The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
thicker high freqencies
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Angus Young apparently plays .009's. Not sure if anything else needs to be said on the subject.
Ah, but what does (did) Malcolm play?

EDIT: Apparently this has been answered.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
His brother played 12s, apparently. But, again, see all the information above. they are getting their tone and sustain boost through all kinds of other stuff.

Best,

audioforce
Angus used his wireless for "tone shaping". I don't believe that Mal used much besides his Marshall but I'm not certain. I suppose I could ask Terry but I really don't want to bother him for GS trivia.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
I'm just kind of wondering how long this thread will go on before we explain what is meant by "thick" high frequencies. : )

I wonder if there is a more accurate description.

I mean, how high are these thick frequencies anyway?

cheers,

audioforce
Didn't I ask something like that 4 or 5 pages ago? Not that I expect any coherent answer - or maybe any answer at all....

Last edited by John Eppstein; 2 weeks ago at 09:08 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Didn't I ask sometyhing like that 4 or 5 pages ago? Not that I expect any coherent answer - or maybe any answer at all....
You know, I think you did.

I agree, one of the oddest thread titles I've seen for awhile.

What's even funnier is it seems like we all just jumped right in anyway. Ha, ha.

I remember looking at the title at the beginning and going WTF???? But then......................... : )

Take care,

audioforce
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah, but what does (did) Malcolm play?

EDIT: Apparently this has been answered.
Yeah, .12's
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm just kind of wondering how long this thread will go on before we explain what is meant by "thick" high frequencies. : )

I wonder if there is a more accurate description.

I mean, how high are these thick frequencies anyway?

cheers,

audioforce
It was literally in the original post. I explained he's hitting the B string in that example. I assumed that most people here would already know a B string on a strat normally doesn't sound that "thick", "beefy"...whatever adjective to use for lack of a scientific explanation. It almost sounds like he's hitting that note on the D or G string.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty45 View Post
I'm a clean player. I like very clean tones (Most notably John Frusciante) and I just can't get my high end to sit so well. Everything comes across too thin and needle-y. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJj5-lubeM

Listen to the opening riff. This is the best example. He's playing the B string and still getting that super warm thickness out of it. How the hell can I do that? I play a strat as well. Any ideas?
Could it be the mic that was used? Try a mic with a warmer HF response. Try different mic placements.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by play/record View Post
Could it be the mic that was used? Try a mic with a warmer HF response. Try different mic placements.
The closest I've gotten to it is with S-gear actually. I can blend clean amp with distorted settings and play with different things. Its really amazing actually. Best amp sim I've used by far.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Oh ok. You'r using amp sims. Have you tried mic'ing an amp?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Oh ok. You'r using amp sims. Have you tried mic'ing an amp?
Yeah. I only own my DSL 40C. Played with many different ways of micing and recording but honestly S-gear just sounds better than it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. I only own my DSL 40C. Played with many different ways of micing and recording but honestly S-gear just sounds better than it.
For clean tones, Fender amps are the way to go. Even a Blues Jr. sounds really nice.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was literally in the original post. I explained he's hitting the B string in that example. I assumed that most people here would already know a B string on a strat normally doesn't sound that "thick", "beefy"...whatever adjective to use for lack of a scientific explanation. It almost sounds like he's hitting that note on the D or G string.
Sounds like a B string [with the bass notes on a different string].

"Thick high frequencies" is kind of an oxymoron. You're prolly looking for less highs and more mids.

But if you won't post what your guitar sounds like, you're going to be getting non-responses, basically.

Do you understand?

Play the little RHCP thing, or anything similar, and let us hear it, so we can help you make it better.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds like a B string [with the bass notes on a different string].

"Thick high frequencies" is kind of an oxymoron. You're prolly looking for less highs and more mids.

But if you won't post what your guitar sounds like, you're going to be getting non-responses, basically.

Do you understand?

cheers,

audioforce
5 pages of non-responses to be exact...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
5 pages of non-responses to be exact...
Well we'll try to help you with it if you'll let us, O.K?

Post a little something of the guitar sound you're getting. It doesn't have to be fancy or anything.

cheers,

audioforce
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Yeah, well, the DSL amps are not exactly my favorite Marshalls.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
For clean tones, Fender amps are the way to go. Even a Blues Jr. sounds really nice.
Meh. A Blues Jr is not the amp I'd want for clean tones. A "'65" Deluxe Reverb RI is more like it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Meh. A Blues Jr is not the amp I'd want for clean tones. A "'65" Deluxe Reverb RI is more like it.
'68 Princeton Reissue. Fight me!
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
'68 Princeton Reissue. Fight me!
Nah.

The '68 is OK but it's not a real "reissue", they modded it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nah.

The '68 is OK but it's not a real "reissue", they modded it.
It's the best of the bunch. The modded it in the right way, especially with a few tweaks from a competent tech.

The '68 reissues sound much more vintage than the '65 reissues in my opinion.

Being a "real reissue" doesn't matter if they sound better. The '65's aren't a "real reissue" either considering manufacturing methodology of the circuits and inevitable differences in iron and certain components.

While we are at it, the cream knob Fender Vibrolux Reverb they put out beginning in the late 90's or early 2000's is a sweet little amp despite the fact it isn't based on any of the original designs. Great bottom end on those amps and quite a bargain on the used market.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW I'm pretty impressed by the 45 watt Fender Bassbreaker and wonder why the hell Fender didn't get it that Tweed is da doo-doo and continued evolving that design instead of letting others take the ball and run with it. Even Leo apparently had his Rip Van Winkle moments apparently.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstapper View Post
It's the best of the bunch. The modded it in the right way, especially with a few tweaks from a competent tech.

The '68 reissues sound much more vintage than the '65 reissues in my opinion.

Being a "real reissue" doesn't matter if they sound better. The '65's aren't a "real reissue" either considering manufacturing methodology of the circuits and inevitable differences in iron and certain components.
Whatever. It doesn't sound like a real vintage Deluxe Reverb. If people want a modded Deluxe they can pay a tech to give them exactly what they want.

"Better" is subjective. I don't think it sounds "better", just different. I don't have anything against FMIC making a "deluxe" series amp that sounds different, but I DO strenuously object to them claiming it's a "reissue" of a classic amp. To me that's false advertising, which is against the law (not that the law means a hell of a lot in the days of Ronald Rump, who has turned false advertising into a low art.)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That S Gear Sounding better, makes sense... Example, if you are looking for a fender sound for example, it doesnt matter how great, expensive or acclaimed an amp is. The closest thing to a Fender is a fender (real, or well emulated). A Marshall (real or emulated) will sound like a marshall.

It sounds for this tone, the specific tone you were looking for was more closely achievable by the amp your S Gear was emulating
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Id argue for trying a good REAL tube amp over a sim.. Sorry, sims dont capture the dynamics of real tubes & speakers.
And Id say try a Fender if you like cleans, and Id push for a twin or something with 12's if you want a thicker, warmer sound. Id also be very selective of the speakers. Everybody has their prefs, but I tend to like Alnicos for cleans. & I tend to like them in a nice warm custom made cab.
I wouldnt get too hung up on strings. ...Experiment, but just play whats comfortable for you, and dont get stuck thinking weight is going to make all the difference.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatever. It doesn't sound like a real vintage Deluxe Reverb. If people want a modded Deluxe they can pay a tech to give them exactly what they want.

"Better" is subjective. I don't think it sounds "better", just different. I don't have anything against FMIC making a "deluxe" series amp that sounds different, but I DO strenuously object to them claiming it's a "reissue" of a classic amp. To me that's false advertising, which is against the law (not that the law means a hell of a lot in the days of Ronald Rump, who has turned false advertising into a low art.)
You have really lost me now.

so you recommended the Deluxe Reverb Reissue and now are recommending against it?

Or are you suggesting that the '68 Princeton Reverb reissue I recommended over your '65 Deluxe Reissue doesn't sound like a vintage Deluxe?

Check your meds, dude.

In any event, the '68 Princeton Reissue sounds more like a vintage Princeton than the '65 Princeton Reissue and the '65 Deluxe Reissue does not sound as good as the modded circuit of the '68 reissues which have essentially an enhanced feedback loop. But I agree with you that your Deluxe Reverb Reissue suggestion doesn't sound like a vintage Deluxe although I find the fact you have disagreed with yourself perplexing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search