The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Boutique 1x12 Fender-style amp in the $1,000-$2,000 range?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Boutique 1x12 Fender-style amp in the $1,000-$2,000 range?

Been out of the boutique amp game for a while, and my friend is looking for a KILLER 1x12 amp under $2k new or used. Options are fine but he just needs one good clean 3D high-end channel and he'll go from there.

-Something better than a Fender Deluxe Reissue, those are his fallback if he cant find something.

-He's alrdy got a Super Reverb reissue, and it's too heavy and too loud, wants a 1x12 preferably.

-Fender-style or even Dumble-ish or thereabouts, something with nice cleans that takes pedals well into overdrive territory. Dont need heavy/metal types, or tons of channels/options.

Who are the 1x12 Fender-ish style boutique players, or specific models, out there these days? Anything under $2,000 new/used or is that pushing it?

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Been out of the boutique amp game for a while, and my friend is looking for a KILLER 1x12 amp under $2k new or used. Options are fine but he just needs one good clean 3D high-end channel and he'll go from there.

-Something better than a Fender Deluxe Reissue, those are his fallback if he cant find something.

-He's alrdy got a Super Reverb reissue, and it's too heavy and too loud, wants a 1x12 preferably.

-Fender-style or even Dumble-ish or thereabouts, something with nice cleans that takes pedals well into overdrive territory. Dont need heavy/metal types, or tons of channels/options.

Who are the 1x12 Fender-ish style boutique players, or specific models, out there these days? Anything under $2,000 new/used or is that pushing it?

Thanks!
I love my Fender SuperSonic 60w 1x12 combo. I use the Bassman clean side (it also has a Vibrolux clean) and never use the Burn channel. I use distortion pedals into the amp for crunch/distortion. I saw Jeff Beck playing a SuperSonic 60W combo in a video a few years ago and he sounded great as usual. Overall I prefer the pure clean of a Twin but the SuperSonic does give the Bassman vibe. I used to have a 60's Blackface Bassman and I can hear how Fender has emulated the Bassman into the SuperSonic 60W combo.
Old 4 weeks ago
A friend put an old black face Showman head into a Deluxe Reverb cab, it fits perfectly. He has 88 watts of clean with a small size and low weight. A master volume will allow even more control of SPL's.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I suggest checking out on eBay who in your country is currently making hand built 5E3 tweed clones and then looking for reviews of their work.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comments gang!

My friend loves his Super Reverb, it's just too loud and too heavy. He's looking for a 1x12 combo, more or less like a "boutique" Deluxe Reverb, 30'ish watt range, doesnt need infinite clean headroom, or else he'll probably just pick up the Deluxe Reverb reissue.

I remember there were a bunch of boutique builders like... Fargen, Dr. Z, Bogner, ToneKing, Fuchs, Divided by 13, and a buuuunch of others I'm blanking out on but when I looked those ones up they have gotten very pricey. Im just not sure who is doing boutique Fender Blackface style amps anymore under $2,000 ish, seems everything I find is either Marshall and Tweed, or mico-wattage anps with little or no cleans at all.

Am I asking too much?! Haha, thanks everyone
Old 4 weeks ago
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

www.mcclostone.com

I just got almost exactly what you are describing, kind of a beefed up 1x12 Princeton Reverb, ~25W.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search