The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Sounds - for fun and profit. Post good stuff!
Old 8th August 2019
  #91
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

I just skimmed through this, but there's some great playing and singing by a lot of people, and some very good guitar. Not a guitar feature, but strong solos.

Old 8th August 2019
  #92
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

after reading todays posts in the slide thread ..
.. one Bonnie.R trak .. 'n a few Peter.G trax ..

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Raitt
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_(musician)

enjoy ..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attached Files

BR05.mp3 (8.35 MB, 536 views)

PG05.mp3 (8.64 MB, 522 views)

PG17.mp3 (8.87 MB, 515 views)

PG21.mp3 (6.37 MB, 523 views)

PG20.mp3 (9.56 MB, 526 views)


Last edited by Kozmos88; 8th August 2019 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: links added
Old 9th August 2019
  #93
Gear Nut
 
weave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
after reading todays posts in the slide thread ..
.. one Bonnie.R trak .. 'n a few Peter.G trax ..

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Raitt
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Green_(musician)

enjoy ..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wish I could do slide so bad. I haven been able to h

I do have a tri come resonator - and I currently am unworthy.
Old 9th August 2019
  #94
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
I wish I could do slide so bad. I haven been able to h

I do have a tri come resonator - and I currently am unworthy.
Ha, ha. I bet you could do it. A lot of the "trick" to it is the right hand.

Are you trying to play with a pick, with your fingers, or with fingerpicks?


Best,

audioforce
Old 9th August 2019
  #95
Lives for gear
 
grannis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
I wish I could do slide so bad. I haven been able to h

I do have a tri come resonator - and I currently am unworthy.
that looks like a cello on your profile pic. Maybe that's where you're going wrong?
Old 10th August 2019
  #96
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
You can't bring up slide without including the late great Lowell George (and sometimes Dueling Slides with his mate Paul Barrere)

Old 11th August 2019
  #97
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

One from the other thread and another one.

Angel [Beck plays slide]

Sleepwalk. [Beck using a pick?]



Old 12th August 2019
  #98
Gear Nut
 
weave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Ha, ha. I bet you could do it. A lot of the "trick" to it is the right hand.

Are you trying to play with a pick, with your fingers, or with fingerpicks?


Best,

audioforce
I am a flat picker -

And for what it’s worth - cello’s make some interesting sounds, like upright bass. I also am not great with a bow, so I do what I can. I came into that one for $35 at a flea market, so why not?

Old 12th August 2019
  #99
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
I am a flat picker -

And for what it’s worth - cello’s make some interesting sounds, like upright bass. I also am not great with a bow, so I do what I can. I came into that one for $35 at a flea market, so why not?

Lemme see if I understand this. You are looking to play slide cello, with a flatpack? Is that right?



Best,


audioforce
Old 12th August 2019
  #100
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
I am a flat picker -

O.K., so that's a hard way to go for slide, although you will see a lot of rock lead guitar type guys doing that. I think Joe Walsh does it and Lowell George did. But they kind of have limited stuff that they can get to that way.

I played slide like that for a long time. I didn't play much slide, though.

Its hard to damp adjacent strings if you are using only a pick, and that's a major part of playing slide fluently.

Maybe try using the pick and your fingers, too. Then you can start using your thumb and fingers, then maybe a thumbpick and fingers, then a thumbpick and fingerpicks.

Of course you don't have to use finger or thumb picks at all. A lot of people just use their fingers [or maybe a pick and some fingers].

But just a flatpick alone is tough.

Anyhow, its not as hard as all that to get it going, and if you tune to an open tuning you actually have the advantage of lots of stuff just sounding cool without requiring a lot of finesse.



Best,

auidioforce
Old 12th August 2019
  #101
Gear Nut
 
weave's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Lemme see if I understand this. You are looking to play slide cello, with a flatpack? Is that right?



Best,


audioforce
No - my main instrument is guitar - has been for about 45 years. I’ll work on the right hand and see what I can conjure up.

Suggestions on open tunings?
Old 12th August 2019
  #102
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

'Johnny Bellar'
be some mp3's on his site
( https://www.johnnybellar.com )
and be more similar thru this youtube playlist


'Duane Allman & Aretha Franklin .. The Weight'


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and some 'Keb Mo' trax https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keb%27_Mo%27
Attached Files

km_10.mp3 (7.45 MB, 384 views)

km_34.mp3 (5.28 MB, 392 views)

km_25.mp3 (9.57 MB, 531 views)

km_12.mp3 (8.73 MB, 372 views)

Old 12th August 2019
  #103
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
No - my main instrument is guitar - has been for about 45 years. I’ll work on the right hand and see what I can conjure up.

Suggestions on open tunings?
I was just kidding about the slide cello with a flatpick thing. Although, now that I think about it, why not?

I'm sure you'll get the right hand stuff together for slide. For single note stuff, you just sound the note with one finger and use other fingers to damp the adjacent strings so they don't sound and rattle and interfere. Obviously, if you're playing more than one note, you still just damp the others adjacent.

As far as tunings go, just tune to an open E chord [you can lower it to D], or to an open A chord [you can lower it to G]. Those are really the main ones. Sometimes people will get crafty and lower the thirds a half-step to a minor third, for, say, a minor blues song. But usually the typical blues stuff is all done in open D,E,G, or A. That's the way to get the characteristic bluesy -sounding licks and all that.

If you're doing stuff that isn't blues or modal type stuff, i.e. with lots of chord changes through different keys, then you are probably better off just tuning to standard tuning and looking at it that way. Or you can come up with your own tuning variations to suit the piece.

Some others may have additional suggestions


Best,


audioforce
Old 18th August 2019
  #104
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

Gilmour (3) .. Yello (1) ..
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attached Files

DG05.mp3 (13.22 MB, 481 views)

DG01.mp3 (10.13 MB, 351 views)

DG06.mp3 (12.47 MB, 347 views)

Y01.mp3 (7.66 MB, 330 views)

Old 18th August 2019
  #105
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

and .. some Beaujolais, Cole 'n Thorpe
( mellow .. steel / vibes / bass )
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attached Files

BTC08.mp3 (9.90 MB, 324 views)

BTC02.mp3 (12.35 MB, 337 views)

BCT05.mp3 (12.76 MB, 338 views)

BCT_10.mp3 (8.13 MB, 327 views)

Old 20th August 2019
  #106
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
'Johnny Bellar'
be some mp3's on his site
( https://www.johnnybellar.com )
and be more similar thru this youtube playlist


'Duane Allman & Aretha Franklin .. The Weight'


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and some 'Keb Mo' trax https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keb%27_Mo%27
The Johnny Bellar stuff is amazing. Thanks for posting that and for contributing so much to this thread.


Best,

audioforce
Old 22nd August 2019
  #107
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

drawing a guitar blank at mo. -:/

Quote:
The Johnny Bellar stuff is amazing.
agreed .. :-) ..
accidental find when searching for 'duane allman slide " on youtube
( ' cause one poster questioned .. by posting a J.B. track
( whether it were D.A. playing it ..
( and a 'reply' .. posted a link to J.B.'s site

getting lost down the yootoob .. now and again some interesting finds
though .. time consuming .. like when time goes by as instrument and player become 'one'

Quote:
Thanks for posting that and for contributing so much to this thread.
cheers 'audioforce' ..
given my limited experience re. gigging, recording, playing / owning loads of guitars .. etc
i let the more qualified to reply to such subjects :-)
as is .. i find myself agreeing a fair bit with JE's tech. opinions
and am sort of wondering how .. in the long run .. the
plywood-LP-body + ?neck .. is going to turn out in terms of
player's sonic satisfaction .. ( might make a good 'midi' guitar .. trigger ) ..

from now on .. aim to include one .mp3 ( 320bps/stereo/sans_original.aiff_metadata )
for guitarist newbies .. who may / or may not .. have heard trax that:
many guitarists would rate as a 'classic' ..
in anycase .. it be freebie high-bps mp3's to do as the viewer likes with 'em .. :-)

anyhooo .. for now ..
comic musical thread 'intermission' .. from Bill Bailey courtesy of YT







~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mp3's: the waitress made it 'cause i've always fancied one .. ;-)
no idea who the player is ..
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jah_Wobble )
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gipsy_Kings )
Attached Files

GKs01.mp3 (9.26 MB, 283 views)

JW_01.mp3 (14.55 MB, 300 views)

PG_albtrs.mp3 (7.14 MB, 281 views)

Th'Waitress.mp3 (6.37 MB, 279 views)

Old 24th August 2019
  #108
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
agreed .. :-) ..
accidental find when searching for 'duane allman slide " on youtube
( ' cause one poster questioned .. by posting a J.B. track
( whether it were D.A. playing it ..
( and a 'reply' .. posted a link to J.B.'s site

getting lost down the yootoob .. now and again some interesting finds
though .. time consuming .. like when time goes by as instrument and player become 'one'


cheers 'audioforce' ..
given my limited experience re. gigging, recording, playing / owning loads of guitars .. etc
i let the more qualified to reply to such subjects :-)
You don’t have to worry about any of that just join in in Join in and post whatever you think, man.
Old 27th August 2019
  #109
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mp3's:
Mike.Bloomfield / Charlie.Daniels / Joe.Satriani
( bluesy numbers )
Attached Files

M.Bloomfield_1.mp3 (15.47 MB, 234 views)

C.Daniels_2.mp3 (13.36 MB, 224 views)

J.Satriani_3.mp3 (15.38 MB, 238 views)

Old 27th August 2019
  #110
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comman..._Planet_Airmen

Bill Kirchen, talks Tele
Attached Files

CCL01.mp3 (4.27 MB, 217 views)

CCL03.mp3 (6.42 MB, 358 views)

CCL05.mp3 (7.92 MB, 214 views)

CCL08.mp3 (5.16 MB, 216 views)

Old 29th August 2019
  #111
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

GS 'debates' .. winding you up ?
take a tangent route .. some midi guitar ..
courtesy P. Metheny .. live ..

related:
https://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-300.htm

yeah be a ton of p.m. on yootoob ..
but last time took me ages to find this trak on yt
'cause i've not a clue as to the trak title ..
~~~~~~~~~~~
mp3's:
one continuous trak in 2 parts .. 'n down to 256kps ..
( posting restrictions )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Attached Files

pml_prt1.mp3 (14.75 MB, 203 views)

pml_prt2.mp3 (13.97 MB, 190 views)

Old 29th August 2019
  #112
As for sounds, I'm not sure this combo has been used before. I'm bringing my 8 string Hagstrum bass along with my custom built Telecaster 12 string this weekend. The band is doing some chimey 1960's tunes and I thought this would sound cool.
Old 29th August 2019
  #113
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
As for sounds, I'm not sure this combo has been used before. I'm bringing my 8 string Hagstrum bass along with my custom built Telecaster 12 string this weekend. The band is doing some chimey 1960's tunes and I thought this would sound cool.
That’s at least 20 strings, if I count correctly. Please be careful! ) :
Old 30th August 2019
  #114
Lives for gear
 
audioforce's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmos88 View Post
GS 'debates' .. winding you up ?
take a tangent route .. some midi guitar ..
courtesy P. Metheny .. live ..

related:
https://www.joness.com/gr300/GR-300.htm

yeah be a ton of p.m. on yootoob ..
but last time took me ages to find this trak on yt
'cause i've not a clue as to the trak title ..
~~~~~~~~~~~
mp3's:
one continuous trak in 2 parts .. 'n down to 256kps ..
( posting restrictions )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excellent post. You are finding some really good stuff for this thread. I'll try to put something good up, too! Hopefully others will add to the party.

I had one of those GR-300s. I can't believe I sold it now.


Best,

audioforce
Old 12th September 2019
  #115
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
Miles Smiles

Old 4 weeks ago
  #116
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'n a couple of .. :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_Ellis

~~
Attached Files

TEllis05.mp3 (12.28 MB, 104 views)

TEllis02.mp3 (6.99 MB, 103 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
  #117
Lives for gear
 
enorbet2's Avatar
The Humbler.....

Old 3 weeks ago
  #118
Gear Nut
 
Kozmos88's Avatar
 

.. some Buddy Emmons ..

( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Emmons )

like his version of Orange Blossom Special ..



mp3's be a jazz / country mix ..

not quite sure as to which album they're off ..
( although .. from memory ..
( the y.t. pic above looks to be same as the album cover pic
story on back of vinyl cover related his trip to nyc to record the album ..
he couldn't fly out with the amp he wanted .. 'n had to take a smaller one .. hence the slight overdriven sound on some of the trax ..

edit-to-add .. just some trivia info : ..

t'were mentioned that on some of the album trax he were playing a 'hawaiian steel guitar' .. pic on back cover showed him standing / playing the instrument ..
seems like there's still a debate as to the instrument's name ..
from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_steel_guitar
" Some makers and authorities do not use the term console steel guitar at all, but refer to any steel guitar without pedals as a lap steel guitar."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
( have just 'cut-up' a 45min 'tape' of this ..
( so .. some more trax for the road .. 'n sharing :-)
Attached Files

03 BE03.mp3 (6.58 MB, 60 views)

01 BE01.mp3 (7.29 MB, 65 views)

02 BE02.mp3 (10.08 MB, 67 views)

04 BE04.mp3 (4.82 MB, 51 views)

05 BE05.mp3 (4.39 MB, 55 views)

07 BE07.mp3 (6.39 MB, 60 views)

08 BE08.mp3 (7.44 MB, 60 views)

09 BE09.mp3 (7.42 MB, 61 views)

10 BE10.mp3 (9.15 MB, 58 views)

06 BE06.mp3 (6.89 MB, 59 views)


Last edited by Kozmos88; 3 weeks ago at 06:47 PM.. Reason: typo
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump