The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
A Les Paul needs a couple frets, worth it?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A Les Paul needs a couple frets, worth it?

What does a couple frets on a Les Paul cost now a days. If I need my Epiphone Les Paul's 2nd and 3 rd frets replaced, would that be something I can tap in myself? I did a couple nuts, and some other luthiering.

Hammer it off with a punch and tap in some new ones. Cake.

Whats a pro gonna charge me ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Would you believe I did it.

Finished.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used some old medium medium wire from a project never started.

Heated and lifted with razor blade.

Trim a new peice and shape with dremel tool.

Hammered in the new.

2 and 3 rd fret looks a little different on close inspection.

Works. I never tried nothing like this. Well the nut.

Saved. Not even an hour.
Attached Thumbnails
A Les Paul needs a couple frets, worth it?-20190624_230857.jpg   A Les Paul needs a couple frets, worth it?-20190624_231714.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

A friend of mine with interesting ideas on engineering has a novel method and it does have it's merits, especially on tighter radius necks and those that have been around the block a few times. The two issues he wanted to address is the tearing of the fret slots on those having a lot of playing/working on them wearing out the grab of the damaged slots and the problem of maintaining a smooth radius after hammering, not to mention the exact fit to the edges. He'd use an Xacto saw first, then two of them bolted like bookends to clean and widen the slots just enough so it was possible with some minimal effort to slide the frets in the slots. Then he'd Super Glue the frets in which meant he could exactly match the radius, be assured of an exact fit, that they'd stay perfectly in place but be easily removed with the aid of a soldering iron lightly applied with no further damage to the fretboard. It actually worked very well.

Kudos on your willingness to learn and grow. I'm glad it worked out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mmmm an Xacto saw. Nice.

Super glue, yes it cannot handle the expansion from the heat.

I used some glue on the ends too.

It is important to match the fret materials. Material effects tone.

It is not the best job. My first attempt really. A common black Epiphone Les paul fell on it strings. It left a dent on 2-3. Guitar is worth $100 New. Time to learn, nothing to lose.

I used scotch tape in lieu of masking. So the finish was removed a little on the fret board. It did protect from scratches, but lifted the varnish. I will touch that up.

The fret ends are a little catchy. I buffed them down and hammer tapped to shape. Used a block with 800 and then 1000 grit. The shape is not an exact match. I used a dremel to alter the ends where I clipped it with the clippers. There is always next time.

I have so much respect for the musical instrument that is the Guitar. I was happy to try and repair it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It's essentially a Les Paul clone and has a finish on the fretboard? Yucchh! I hate the feel of a too slick 'n sticky fretboard. If it was that easy to pull off I'd be happy since thjat means it's easy to remove and that's just what I'd do. A good hardwood fretboard can be treated with special light oils like Woodwind Bore Oil to clean, keep from drying out and protect. That's my preference but to each his own.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
Would you believe I did it.

Finished.
Love it! Kudos. It's great when players take minor repair matters into their own hands. You make a few mistakes (inevitable), and learn from them. Next time, better, and after that, better again.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

it's not rocket science.
just do it...if you need assistance watch a you tube video first

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search