The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Low budget in need of a certain kind of amp
Old 6th August 2019
Here for the gear

Low budget in need of a certain kind of amp

Hey all! I'm on a low budget and can spend about 300 Euro in a guitar amp. If it's in the 200-300 range much better.

I'm a pro in the sense that I've gone on international tours and recorded several albums, but recently moved to another continent so I had to sell all my stuff (and use the money for other things!)

I'm looking for an amp that hopefully fulfills these criteria:

1) Perform well at low volumes, for practicing at home and recording in small studios.
2) If it's a modeling amp with good overdrives, cleans and some FX that lets me gig without the need of stomps, so much better.
3) Regarding item 2, if it lets me use my DAW to automate patch changes I would be very happy (Sometimes for convenience I simply automated Guitar Rig presets with backup tracks that changed whenever needed, then run the output of my interface to an amp, sometimes two amps when I used stereo FX and the venue was worth it)
3) Small & light enough so it's not a pain to carry around to play.
4) Also pardon my ignorance but why most people consider a 40W amp not good enough for live gigs? This is considering RMS or Peak power? I never played live without miking my amps. Whenever I played with 120W RMS amps which was the standard I needed to set the master volume at no more than 4 to get some good monitoring on my guitar in a rock band. In any case, if it's a 100W amp but light and small enough that sounds well in low volume settings I think I got most bases covered.

Also I don't care whether it's a tube or solid state amp. I like them both for their differences

And finally for the life of me how is it that there are no new 60, 65W amp models? All I see is 20, 40 and then jump straight to 100W with some 50W now and then.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 6th August 2019

Have you tried the Vox Mini Super Beatle?

-tINY

Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

To get any level of build quality for 300bux for a new combo, it will pretty much have to be SS at anywhere close to the wattage you want. It used to be I could recommend 2 x Monoprice 1x12 15 watt combos for a total of 2x12s and 30 watts Wet/Dry Tube Power, but the price has exploded recently to ~250 for just one...100 bux more than a year ago. It is worth the 250 tho and 2 of 'em would just be so sweet, but maybe incrementally is an option?
Old 7th August 2019
Jtt
Gear Addict

The tube amp that they sell at monoprice.com for under $200 is pretty good and even has a reverb tank. It's a knock off of one of the cheaper laney amps.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

The new fender gt100’s are getting great reviews. Apparently so much so that they’ve went up $50. Just a week or so ago they were $349. Now they’re $399 everywhere. Foot switch is separate.
Besides the modeling it sounds like it has some pretty good fx too.
Check out Warren Huarts review on YouTube.

I think wattage is a bigger deal with digital/solid state amps, the more wattage generally the more clean headroom you have.
Old 7th August 2019
Here for the gear

Thank you all for your replies! Unfortunately most of your suggestions are a bit above my current budget, for example Super Beetle is 380 Euros around here.
Monoprice might be an option incrementally though I think I'll be not getting enough in the immediate.
Fender GT100 is a great option because I can get it for 325 Euros, I don't know the difference between this one and Champion 100 except that the latter wouldn't be an option (too big to carry everywhere and double the weight).
What about Vox VT100X? It's a bit cheaper than the GT100
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear
The Fender GT100 and its predecessor, the Mustang III have a great reputation and can produce a wide variety of great tones from clean to dirty. They are more than capable of professional work.

I definitely recommend that you audition one. As to the Vox VT100X, audition one as well.
Old 7th August 2019
Lives for gear

FWIW The Monoprice 1W/15W with an OEM Celestion 12 currently retailing at $249 here in the US, is not your common, everyday 15 watts. It is louder than Princeton Reverb due to zero negative feedback. It really "breathes". It would handle venues under 200 people except in the loudest of club bands (100+db) which are quite uncommon these days. Two of them would easily double if not triple that figure with no FOH support. Mic it and you're g2g anywhere. It's quite impressive even with the cheapo Celestion. Upgrade that, either by better quality replacement or doubling and it's quite a tone monster. It's extremely hard to beat at under $300 USD.

I should point out that ALL of that money is divided between basic fundamental tone components, not effects, so more of your hard earned sheckels goes to Tonality, not "feature" bullet points. It has a decent gain structure and FX Loop for those. If you plan to "go on the road" you might consider building a case or a more rugged cabinet but that will be true at over twice what you hope to spend.

IMHO the most important thing an amplifier can do is thrill YOU, the player. The Monoprice is surprisingly thrilling.
Old 7th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Boss Katana is a popular choice to look at also.

If I were to switch to a solid state setup, I would probably go with a Mustang III but I would explore the GT100 for sure. In fact, I typically take a Mustang I V2 to gigs as my backup. I wired an external speaker jack into it so I can plug it into my cab. I actually had to press it into service one night and you know what? It worked just fine. Sure, I missed my #1 amp but I walked away from that experience thinking if a Mustang was all my budget would allow for I would be able to happily live with it. Even our harp player needed it as a backup one night and it sounded great with that too.

Fender Super Champ XD on the used market might be worth a look too. Very nice sounding and it definitely has the tube power amp "feel" to with the 12AX7 final gain stage and phase inverter with 6V6 output tubes.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Great points to consider. I thought a lot these few days and I'm definitely leaning towards portability, but of course tone will be the major selling point.
Regarding modeling amps like the Katana and Vox VTX series I can't get info from any reliable source whether you can switch presets via Bluetooth. Does anybody know about this, and also how reliable the connection is?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search