The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Where to get guitars appraised?
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Where to get guitars appraised?

I have an old high school friend who wants to sell her fathers old guitar and amp. Its a 1963 Strat. She says it hasn’t been played in 40 years. Her father passed long ago. I looked at eBay and these things go for anywhere from $15-$25 and more. And that sold. Not even great condition.

So where can I tell her to get it appraised? Any ideas?
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear
Maybe https://reverb.com/
Maybe Elderly Instruments.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

Norm's Rare Guitars could probably do it right.

Or even the guys at Guitar Center in Hollywood [the vintage dept. downstairs].

There's Orion Blue Books, a guy named Shelley Herman used to be with them, if he's still around.

Best,

audioforce
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru
I've heard good things about Elderly. You could also ask https://www.themusicemporium.com/
Dream Guitars also is in Carolina. They both are reputable and could sell on consignment.....
Old 25th June 2019
Gear Guru

Nobody reputable is going to ballpark it based on photos. With something like a 63 Strat, "all original" is a big deal and they'd want to pull it apart and look at the body and neck stamps, the date codes on the pots, the soldering, probably check the body with a UV lamp for overspray... stuff like that.

I don't know who to recommend in SF, around here it'd be Norm's in Tarzana.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

You will need to either take it in somewhere or ship it to have it properly appraised. Gruhns or Cotten Music in Nashville would be trustworthy - Gruhns is better known but I know Kim Sherman who owns Cotten and she will do you right so I would suggest Cotten if you prefer a reference.

I recently sold a 1960 Strat through Kim - also sold a 1939 Martin D18 and a 1964 Fender Deluxe and I was very happy with the sale although letting my Strat go was perhaps more difficult than when my parents passed away.

You definitely want to get it appraised and properly insured as it will be worth a pretty penny. Figure $15,000 to maybe as high as $20,000 depending on the shape and whether or not any modificiations have been made and from the sound of it there have not been any mods done.

I would also suggest insuring it through a company that handles musical instruments. I would suggest Clarion but others may chime in with other options.

Good luck.
Old 25th June 2019
Lives for gear

I'd second the recommendations here. This is not like appraising an "ordinary" instrument. At this level, degrees of originality can make substantial differences in price, as can trusted opinions that the instrument is not assembled from bits of several vintage instruments. If your friend has any provenance like photos of her father with the instrument in the 60s, or (even better) A SALES RECEIPT, this can help push up the appraisal also.

There's a '63 on Reverb right now in very nice cosmetic shape, but with a rewound pickup and a non-original case for $ 21K
https://reverb.com/p/fender-stratoca...&hfid=25193004
Old 26th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I have an old high school friend who wants to sell her fathers old guitar and amp. Its a 1963 Strat. She says it hasn’t been played in 40 years. Her father passed long ago. I looked at eBay and these things go for anywhere from $15-$25 and more. And that sold. Not even great condition.

Real Guitars in SF.
Old 26th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Norm's Rare Guitars could probably do it right.

Or even the guys at Guitar Center in Hollywood [the vintage dept. downstairs].

There's Orion Blue Books, a guy named Shelley Herman used to be with them, if he's still around.

Best,

audioforce
Guitar Center?????

Why am I not surprised that you'd suggest those hucksters?
Old 26th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Nobody reputable is going to ballpark it based on photos. With something like a 63 Strat, "all original" is a big deal and they'd want to pull it apart and look at the body and neck stamps, the date codes on the pots, the soldering, probably check the body with a UV lamp for overspray... stuff like that.

I don't know who to recommend in SF, around here it'd be Norm's in Tarzana.
Real Guitars. The only place I'd trust in the Bay Area. Home of the great Gary Brawer.

I don't know of any place in Sac. and Dan Alexander's Rose Street Guitars in Berkeley is gone.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac
Bizarre Guitar in Reno?

Wherever you take it, make sure you call ahead to make sure the guy who knows will be there when you get there.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

What part of the country is she in? Your profile says you're in Sacramento. If she's in the area, the answer is simple:

https://jayrosen.com/

In Emeryville.

-bryan
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru

Not a Strat

She sent me a picture. It's definitely NOT a strat. It looks like an early budget model. Anyone know what this is? Single neck pick up.
Attached Thumbnails
Where to get guitars appraised?-cindys-dads-guitar.jpg  
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

That's a Musicmaster - Fender's first attempt at a student guitar

https://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-ti...tars-ever-made

That changes the situation a bit! The amp may be worth more than the guitar?
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru
you may want to take back your marriage proposal.....!
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post
The amp may be worth more than the guitar?
Much more.

LOOK AT THAT AMP. IT LOOKS BRAND NEW. HOLY SHMOLY.

-bryan
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:

That was my exact thought.Thanks.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
you may want to take back your marriage proposal.....!
LOL! I DID have a crush on her in junior high school!
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
LOL! I DID have a crush on her in junior high school!
Dude I take it back! Wait for the amp appraisal.......
Old 27th June 2019
Quote:
She sent me a picture. It's definitely NOT a strat. It looks like an early budget model. Anyone know what this is? Single neck pick up.
It's a Musicmaster. Entry level beginner model, very nice for what it is. Better quality pickup than the equivalent Melody Maker IIRC. Can't really tell from the pic, but they were made in both "full scale" (a bit shorter than a normal Fender, maybe about like a Jaguar) and 3/4 scale, which was about 22".

The Musicmaster and the Duo-Sonic (same guitar with two pickups) were the forerunners of the Mustang.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Agreed - that is the first thought I had when I saw the pic. Who knows, maybe because the guitar was some sort of rare model it will have higher value - no idea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search