the body. At least how I will finish it. My Nitro days are almost over. I have enough for one more project but it isn’t going to be this one. This one is by design going to have the minimal amount of material between the wood and the world required to keep it alive.
Sounds good Looking forward to stage reports (? ) and detailed final pics
Old 2 weeks ago
  #109
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
I appreciate the suggestion. Oil will have the minimal amount of impact on the body. At least how I will finish it. My Nitro days are almost over. I have enough for one more project but it isn’t going to be this one. This one is by design going to have the minimal amount of material between the wood and the world required to keep it alive.
My 2 Musicraft tele bodies have arrived. And I havent chosen the colours yet
I recon one translucent Sherwood green. The other Solid whit with sparkle orange front? Hmm
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-20191001_215649.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20191001_215705.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20191001_215804.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-20191001_215819.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
  #110
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
My 2 Musicraft tele bodies have arrived. And I havent chosen the colours yet
I recon one translucent Sherwood green. The other Solid whit with sparkle orange front? Hmm
Hard to beat Ash in the grain department and those are some beauties! And I like your color choices. That first one needs that grain to be seen. Exceptional piece.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #111
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Hard to beat Ash in the grain department and those are some beauties! And I like your color choices. That first one needs that grain to be seen. Exceptional piece.
Thanks. Started thinking non-standard neck like Mahogany/rosewood. Maybe i should have specified a strat neck pocket (), but i an a tele guy.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #112
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

First coat: 60% boiled linseed and 40% mineral spirits
Attached Thumbnails
How about those Partscaster Strats?-89f51d15-43ef-4b67-a7e2-4f56a510b5dc.jpg   How about those Partscaster Strats?-dd298961-d560-4320-8cb2-4aacd368dede.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
  #113
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Darkened up quite a bit. Nice. What is your next move?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #114
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Darkened up quite a bit. Nice. What is your next move?
A few more coats of straight boiled linseed oil and then a few coats of a mixture of mineral spirits, boiled linseed oil, and wipe on poly is the plan. With plenty of dry time in between. Going to bring it up to gloss and then decide whether to knock it back down to satin or not.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #115
Lives for gear
 
Yuri Kogan's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
First coat: 60% boiled linseed and 40% mineral spirits
Nice. Looks very much like my tele with rosewood/ ebony neck. But its walnut (figured) body
Old 2 weeks ago
  #116
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
A few more coats of straight boiled linseed oil and then a few coats of a mixture of mineral spirits, boiled linseed oil, and wipe on poly is the plan. With plenty of dry time in between. Going to bring it up to gloss and then decide whether to knock it back down to satin or not.
Nice. Any idea how many coats of poly you might do?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #117
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Nice. Any idea how many coats of poly you might do?
Since this is for me to play I’m shooting for as little as possible. Three is the goal. I’m not concerned as much with scratches and dents as I am with tone for this one so just looking to treat the wood to protect it and then try and get a little hardness over it.

If I were doing this for someone else I would likely do more coats of straight poly. Wipe on poly is a lot thinner than spraying anyway so there likely isn’t much difference in reality. But my brain still wants as little as possible on there.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #118
Lives for gear
 
TurboJets's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
Since this is for me to play I’m shooting for as little as possible. Three is the goal. I’m not concerned as much with scratches and dents as I am with tone for this one so just looking to treat the wood to protect it and then try and get a little hardness over it.

If I were doing this for someone else I would likely do more coats of straight poly. Wipe on poly is a lot thinner than spraying anyway so there likely isn’t much difference in reality. But my brain still wants as little as possible on there.
Cool. Thanks for your reply. I use wipe on poly on most of my projects so i understand. Looking forward to seeing your final steps.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #119
Lives for gear
 
PdotDdot's Avatar
I have a 62 Strat with a Slab Rosewood fret board that some moron had routed out so he could put humbuckers in it. The thing is only worth a few grand as a guitar however if I were to sell it as parts it is worth more like 15 grand or some such - at least this is what Gruhn's told about 8 years ago. I need to go get it appraised both as a guitar and as parts so I can insure it properly. Another item for my todo list. It is a very nice sounding Strat. Plays pretty good although nothing compares to my 60' Strat but I had to let though go as I need money to put down on a house. Sigh....
Old 2 weeks ago
  #120
Lives for gear
 
Bstapper's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I have a 62 Strat with a Slab Rosewood fret board that some moron had routed out so he could put humbuckers in it. The thing is only worth a few grand as a guitar however if I were to sell it as parts it is worth more like 15 grand or some such - at least this is what Gruhn's told about 8 years ago. I need to go get it appraised both as a guitar and as parts so I can insure it properly. Another item for my todo list. It is a very nice sounding Strat. Plays pretty good although nothing compares to my 60' Strat but I had to let though go as I need money to put down on a house. Sigh....
Life has its ups and downs for sure. I've lost everything at least three times (and I mean everything) and then there's the hard times where the gear list has consisted of a Hondo Fame where I cut off part of the plywood body so that it would fit in a Silvertone amp in the case and a guitar cable.

I'm fortunate these days, and gun shy. I don't take anything for granted and try and appreciate the fruits of lots and lots of hard work and hard times.

Glad you have a nice strat and hopefully still have the house!

Cheers,
Brock
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump