The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Feel my guitars actually is too fat
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Head

Feel my guitars actually is too fat

Im working on a song (not finnished), i feel that my guitars are too fat when i compare my track to commercial songs, i have not used eq at all on my guitars, (im using amplitube btw) i've done it on earlier versions of this song, but it sounds worse when i eq it. So what are yours opinion on my mix? and how would you fix my too fat guitars the best way without killing its character? Listen to 1.6 by Ruben Vike Våge on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/ruben-vike-vage/16a/s-YA9AY
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

I feel the same about myself.
As to the guitar, with your DAW just eq out frequencies between 200 and 300 Hz (it is where fatness reside) with a relatively narrow Q and use a high pass filter at 50-60Hz and it will be juat fine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Pick/strum closer to the bridge.
Old 4 weeks ago
Agreed with John (second time today), but also you can be pretty harsh about the hi-pass filter before it drastically alters the tone in a mix in a negative way. Then you need to fix your delay/verb and be even more harsh there, delay/verb doesn't need any of the mids/bass, even duck it where possible to improve clarity. That stuff muddies up everything unless you clear out the room for it.

Otherwise you can also work form the other end by adjusting the arrangement and mix of the other instruments to make room for the guitar and help it fit better, especially arrangement.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numero6 View Post
I feel the same about myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They're too loud. And I'd just HP them somewhere from about 130 to 150Hz. Dump the mud. You don't need it in the mix. Let the bass guitar have some room to breath.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Your guitars don't sound too big to me. I like guitars that are huge, but you have to make room for the vocal. In retrospect I mixed mine too bright....

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Agreed with John (second time today), ..........
Danger, danger, danger...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rub1v View Post
Im working on a song (not finnished), i feel that my guitars are too fat when i compare my track to commercial songs, i have not used eq at all on my guitars, (im using amplitube btw) i've done it on earlier versions of this song, but it sounds worse when i eq it. So what are yours opinion on my mix? and how would you fix my too fat guitars the best way without killing its character? Listen to 1.6 by Ruben Vike Våge on #SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/ruben-vike-vage/16a/s-YA9AY
You can use some overdrives (tube screamer ...) of some fuzz pedals (on very low gain) which are known to thin and tighten low end. Pushing a bit more mids and lowering bass controls on tour amp may help (don't do too much there)
Some guitars (like strats on bridge pickup) are naturally thin. Layering a couple of amps and introducing phasing can do it too. And of course you mic technique can help (the easiest is placing the mic right on the centre of the speaker and compensating with the amp eq for the extra bite (presence) and top end)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search