The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Digital Gear
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Digital Gear

I just watched Glenn Fricker's Spectre Studio Gear Review on the Mooer GE300 multi-FX and amp sim unit.

I should probably get a good multi-FX/amp sim at some point, and I am just looking for some objective opinions on the matter.

I don't like the character of digital gear, but I have never played a Helix or Kemper either.

The Mooer GE300 sounds amazing in this review, especially in comparison to the Boss GT1000, which in the top demo video you can tell that they are trying hard to cover up the digital character in post-production.

In the Pete Thorn review of the Helix, it just doesn't sound as "powerful," "clear," or "present" as I would want. This is exactly how I feel about what the the Line 6 DL4 does. It makes the guitar sound "thin/lacking".

My Boss MD-500, a modulation FX unit, adds so much digital character that it is sickening. It took a lot to get it calm down and it's still not worth it even though I love all of the features.
It sounds like canned Coca Cola tastes. It adds a very distinct character.

I like my older Fender G-DEC modeling amp. It's more or less characterless, and only a little bit "thin/lacking."

I'm not a big fan of the character Blackstar solid-state amps add either. It's not that bad; better than what I observed with the DL4 unit. It's less "thin/lacking," but it is still not all the way there in much they same way.

Can anybody tell me about whether Kemper, Axe FX, Line-6, etc have units that are really able to produce the quality that I know should be possible today, based on solid-state, and digital technology that exists already?

Does the future hold even greater technological advancements in these matters?

Thank you fellow ears!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search