The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
BBE 386 Acoustic Preamp???
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

BBE 386 Acoustic Preamp???

Anyone have any experience with one of these? I was buying a console the other day and the guy was unloading equipment and offered me two for $10, so I bit not knowing anything about them. Schematics show BBE was maybe trying to build something nice with them but they’re mostly for running direct. We always set up a cab and mic it so I’m not sure I’ll find much use from them. Any secret uses for one of these?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have one that I use for rehearsals. I plug it directly into the mixer for this, and it works surprisingly well. The distortion channel is pretty darn good on these; I actually have a harder time getting the clean sound that I want, but it can be done. I don't mess with the BBE process on these, as I don't think it improves anything. But for a solid-state two-channel preamp, it does surprisingly well. I used it in my live rig for a while, but I went back to using a Pearce preamp because it sounds better (as it should). I tried the BBE because it saved a rack space, but I missed that Pearce.

They got pretty good reviews when they first came out, but guitar players are so @#$% tube-centric that they wouldn't give them a chance.

P.S. I'm one of those guys who plays generally on the edge of distortion, and it actually did that pretty well. I don't venture into modern metal sounds, so I'm not sure how it would do for those really high-gain tones.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search