The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Bassbreaker 15: is the XLR output post-poweramp?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Bassbreaker 15: is the XLR output post-poweramp?

Hey guys,

This is a pretty straightforward question; I've got a Bassbreaker 15 head in my home studio, which I use for a lot of recording duties. I'm planning to start "silent recording" to avoid dealing with some room acoustic and monitoring issues - which I'd ordinarily do using a loadbox or something similar.

Conveniently, the Bassbreaker has a built in XLR output. Problem is, I can't work out whether this is tapping the signal after the preamp, or after the poweramp.

If it's after the poweramp I'm happy using it since I'll get the whole amp sound, but if it's just the preamp feed I'll need to either A: add poweramp emulation, or B: get a loadbox to capture the real output.

(The Bassbreaker's built-in cab simulation is pretty lame, but I have a big collection of different options in my computer, so I'm happy recording the raw amplifier output and handling cab simulation digitally)

Does anyone know, or know how I could find out?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Found this on a google search...

>consulted the specs on the BB15 and this is how the direct out is described:

>"DIRECT OUT: High-quality XLR output sends preamp signal for recording and sound reinforcement use."

https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=108103
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

No. An XLR output is a fairly reliable indicator that you're dealing with line or mic level (not speaker level) and relatively skinny wires.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No. An XLR output is a fairly reliable indicator that you're dealing with line or mic level (not speaker level) and relatively skinny wires.
Sure, but a circuit that'll take a high-voltage speaker input and create a mic-level copy of it isn't unheard of. Loadboxes and stuff like the Torpedo C.A.B. do this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmarshall View Post
Sure, but a circuit that'll take a high-voltage speaker input and create a mic-level copy of it isn't unheard of. Loadboxes and stuff like the Torpedo C.A.B. do this.
Okay. So you know it's line level. Cool.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

If anyone else is looking, I emailed with Fender and got a confirmation that it's tapped from the pre-amp, not the power amp.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by willmarshall View Post
First, it's a speaker OUTPUT, not an input. The input would be on the speaker cab.

Second, it's not a "high voltage output". It a high CURRENT output at a relatively low voltage.

Third, there are a couple of different ways to create a "line output" off a speaker out on a tube amp. One is to simply use a couple of big resistors, al la a headphone out. This usually does not work well for a line out because of the impedance mismatch and tends to sound funny. It also won't be a true balanced out.

The second is to use an assitional matching transformer to create a true balanced output. This is the best way but you'll rarely see it because a decent quality transformer for this purpose costs money.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search