The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Electro Harmonix Power Supply...necessary to use?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Electro Harmonix Power Supply...necessary to use?

Hi all! I've seen mixed info about this around the internet...and of course Electro Harmonix is going to recommend you use their provided power supply.

Question: Is there really a difference between using the Electro Harmonix power supply that comes with the pedal or can I just use my one-spot daisy chained, for example?

The daisy chain seems to be working fine with my nano POG, but I'm not sure if the EH provided power supply would work better for me Freeze pedal, since it seems like it was acting up when I was first testing it...I recently got the pedal so I haven't been able to do much testing. I heard the Freeze pedal just kinda acts up anyway (turns off when it should reactivate, for example...which totally kills the vibe of what I'm playing).

Hope the question makes sense. Thanks for your time and input!

-Zack
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackdavidmusic View Post
Hi all! I've seen mixed info about this around the internet...and of course Electro Harmonix is going to recommend you use their provided power supply.

Question: Is there really a difference between using the Electro Harmonix power supply that comes with the pedal or can I just use my one-spot daisy chained, for example?

The daisy chain seems to be working fine with my nano POG, but I'm not sure if the EH provided power supply would work better for me Freeze pedal, since it seems like it was acting up when I was first testing it...I recently got the pedal so I haven't been able to do much testing. I heard the Freeze pedal just kinda acts up anyway (turns off when it should reactivate, for example...which totally kills the vibe of what I'm playing).

-Zack
It's probably acting up because it's a digital pedal that needs enough mA to function properly. Your daisy chain may be expecting more juice than your power supply can deliver. Sometimes those digital pedals don't like being daisy chained too.

If you have an included power supply for it, I suggest you use it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
It's probably acting up because it's a digital pedal that needs enough mA to function properly. Your daisy chain may be expecting more juice than your power supply can deliver. Sometimes those digital pedals don't like being daisy chained too.

If you have an included power supply for it, I suggest you use it.
That's true. Look at how much current your pedals require (in mA), and then how much your supply puts out.

You can also run into issues with ground loops and such, which is why many people use a supply with isolated outputs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackdavidmusic View Post

-Zack
You didn't give the specs of either the pedal or the EH PS.

Lots of pedals work fine with a daisy chain, some don't and a few will actually blow up.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

As an EHX user its definitelly due to not enough ma

The digital ones especially require a higher amount of ma
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search