The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Sounds - for fun and profit. Post good stuff!
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds - for fun and profit. Post good stuff!

FADE-IN………………….…ITS NOONBREAK AT AUDIOFORCE MANOR.

Both astounded and amused, audioforce the expertizer finds himself abruptly and unceremoniously "removed from discussion" in the contentious GS "thread of non-understanding”. This, after successfully jumping, along with a number of other trained experts, no less than 1999 sharks!

Sadly, but not unexpectedly, the “thread of non-understanding” fares none the better for audioforce’s absence, and has actually fallen into even greater darkness and absurdity. Ah, well………….”But you and I, we’ve been through that, and this is not our fate!”

So, insulted but undaunted, audioforce resolves to start his very own thread where all the good inhabitants of GS can post happily, without having to meet any wacked-out “challenge”.

Surely peace and harmony will reign once again!

Let the thread proceed thusly! But these are just rough guidelines, and if anyone has any suggestions [for changes or additions] for how we can make this thread better, then please suggest away, so we can get to it.

1. No one is challenging anyone in this thread, we are just looking to learn about some good guitar and / or bass sounds.

2. This thread is for anyone to post any guitar / bass sound that they like. Doesn’t matter whether it is an amp, or any other alternative. Acoustic guitar sounds are also welcome, of course.

3. I would encourage anyone to feel free to post any audio or video clip of any sound they think is cool, or effective, or interesting, or beautiful, or kick-ass, or whatever.

4. It does not have to be your own sound, or your playing, although it can be. You can also post any sound without saying whose sound it is. So you can post your own stuff without saying its you, if you want to. Or you can say its yours.

5. If you know anything [or think you know anything] about the sound that is not evident from the posting [e.g. how it was created, or whatever], feel free to provide the information if you wish to. Or not. Or provide it after we spend some time conjecturing and expertizing about it. : )

6. People can comment on, and discuss, the sounds posted, and we can all learn about stuff.

7. If you are an amp repairman, or a software / digital amp designer or anybody else with a vested business interest in “real” amps or “amp sims” or any other alternative [because you make money repairing them, renting them, or coding for them or whatever], then let us know so we can take that into account.

Looking forward to it,

audioforce.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Never seen this. Not too shabby tone. : )

Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

The obvious.

Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

A nice song recorded with amp sims in free Garageband:

God bless whammy bars:

Dead

Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

And what's this? check it at 1:40

Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Oh, yeah. This stuff.

Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Oh, yeah. This stuff.

I love Leslie West's tone from back then. Sunn PA:

Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Great post @ Moonwhistle . ^ He pretty much nails the sound. I looked the guy up. Al B. Romano, right? Very interesting stuff.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Great post @ Moonwhistle . ^ He pretty much nails the sound. I looked the guy up. Al B. Romano, right? Very interesting stuff.
Yeah I think he got lessons from Leslie or something. I dig the socks and sandals.
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Nut

Jerry Douglas Solo 7-27-2014

Stephen Stills Black Queen

Calum Graham - The Nomad - Solo Acoustic Guitar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 7th July 2019
Gear Nut

When I was a lad I saw Woodstock - it was an introduction, Richie Havens, Alvin Lee, Townshend - each getting progressively more enthralling. And then I saw Hendrix. All was magic to a budding guitarist, but the part that I thought was the most magical was this:

I’d never seen anything like it before or since.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
Yeah I think he got lessons from Leslie or something. I dig the socks and sandals.
Yeah, I noticed that, too.
Old 7th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
Jerry Douglas Solo 7-27-2014

Stephen Stills Black Queen

Calum Graham - The Nomad - Solo Acoustic Guitar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for that. Never heard any of it before, and it was all pretty wonderful. The last piece showed a really "effective" use of mic tech and effects, I think. Great sounding guitars, all very different.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
A nice song recorded with amp sims in free Garageband:

God bless whammy bars:

Dead

You are the finder of strange and unusual things.
Old 8th July 2019
Lives for gear

just love the opening few chords of this - I don't tend to chase other people's tones, but this might be an exception...

Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Its a little buzzy at times but still very cool.

Old 9th July 2019
Lives for gear

Uhh, balls to the wall, top to bottom, meters pegged. : )

Great rock sound. I worked with the guy who mixed this, David Bianco. Amazing engineer, total pro. It was mastered by George Marino.

Zak Wylde - JCM800s, SG with EMGs, reportedly, but I hear a whammy bar, too. ?

Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Here's something that should be good. Haven't watched it all but the guitar sound is lovely as Jim Hall's always is.

Old 10th July 2019
Gear Nut

Stevie Ray Vaughan *Riviera Paradise*

Kinga Głyk - Tears In Heaven

Sharon Corr / Jeff Beck - Mna Na Hereann (Live in London 24.08.2011)

The Hamsters - Little Wing

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Görkem Şen - Yaybahar

Yaybahar Instrument Build
http://ianhoneyman.blogspot.com/2016...ent-build.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

@ Kozmos88

All that stuff is excellent. Thanks!

Not so sure the last one is guitar, btw, but interesting nonetheless. Good post!
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Not so sure the last one is guitar, btw, but interesting nonetheless.
it just scraped in by virtue of having frets .. of sorts ..
'n some strings ..
i've heard them in soundtracks .. but never seen one
or known the name of the instrument ..
thought the 'sound' might interest some folk on these pages ..

and the fact that one could be made on a d.i.y. basis

~~~~

i did stop short of posting some 'santoor' playing ;-)

~~~~

be one thing finding some interesting guitar playing online
but another to find a decent recording of same

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

[/LIST]appropriated this from "the thread of which we do not speak".

Pretty cool, or interesting, or .......... something?

Old 14th July 2019
Gear Maniac

In which GearFiddler tosses a sachel charge of Ponty into the guitar cave.

Partly 'cuz um... now that's a bow! But also due to the excellent guitar playing that lies therein.

It's been 25 - 30 years since I've listened to much of any of this. I was quite the Ponty-ac at one time. But, you know, at some point ya gotta bust loose and be your own self. Still, after all that time, the guitar solo in "The Art Of Happiness" makes me happy. Goose bumps galore. And the bass playing and sound in "The Struggle Of The Turtle To The Sea Part III is particularly interesting I think. Fuzz Wah?

I hope you sistas enjoy!

Last edited by GearFiddler; 15th July 2019 at 12:26 AM..
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

My picks.....

One from 1989....guitar solo comes in around midway

And a recent one from Oz Noy, live in the studio...

Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

^^^Mmm Hmm. The Oz Noy. That's the sh*t, right there.

And check out Will Lee. Son of "Dean Lee". : )
Old 14th July 2019
Quote:
I love Leslie West's tone from back then. Sunn PA:

Those are NOT Sunn Coliseums, which were solid state and had the "thin" amp enclosures.

Those are Sunn 2000S tube amps that used the Dynaco MKVI power amp circuit and transformers. 4x 6550s.
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

For Moonwhistle

“Mountain's first gig was at Fillmore West in 1969” remembers Leslie West. “I had been using Marshall amps, and that’s what I expected to find when I opened a bunch of cartons that had arrived from the airport, but instead I got a Sunn—and it wasn’t even a guitar amp. The cartons contained a Sunn Coliseum P.A. head and four 4x12 cabinets, and I thought, ‘There’s no way I can get a good tone out of this thing.’ But the head had four microphone inputs and a master volume control, and when I plugged in and turned it up I got this amazing tone, which became my sound. And remember, this was years before amps had master volume controls. The head had huge transformers and gigantic KT88 tubes, and the cabinets were loaded with Eminence speakers, which never hurt your ears even with the treble all the way up. That’s the amp I used on Mountain Climbing, which included ‘Mississippi Queen.’” - Leslie West

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players...ppi-queen-tone

https://reverb.com/item/3387478-sunn...-queen-hendrix

Also see: Bottom right image of the attached catalog.
Attached Thumbnails
Sounds - for fun and profit.  Post good stuff!-fos80vd0ozyi8jgattd8.jpg   Sounds - for fun and profit.  Post good stuff!-jk2z7utsen8ofga6b177.jpg   Sounds - for fun and profit.  Post good stuff!-njdpi2y0fthbx7zb7o7j.jpg   Sounds - for fun and profit.  Post good stuff!-qo9sa7yllulrfjxdztx5-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sunn_Amps_1970_Catalog.pdf (1.13 MB, 11 views)
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Now back to our regularly scheduled program of posting cool guitar sounds and playing,

and not arguing about amps. : )
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Not sure I agree with all of this, but there are some good ones listed in this article:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/25-o...es-of-all-time
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearFiddler View Post
In which GearFiddler tosses a sachel charge of Ponty into the guitar cave.

Partly 'cuz um... now that's a bow! But also due to the excellent guitar playing that lies therein.

It's been 25 - 30 years since I've listened to much of any of this. I was quite the Ponty-ac at one time. But, you know, at some point ya gotta bust loose and be your own self. Still, after all that time, the guitar solo in "The Art Of Happiness" makes me happy. Goose bumps galore. And the bass playing and sound in "The Struggle Of The Turtle To The Sea Part III is particularly interesting I think. Fuzz Wah?
Jean Luc always worth listening to.

I wore the Enigmatic Oceans album out in college, I think. Daryl Steurmer on guitar there, iirc.

Who's on Cosmic Messenger?

I played with a bass player named Tim Landers who, iirc, was in Ponty's band. Nice gig.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search