The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
No Sound VOX AC30C2
Old 17th August 2019
  #1
Here for the gear
 

No Sound VOX AC30C2

Hi, im new in the forum, i hope i'm on the right place.

I'm having problems with my VOX AC30C2 Amp, i have it for 6 years i think, and now i just turned on (since yesterday) and has no sound, both, Top Boost and Normal jacks (Low and High).

I noticed the amp its not warming up...

yes, i already pluged the guitar in (2 or 3 different guitars)
yes, i already used other cables (3 or 4 different cables)
no, didnt made any sound (like a little explosion) and all the 6 valves are lighting...
yes, i'm turning on the Standby and all volume buttons are in 50%

it's on bypass, no loops, nothing different, just turned on like everyday and just didnt worked...

maybe voltage? need help, i have a rehearsal today later...

really big thanks in advance!!

EDIT: I'm not using the original VOX Amp power cable
Old 17th August 2019
  #2
Gear Head
 

The other guitar player in my band has the same problem. Turn the amp off and unplug it. Turn the bypass switch off then turn the amp on don't use the bypass tons of people have that problem with this amp. Hope this helps if not could be a myriad of reasons but that one is certainly common.
Old 17th August 2019
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpcalhoon View Post
The other guitar player in my band has the same problem. Turn the amp off and unplug it. Turn the bypass switch off then turn the amp on don't use the bypass tons of people have that problem with this amp. Hope this helps if not could be a myriad of reasons but that one is certainly common.
Hello, thank you for response, i think i didnt understand it EXACTLY, can you explain better, what i need to do, unplug etc.... more detailed please
sorry for this
Old 17th August 2019
  #4
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versury View Post
Hello, thank you for response, i think i didnt understand it EXACTLY, can you explain better, what i need to do, unplug etc.... more detailed please
sorry for this
Unplug the amp wait about a minute. Make sure the standby switch is not active(so the amp makes noise) plug back in and power up the problem is in the standby switch 9 out of ten times with this amp if it doesn't work take it in but this should cure it.
Old 17th August 2019
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpcalhoon View Post
Unplug the amp wait about a minute. Make sure the standby switch is not active(so the amp makes noise) plug back in and power up the problem is in the standby switch 9 out of ten times with this amp if it doesn't work take it in but this should cure it.
Lemme know if i made the right thing.
1. i disconnected the amp from power
2. put the STANDBY switch from ON to STANDBY
3. its in bypass (i didnt changed)
4. reconnected on the power and turned to ON (red light, yknow)

EDIT is on 16 ohms
Old 17th August 2019
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versury View Post
Lemme know if i made the right thing.
1. i disconnected the amp from power
2. put the STANDBY switch from ON to STANDBY
3. its in bypass (i didnt changed)
4. reconnected on the power and turned to ON (red light, yknow)

EDIT is on 16 ohms
Nope the standy must not be engaged everything else is correct the standby switch is the problem
Old 17th August 2019
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpcalhoon View Post
Nope the standy must not be engaged everything else is correct the standby switch is the problem
well, the, i need to switch to STANDBY or ON?
Old 18th August 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Yes, turn it to ON. That’s what he is saying.

Best,

audioforce
Old 18th August 2019
  #9
Gear Head
 

Yes turn the power on not the standby
Old 18th August 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
I'm pretty sure he means act as if there is no Standby switch by turning the amp Off and switching Standby to On or Play and leave it here. From then on, just use the power switch. Leave Stanby permanently ON.
Old 18th August 2019
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
I'm pretty sure he means act as if there is no Standby switch by turning the amp Off and switching Standby to On or Play and leave it here. From then on, just use the power switch. Leave Stanby permanently ON.
Exactly
Old 18th August 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

That's what I said. I can't believe this is so hard to comprehend.

I'm also pretty sure the rehearsal is already over. : )



Best,

audioforce
Old 18th August 2019
  #13
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
I'm also pretty sure the rehearsal is already over. : )



Best,

audioforce
Omg LMFAO!!!
Old 18th August 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

@ Versury

O.K., all kidding aside, did you get it working? We're here to help.


Best,


audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Here for the gear
 

I Just read that right now... well... my grandfather was working on the amp this morning....
he didnt made that but got volume, the problem is, got volume but just a little, like, VERY LOW volume....
Old 4 weeks ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versury View Post
I Just read that right now... well... my grandfather was working on the amp this morning....
he didnt made that but got volume, the problem is, got volume but just a little, like, VERY LOW volume....
Well that's something of a start. The process of repairing a non or nalfunctioning amplifier is basically one of process of elimination, narrowing down to the root cause. Ideally one has a schematic and OScope and can signal trace working through each stage to see where the signal stops or "falls down". Short of that but somewhat parallel one.can check voltages. That's hugely revealing and very important.

However if one lacks meters and especially skills there is still something you can do - Substitution. Try a different speaker to hear if there is any change. Try different cables and simplify as much as possible eg: remove any effects or peripheral connections. Plug into other inputs, other channels of course but also FX Returns or Pwr Amp In, etc. If the amp has outputs like FX Send try plugging those into a different amp. The point is that even without meters, schematics and proper tools one can still at least find out if the problem is systemic (usually the power supply), or in the 3 main areas 1) Speaker, 2) Power Amp, or 3) Preamp
.

If none of this makes sense to you and your grandfather, quickest solution is to get it to a tech who does make sense of such things.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #17
Take it to a tech.

Even is the trick with the standby switch works it still needs to be replaced because the switch is bad and you never know when it might wake up permanently dead.

However, if it was able to pass signal but only at very low level it points to something else actually wrong - it could be a tube, which can often be diagnosed by swapping similar tubes (but is unlikely if all channels are equally dead unless it's a bad phase inverter tube) it could be loose or dirty contacts in one or more sockets - which is routine maintenance for a tech, or it could be a more intractable problem.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet2 View Post
Well that's something of a start. The process of repairing a non or nalfunctioning amplifier is basically one of process of elimination, narrowing down to the root cause. Ideally one has a schematic and OScope and can signal trace working through each stage to see where the signal stops or "falls down". Short of that but somewhat parallel one.can check voltages. That's hugely revealing and very important.

However if one lacks meters and especially skills there is still something you can do - Substitution. Try a different speaker to hear if there is any change. Try different cables and simplify as much as possible eg: remove any effects or peripheral connections. Plug into other inputs, other channels of course but also FX Returns or Pwr Amp In, etc. If the amp has outputs like FX Send try plugging those into a different amp. The point is that even without meters, schematics and proper tools one can still at least find out if the problem is systemic (usually the power supply), or in the 3 main areas 1) Speaker, 2) Power Amp, or 3) Preamp
.

If none of this makes sense to you and your grandfather, quickest solution is to get it to a tech who does make sense of such things.
Many thanks! Thanks to y'all.
he is thinking in calls an old friend who already repaired our Giannini '60s amp.
But always thanks to y'all! helped a lot!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

IMO you should just take it to a repair shop before you screw around and fry it.

EDIT: just saw your post above about “old friend”. If he is an amp tech or “equivalent” then that might work, but otherwise you should just take it to a good shop, imo.

YMMV

Best,


audioforce
Old 4 weeks ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
It looks like you may be heading in the right direction but I am curious and failed to ask you sooner what you meant by "I noticed the amp is not warming up"? No glowing heaters? What?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

^^^

You know what? Not for nothin’, but it seems to me that asking the OP to self diagnose his amp from “over the Internet” instructions might not be too wise, particularly given the previous posts, language barrier, and so forth.


Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Take it to a tech.
Bingo.


Best,

audioforce
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump