The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Which travel/smaller acoustic?
Old 17th August 2019
Here for the gear

Which travel/smaller acoustic?

Hey all Been saving up for some sort of acoustic for a while as currently only have an electric. Had a look at local shop, tried some and then kind of fell into really liking the smaller guitars, they feel nice to play and my studio/playing space at home is very cramped so there's a benefit there too. Anyway I thought the Taylor Baby looked good then I thought about spending more and wondered if it was worth it and what the options are? Currently after watching some videos I am looking at the Taylor GS mini-e KOA.

It's at the very top of my budget and more then I originally wanted to spend, but I would be keeping it for many many years and maybe it pays to buy slightly better than you need, my first ever electric was my Fender strat, saved for ages and got it, was better than I needed at first but I have had it now for 14 years and will probably keep it forever so.

Any opinions? I am in the UK and max budget would be £800
Old 17th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by roobeats View Post
Hey all Been saving up for some sort of acoustic for a while as currently only have an electric. Had a look at local shop, tried some and then kind of fell into really liking the smaller guitars, they feel nice to play and my studio/playing space at home is very cramped so there's a benefit there too. Anyway I thought the Taylor Baby looked good then I thought about spending more and wondered if it was worth it and what the options are? Currently after watching some videos I am looking at the Taylor GS mini-e KOA.

It's at the very top of my budget and more then I originally wanted to spend, but I would be keeping it for many many years and maybe it pays to buy slightly better than you need, my first ever electric was my Fender strat, saved for ages and got it, was better than I needed at first but I have had it now for 14 years and will probably keep it forever so.

Any opinions? I am in the UK and max budget would be £800
I only play 4 string guitars these days: tenors, baritone ukes and cavaquinhos

I would go for something on the cheaper end if you don't intend for this to be a recording instrument. Also, I would get something on the newish side. Modern instruments have nearly perfect intonation... even $40 ukes.

If you want something completely different, try a baritone ukulele. They sound great, are small and are perfect for finger picking. I have a Makala that I love, along with a much more expensive Martin, but the Makala was $80usd.
Old 18th August 2019
Here for the gear

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I should probably have made my post clearer.

It's definitely a guitar I am after, and I make various music with some home recording.

I guess I'm more wondering how the various smaller/travel guitars stack up against each other!
Old 19th August 2019

Well, there's parlor guitars, then there is travel guitars....

Breedlove has been making nice parlor guitars for several years now. Some of them are affordable: https://breedlovemusic.com/acoustic-...assport-parlor

Then there are travel guitars: https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/1075/119029/

-tINY

Old 21st August 2019
Gear Addict

I have a Snap Dragon Traxe that I am quite happy with.

https://snap-dragon-guitars.com/

Its acoustic sound is as good as you can hope for in a plastic-bodied guitar that size, i.e. not great but useable for practice purposes. But amplified, the piezo pickup does a very good job. And the collapsible neck is a revelation.
Old 21st August 2019
Lives for gear
I have tried a few and the Taylor mini is good for the roll its designed for (smaller/travel and its 14 frets) i have the spruce top, i found the mahogany had less volume....never tried the Koa.
Thing is, although its small its not that much smaller than a folk size.
I think a folk size offers better choices and they dont have the inherent compromises of the smaller/travel type.

"Faith" guitars are good,they do a couple of parlour type + smaller body types("Faith naked" cutaway)
https://www.faithguitars.com
Old 22nd August 2019
Lives for gear

I would recommend the Taylor GS Mini.

When I was looking for a small acoustic, I checked all the available ones such as the Martins, Matons and found the GS mini the best sounding for the price point. Seen used by several working musician here.

I'm eyeing a Martin CEO 7, one of the nicest sounding responsive small bodied acoustic I've played but the price here in Aus is prohibitive (close to $4K)

Alfresco
Old 22nd August 2019
Gear Maniac

I traveled this summer with my brand new Martin Junior. The Sapele version is really nice, warm, and well frequency balanced ! The sound of a big Martin dreadnought, just a little less powerful (24" scale).
Old 2nd September 2019
Gear Maniac
I like mid-small bodied guitars and they can be great to record too. it sounds like the guitar is more for the studio than traveling. there's a few ways to be small - body size, body depth, neck scale length. and 12 versus 14 frets above the body.

i have the ceo7 btw and it is an amazing guitar. great for recording. the neck shape is unusual. short scale. in the 00 to 000 size. also a martin rs0001 which is 000. great for jams. nice pickup, mid-size, mid price. and a hohner 3/4 size which is small in all ways but sounds decent and is so EZ to play. this is the one i travel with and don't worry about.
Old 2nd September 2019
And then there's this little guy -- packaged by the Hohner company as a kid's guitar, sold for $40-$50 and a true half-size six-string, meant to be up-tuned a fourth. (The intonation on mine between the seventh and ninth frets gets pretty hinky on the solid nylon strings. You've been warned. But whaddya want for $43, tax and shipping when I bought it a couple years ago? I'd been looking at the ~$100 Guitarlele from Yamaha but... money. This seemed a perfect compromise for banging around.)

https://reverb.com/item/17820666-new..._source=google

Example of its sound (old strings)
Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear

I know it's already been mentioned a couple times already but I have to backup the suggestions for the Taylor GS Mini and the Breedlove Passport Parlor guitar. The Taylor was quite comfortable and put out a considerable amount of volume for it's size. Recorded very very well. I have never tried the Koa one however, mine was the Spruce. The Breedlove parlor guitar also had a good balanced tone and fair amount of volume. Both are easy to travel with, I think. Honestly in terms of those ones that are specific "travel guitars" that are really small or have the foldable neck & body option, I unfortunately can't comment on that because I've never really tried them. But I've gigged and recorded with both the Taylor Mini and the Passport parlor and was really happy with both, especially for the cost!
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Nut

I have the Yamaha Guitalele - hung it on the wall at work and mess with it here and there. As with all short scales, the strings are bendy. The stock strings also oxidize very quickly and start to unwind. They are tuned up similar to a ukulele - equivalent of a capo on the 4th fret of a regular guitar. I have seen strings that are tensioned to allow for a regular “E” tuning but haven’t tried them yet. It’s fun, but I’d try one in person. I think if I had it to do again, I’d probably not.

Ymmv
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search