The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
2x12 w/ speakers for different amps/sounds?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

2x12 w/ speakers for different amps/sounds?

I've looked around alot online and haven't found a similar thread to what I'm looking for -

I've got a Bob Burt 2x12 cabinet and want to use it solely for close mic recording, but using each speaker for different amps/styles. I'm pretty set on getting a Celestion Gold for clean and breakup tones (for use with a Dr Z and Fender blackface type amp), but I'd like to get a second speaker for more heavy organic tones. Not modern metal/scooped stuff, more big fuzz/garage rock/grunge style tones.

My questions are: how much do I need to worry about matching the two speakers wattage if I'm close micing only? What suggestions do you guys have for a speaker that will do well for fuzzed out/grungy tones while retaining as much clarity as possible? Trying to avoid a muddy mess which happens pretty easily with that style...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The only worry about wattage is that the speaker(s) can handle the amp output. If you are going to connect the speakers together in series or parallel, your total wattage of the cabinet will be two times of the lower wattage speaker. If you are going to use them for separate amps (wired separately) like you said, then the speakers are totally on their own of course.

Furthermore, it's good to think about the speaker sensitivity. Sensitivity of the speaker and wattage of the amp will determine how loud you will be. (When the two different speakers are connected together the sensitivity should be around the same to get even loudness.)

Celestion Vintage 30 has punch and that upper mid range peak for clarity. Some love it, some hate it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search