The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Best Fender 5 way switch
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Best Fender 5 way switch

What is the favored Fender five way switch for the pickup selector? Why? I want something with German Ball Bearings.

The CRL spring loaded?

The factory Fender 5 way?

The Switchcraft box with 8 tabs on the same side ala Mex made Stratocaster?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Not sure about the ball bearings, but these are German at least:
https://schaller.info/en/megaswitche...aswitches?c=19
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Switchcraft
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Because it is the cheapest? I heard the switchcraft box style is very good, and has more tone /signal than the Fender brand type. Perhaps the contacts cover more area on the Switchcraft or better conductor materials. I don't know?

This one is real close to what I got. Of course its not in stock.

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post
Because it is the cheapest? I heard the switchcraft box style is very good, and has more tone /signal than the Fender brand type. Perhaps the contacts cover more area on the Switchcraft or better conductor materials. I don't know?

Not because its cheap but because it is good quality. The regular fender style Switchcraft product is fine.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm not as fond of Switchcraft as I was 30 years ago. I don't know why.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1971 View Post

Swichcraft open frame as used in the US made Fenders. Most durable of the Strat type switches, contacts accessible for easy cleaning.

Dunno about ball bearings - I don't know of any such switch that has them. Seems to me it would add unnecessary bulk and cost, and I've never had a bearing problem with the traditional Switchcraft.

I personally do not care for the box style switches, but anything Switchcraft is quality.

A quality switch should not affect tone or signal strength in any way.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Maybe he means the ball in the detent.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I favor the CRL brand, it's what Robin Trower guitars have in them. He is constantly switching pickups, CONSTANTLY and you never EVER hear noise from the switching.

The 5-way switches in all my Fender branded guitars have become noisy and I've changed them out with CRL, now I have no noise at all when switching pickups. Totally reliable and great feel.

I just replaced the 3-way in one of my Telecasters with a brand new CRL, great tone, no noise when switching.

Stew Mac has got them and includes the knob(s). Amazon has got them too. Around $15 each.

Good music to all!
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Maybe he means the ball in the detent.
Maybe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search