The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
I notice Gibson Les Paul Customs are back to ebony fingerboards
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Oh, yeah, I actually meant to say, "How about a nice maple fingerboard Les Paul"?
Old 23rd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
Oh, yeah, I actually meant to say, "How about a nice maple fingerboard Les Paul"?
They've made them off and on since the 70s.

In 2011/2012 when they had the issue with 'the feds' they used "baked" (torrefied) maple on USA Les Pauls as a substitute for a while.
Old 23rd July 2019
Like a broken clock Gibson is right about twice a day. I feel fortunate to own some of their best efforts here. The 1967 Trini Lopez is perfect. The 2009 custom shop 1968 Les Paul Custom is also perfect in every way. They know how to do it, getting them to do it is the problem.
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
This is just my opinion.
First I believe the best les Paul ever made was in 1959, so why not build all les Paul’s similar?

. . .

They charge $6,499.00 for it.
That is insane....
Ironically one thing that sold like crazy and helped Gibson out of the nolin era, was an affordable 59.
6.5k is not affordable. That’s a lawyer guitar...
A 59 style should be called the “standard “ and be around $2499.00.

But they won't sell then for $2499.00 when they can charge $6,499.00.

The 59 Gibson price list states that the "Les Paul" model sells for $265 plus $47 for the case.

Run that through a CPI calculator and the value of $ 312 today is $2,692.

Employment and regulatory costs have risen since 1959, as has wood costs, but so has the efficiency of finance and industrial production, and corporate taxes have fallen in real terms.

Your $2499.00 is not that far out.

Part of this is the concept that I cannot get my head around that it now takes a master builder with 30 years experience working in a"custom shop" environment to produce the same quality of instrument that was being made by ordinary (and often unionized) industrial workers in the 1950s , and it costs 2-3 times as much.

Last year I purchased a Rickenbacker 360/12 c63 It certainly appears no easier to construct than a Les Paul. It has a semi hollow body, full body and neck binding full neck inlays etc. The only substantive reason for a price difference that I can see is that it does not have an inlaid head stock . It was under $3,000.
Old 23rd July 2019
Gear Addict

3k would be fine....and still think it should be the “standard”

And just take a pass on the volutes and paper fingerboards...
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, if someone need / wants a volute, or a couple of them, it could be an upgrade option. Like, say $50.00 extra, per volute.
Old 23rd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
How about a nice maple neck Les Paul?
No. They're done that and it has an adverse effect on tone.
Old 23rd July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post

Which is pretty stupid because they could sell 4 times as many at a reasonable price.
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk martin View Post

Which is pretty stupid because they could sell 4 times as many at a reasonable price.
I don't think you'd last long at Gibson. You aren't seeing how epi and it's price structure fits into the bigger pic for Gibson, much less how a 6k set of models drive upward momentum for deep-pocket buyers over time.

I bet Chevrolet's never been told it could sell 4 times as many corvettes if priced at $35,000 ea.

Logistically, Gibson itself already has les pauls at 2400. What do you do with those? Dump their prices to epi price ranges? Discontinue them? Just throw the lpc in there at the same price?

There's nothing stupid imo with having the lpc at the 6k range. Esp if the consensus is that the quality is there. At any rate, I'll buy mine for somewhere around dealer cost. Which won't be as low as in 1974, but hey.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
They've made them off and on since the 70s.

In 2011/2012 when they had the issue with 'the feds' they used "baked" (torrefied) maple on USA Les Pauls as a substitute for a while.
I actually like the looks and idea. Never owned one, but I think they are kind of cool in their own way. [I do love Ebony fingerboards though].

Funny, but Barry Bailey of Atlanta Rhythm Section was reportedly known to play them sometimes. Everyone assumes he always used a Les Paul Deluxe, but I heard he actually used a humbucker equipped Tele and maybe a Maple Fingerboard Les Paul in the studio quite a bit.

And here is a video of him with what certainly appears to be a Maple Fingerboard Les Paul, or a copy of one.

Ha, ha. Yay Norlins. Lots of different good Les Pauls, huh?

Best always,

audioforce
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm sure some piano players lost their sh!t when they couldn't have their ivory anymore, but we all seem to have gotten over it.
Strangely, no pianists I know of really cared either way. The plastic replacements were that good.

However, ivory does give you more 'grip' - it absorbs sweat. And it is warmer to the touch.
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by piano View Post
Strangely, no pianists I know of really cared either way. The plastic replacements were that good.

However, ivory does give you more 'grip' - it absorbs sweat. And it is warmer to the touch.
Interesting. I wonder what other materials would work -- bone, Tusq? You also see celluloid sometimes on older pianos.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search