The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Stratocasters - Models, Maple or Rosewood fingerboard, what do you use when and why?
Old 7th September 2019
I’m all for roasted woods - maple or otherwise. They are not a be-all-end-all but I have yet to try a guitar with them that hasn’t been impressive on some level, whether it’s a wallet-friendly Reverend or a crazy-looking Novo...
Old 7th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Each neck is different. There is no "Maple sounds like this" and Mahogany sounds like that."
Very true.

I've owned and played Rosewood, but my Rosewood guitars all came traditionally with Rosewood fretboards and so I went with them, but not by choice. I vastly prefer Maple.

I never purposefully chose a Rosewood fretboard until I bought a used Ibanez a couple of weeks ago. And by the way, this is the most ice picky monstrosity in history lol.

On the Rosewood highway take the next exit to Ice Pick City.

I'm getting pricing on cutting down the lower horn and refinishing/feathering the cutdown.

Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
I’m all for roasted woods - maple or otherwise. They are not a be-all-end-all but I have yet to try a guitar with them that hasn’t been impressive on some level, whether it’s a wallet-friendly Reverend or a crazy-looking Novo...
I see. Maybe its the thing where, if a maker goes to the lengths to make one feature of the instrument "special", they usually take the same attitude / approach with the rest of the instrument.

Best always,

audioforce
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

I'm surprised I haven't seen any adverts for roasted mahogany. The added strength and decreased weight would both be advantageous.
Old 9th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
I'm surprised I haven't seen any adverts for roasted mahogany. The added strength and decreased weight would both be advantageous.
There are builders using it. Tempered Tonewoods does blanks for purchase.

Red Rocket Guitars is one luthier who has used it recently (ie, one I saw!)

Edit: here it is:

Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
Well it depends on the sous and seasoning you going to use
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are builders using it. Tempered Tonewoods does blanks for purchase.

Red Rocket Guitars is one luthier who has used it recently (ie, one I saw!)

Edit: here it is:

Very pretty guitars. Love the Classic Afterburner. And those offset ones like the Burst Rocketmaster. No prices in sight?
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Very pretty guitars. Love the Classic Afterburner. And those offset ones like the Burst Rocketmaster. No prices in sight?
The exact one in that video is selling for £3850 at a London dealer.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The exact one in that video is selling for £3850 at a London dealer.
Hmmmm. I may want to make that decision when i am a little drunk
Old 10th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Hmmmm. I may want to make that decision when i am a little drunk
Haha! I think it got marked down to £2650 in a recent sale but no takers and it's back up to RRP. They had a green one that did sell though.

Red Rocket stuff is cool - all hand-built by one guy in the US... super customised, there are rarely two alike.
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha! I think it got marked down to £2650 in a recent sale but no takers and it's back up to RRP. They had a green one that did sell though.

Red Rocket stuff is cool - all hand-built by one guy in the US... super customised, there are rarely two alike.
The guy who looks after my guitars makes his with as good a quality, the one he made for me is superb. Not cheap either. But he doesnt make offset guitars - which I am into right now. I had one put together for me using parts I sourced - its my personal favourite at the moment. At the moment is the key work here - untill the next one probably
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

omg, tmg! : )
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
omg, tmg! : )
NEVER
Old 16th September 2019
Here for the gear

I have a 1981 black Stratocaster and a 1981 Lake Placid Blue The Strat both purchased new with maple fingerboards. I prefer the look of Rosewood but I got really good deals on these so I can't complain. I have other Guitars with Rosewood.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I never could get used to a vintage radius on fenders.

The neck on the srv’s nailed it for me, think the kws guitar is similar, baseball ,fat neck, 12” radius, and seem to sound huge on just about any body..
I could care less what the fingerboard is made of.

Same way I like a les Pual, more a 50s neck guy than slim taper...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab Gear View Post
I have a 1981 black Stratocaster and a 1981 Lake Placid Blue The Strat both purchased new with maple fingerboards. I prefer the look of Rosewood but I got really good deals on these so I can't complain. I have other Guitars with Rosewood.
I had one of those blue "The Strat" guitars. Does yours also weigh about 400 lbs?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had one of those blue "The Strat" guitars. Does yours also weigh about 400 lbs?
495lb to be precise
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Mine is just over 9lbs. Heavy for a Strat, but it is northern ash.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search