The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Stratocaster with rails, need Super Switch for Hum cancel?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The new pickup was here. I put it in there.

All 5 positions silent as supposed to be with standard switching. Now I got to try the Super switch. We talked about it too much. Must have invoked its name.

Seymour Duncan should be proud.

Sound is unfathomable. Without fathom.

Great pickups from duncan as a base, and Kelling Sound 3 way varitone push pull tone controls, open up many options. As a player I like that!
Attached Thumbnails
Stratocaster with rails, need Super Switch for Hum cancel?-20190627_124558.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You're correct, except that the key word here is "significantly". Hot rails are so narrow that the tonality difference is not really significant.
Here is a screen pic of the VG-99 simulation for the V guitar. You can place the virtual pickup all over the place. The body the neck, the bridge. The stretch , it has a fantastic interface. I used it to plan my project a little.

To illustrate what I claimed, the differences are noticeable and measured in mm. Not just talking smack.

I highly recommend The Roland V systems. V guitar, V bass, V synth, they all V link and can handle a show. A great modeller when its time to put up, without tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
Stratocaster with rails, need Super Switch for Hum cancel?-20190628_130116.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are all of these 5 way super switch positions hum cancelling? Is this even correct? 5 way super switch H H set up for 1 vol and 1 tone. I would like the humbuckers to split with a vol push pull.

I currently have the splits for the 2 humbuckers on the vol push pull. One tone. These selections look choice.

Aha , It is wrong. I think this is for a neck Tone control also. How would I consolidate the tones? Make the circuit the way I need?
Attached Thumbnails
Stratocaster with rails, need Super Switch for Hum cancel?-one-split-pot.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
I've told you before, if you tell me exactly what you want, I can draw you a diagram (if it's doable). Again, specify 1 to 5 push-pull up, then push-pull down.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 way super switch H H set up for 1 vol and 1 tone. I would like the humbuckers to split with a vol push pull.

1 Bridge humbucker parallel
2 bridge humbucker series
3 Neck and bridge humbuckers series
4 neck humbucker parallel
5 neck humbucker series

Vol push pull does the splits for humbuckers

Lets do the tone , Fender TBX style.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
And the middle pickup?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The stratocaster is done. That had the 3x rails, the Seymour Duncan SHR-1 set.

I got a mean Yen to do it again. My Soloist has the Distortion set. It is a H H with a 5 way and 1 Vol 1 tone. No middle on that one.

I really believe in those sets from Seymour duncan. Perfectly matched pickup positions that act and respond as they should.

Is there a pickup brand you like? Or any particular pickup that kicks out the jams others need to try? The Frenandez Sustainiac?

I think this is a wild diagram. Is it correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Stratocaster with rails, need Super Switch for Hum cancel?-wiring1.png  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
5 way super switch H H set up for 1 vol and 1 tone. I would like the humbuckers to split with a vol push pull.

1 Bridge humbucker parallel
2 bridge humbucker series
3 Neck and bridge humbuckers series
4 neck humbucker parallel
5 neck humbucker series

Vol push pull does the splits for humbuckers

Lets do the tone , Fender TBX style.
So push-pull up would be:

1 Bridge split
2 Bridge split
3 Neck split in series with bridge split
4 Neck split
5 Neck split

And no normal (I mean parallel) bridge + neck, neither full nor split?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes, that would cover the best selections.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Bridge and neck splits are done on a Vol push pull. I placed the neck on one side and bridge on the other, on the six pin push pull switch box. The middle's red and white split wires are twisted together off to the side. Would I be able to connect those middle pickup split wires on that same push pull? Even though the push pulls DPDT terminals are taken on both sides already.

Could I stack it on with bridge split? Trying to say, can all 3 pickups be split by the same push pull?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Yes, that would cover the best selections.
Sorry, one correction, I misinterpreted the wording of the diagram you posted, position 3 is in fact both pickups in parallel as usual, what they mean by "series" is that each is wired in series, as humbuckers normally are.

Also with a normal push-pull you can't split the pickups in the parallel positions, so in the end it's like this:

Push-pull down:

1 - Bridge parallel
2 - Bridge series
3 - Bridge series + Neck series
4 - Neck parallel
5 - Neck series

Push-pull up:

1 - Bridge parallel
2 - Bridge split (slugs coil)
3 - Bridge split (slugs coil) + Neck split (screws coil)
4 - Neck parallel
5 - Neck split (screws coil)

I hope this works for you, at least you don't have any repeated positions with the push-pull up, which may be useful.

Note that for hum cancellation one pickup has to be split to the screws coil and the other to the slugs coil, so with the pickups installed in the usual way, both are split to the coil closer to the neck, which I've found to be the best option when they are split individually. However if you want push-pull up / pos. 3 to be inner or outer coils, just turn around one of the pickups accordingly.

I've used the Seymour Duncan color code and NG means neck green, NW neck white, BR bridge black, etc. If you use different pickups, there are many equivalence tables, like this one. Also solder any shields or bare wires to the back of the tone pot where all the grounds go. And I forgot to indicate in the diagram that if the switch is as seen from the back, the lever pointing away from you, lever to the left would be 5 (neck) and to the right 1 (bridge).

If anything isn't clear, let me know.

Edit: TBX tone as requested, I didn't write the component values but I understand (I've never used it) that the standard values are 82k and 22nF.
Attached Thumbnails
Stratocaster with rails, need Super Switch for Hum cancel?-mark1971.png  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Could I stack it on with bridge split? Trying to say, can all 3 pickups be split by the same push pull?
No, you need one pole per pickup. The only option would be to use an S1 pot, if you don't mind the ridiculous price and the fact that you need a special knob too...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

This looks like a really nice way to split all 3 with one push pull on the volume control.
Attached Thumbnails
Stratocaster with rails, need Super Switch for Hum cancel?-thisoneforstrat.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
This looks like a really nice way to split all 3 with one push pull on the volume control.
Yup, that will work. Sorry, it was bedtime here and I wrote too fast, in fact I already had figured out how to do it for the switching I proposed in post 18.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search