The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Help identifying wires on a hotrail.
Old 4 weeks ago
Help identifying wires on a hotrail.

I got this cheapo pickup to put into an acoustic guitar for giggles. It did not come with any wiring instructions.

Can anyone help me identify which leads are meant to connect to which parts? It's a single-pickup circuit connecting to a volume, tone pot, and output jack.
Attached Thumbnails
Help identifying wires on a hotrail.-20190613_172051.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Psychic ability not working today.

Every pickup manufacturer seems to have their own color code for wiring. You need to contact the pickup maker.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Psychic ability not working today.
Haha fair enough. I was thinking that perhaps due to the location of each different colour wire it would be possible to work out for those in the know.
Old 4 weeks ago

Well, since only 3 wires are on the switchplate end, I bet one is common (ground) and the other two are the other end of the two coils.....

-tINY

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Do you have a DMM? Measure resistance between each pair of wires, at least this will let you know which pair goes to each coil. Then wire them in series one way (e.g. if the coils are green-red and white-black, wire green to ground, red+white together, black is hot) then the other (e.g. green is ground, red and black together, white is hot) and see which one gives a hotter and fuller output (=coils in phase). Since I guess it's the only pickup on that guitar, you don't have to worry about overall phase, just between the coils.

BTW for an acoustic you may also like parallel wiring, so in the example above it would be either green+white to ground, red+black is hot or green+black to ground, red+white is hot. It will have lower output but still cancel hum and give you a more single-coil-ish sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

it's probably like this:

Red: + (or the hot wire)
White: -
Small black wire: ground
Thick wire: green and black wire (as seen on the backside of the pickup) wired together (these wires can be used for coil splitting etc.)
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Figel View Post
it's probably like this:

Red: + (or the hot wire)
White: -
Small black wire: ground
Thick wire: green and black wire (as seen on the backside of the pickup) wired together (these wires can be used for coil splitting etc.)
The thick wire could also be a shield tied to ground.

Guessing about the thin wires is just guessing - I've seen pickups from various makers that used black, red, and white (not at the same time) for hot.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search