The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Noisy Pickups for a Strat
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Noisy Pickups for a Strat

I'm shopping around for the noisiest, most obnoxiously hot single coil to throw in an old strat of mine. It's for a lot of things, but mainly i'll be recording with this guitar and I need something that I can intentionally produce feedback with and get really noisy tones out of. Any ideas?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RondeMay View Post
I'm shopping around for the noisiest, most obnoxiously hot single coil to throw in an old strat of mine. It's for a lot of things, but mainly i'll be recording with this guitar and I need something that I can intentionally produce feedback with and get really noisy tones out of. Any ideas?
THE SINNER SINGLE COIL STRAT

https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk...er-single-coil
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

YES those are some great pickups, and definately ones that I was eyeing actually. All of bareknuckle's stuff seems top notch. I'm not sure i want to drop $200 worth of pickups into this thing just for a beastmode guitar but I just may. Perhaps i'll just get one for the middle position pickup? Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Producing feedback has mainly to do with operating your amplifier at an adequate level (translation: LOUD.) Hendrix got plenty of feedback with plain ole stock Strat pickups - from an era where Fender's pickups were at their worst.

Overwound hot pickups will be lacking in highs. Hot pickups that use super strong magnets will cause additional string drag which will tend to inhibit feedback.

What are you using for an amp?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

My main amp is an Ampeg Gemini 1 60's model also I love my little Valve Jr with random external cabs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
My main amp is an Ampeg Gemini 1 60's model also I love my little Valve Jr with random external cabs.
HMMmmm.... You might need a bigger amp for feedback stuff. The Gemini might cut it, or might not depending on the version. IIRC the very old ones were a bit short on gain, but it's been a long time since I played one. Putting a gain pedal in front of the amp might help. The Gemini I was originally intended for accordions and jazz guitarists, so it's not real gainy by itself. Toward the late '60s Ampeg did a bit of a rerfurbishing of the design, it's possible that they updated the preamp.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah, I have the earlier model, not much gain, although it sounds great dimed. That being said i've had great success with a fulldrive on it. I also have a 00's reissue twin that's in the shop
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Yeah, I have the earlier model, not much gain, although it sounds great dimed. That being said i've had great success with a fulldrive on it. I also have a 00's reissue twin that's in the shop
Lovely amp. Not much good for feedback stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search